MN Area Service

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by Nasteff, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Nasteff

Nasteff New Member

where do or have you guys taken your camper for service? How would you rate their prices / service? Located in MN metro area & surrounding. We have a popup and lot of the places I’ve checked won’t work on them.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Coates RV in Hugo works on pups, but they aren't cheap.

Mike's LP in Maplewood won't service pups but they can order you parts. I have used them many times for parts and the always have them ready for me by the next day.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sorry not much help for you. sadly the same is true for my area however I also ran into, "we don't work on Coleman/fleetwoods". I found one place that was at least willing to work on my breaks, wheels, or barrings but nothing popup specific. Three hours away from me is a place that could work on my popup, but I've just learned to take care of anything that I can myself. taking a day off of work just to drop the camper off only for them to take a couple weeks to fix just wasn't cost effective.

4. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

What type of service do you need? Might dictate what kinda shop I'd send you.

Popups are treated like the step kids of the RV industry at most shops. More $$ in diesel pushers than popup repairs..

5. Nasteff

Nasteff New Member

I wanted to shop around for the cost to add rooftop a/c in the future just to have a general number.

6. Nasteff

Nasteff New Member

Niemeyer’s told me they would not do it because of it being a Coleman/fleetwood and they don’t wanna deal with the roof. Hilltop said 700-900 depending if roof supports were needed and they had no problems with it being Coleman/ fleetwood and would only not do it if they saw structural damage that would make it unsafe. Coates said they would be able to do it but would call back with price.

7. J Starsky

I know it's not cities local, but I think these guys had a repair guy that installed my dad's fridge in his 1989 Ultra when nobody wanted to do it. Cheap too. https://www.sirencountrycampers.com/index.html Worth an email to see if interested. I'll check with him tonight.

8. Nasteff

Nasteff New Member

Coates quoted me 1250 possibly more depending on wiring... that’s a pretty big diff between hilltop

J Starsky likes this.
  9. J Starsky

Imperial was a help when I had my cables cut. I couldn't find the correct cables for my 1984, so I made them. Coats did help with another, but charged 1/2 hour to shorten one. Hilltop pretty much told me to have a good day, but there name is still on the side of my pup....

10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Yeah, Coates is definitely on the high end with their prices. I ordered a replacement switch for my lift motor from them and they wanted $56 for it. I found the exact same switch at Grainger for under $10. Ya gotta shop around.

J Starsky likes this.
  11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Hilltop is my go to place, but I have a Jayco. Their parts selection is nice, everything I have ever needed for my pup.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Never had to deal with a RV service person yet. I hired a guy from Hamel to weld my frame once though when a factory weld cracked and made the door and step unstable. All other repairs/mods I've been able to do myself (including a surprise converter repair last night, see my other thread for more info on that)

13. Nasteff

Nasteff New Member

I called imperial he told me they would only add an a/c if the camper was already a/c preped, and the wiring was there. Pretty sure my camper does not have the a/c wiring there, and the only way they would know for sure is if i brought it there for them to look at, so that's pretty much a no go from them. Hilltop seems to be the go to, at least so far.

I’m all for doing repairs n such myself but with our ABS roof I don’t wanna take any chances screwing it up since it is in perfect shape. I’d rather have a professional cut that hole lol

14. jmkay1

.I would do more research before you add that AC on the ABS roof. A lot of campers with an ABS roof had trouble with bowing (sagging) in the roof because there are no braces built in to support the AC and over time the roof started sagging. I'm not sure if a shop would be able to add external braces but something to seriously consider.

15. Nasteff

Nasteff New Member

Our roof has a roof brace already installed. I’ve done a lot of reading about the roof and you see a lot from both ends. People say they have an ac on their abs roof and have 0 issues and others it is falling apart with no ac at all... our camper is stored in the garage whenever we aren’t camping so I’m sure being out of the elements helps it a lot.

16. tfischer

You could always have them add the roof AC unit and then do the wiring yourself, or hire someone else to do it.

17. Nasteff

Nasteff New Member

from what ive read in other posts it looked like the wiring was simply a cord in a wiremold across the roof to plug into the dedicated 20 amp outlet which would be simple if thats the case. guy from imperial said that wasn't right and it needed 30 amps for the a/c

18. jmkay1

Does your converter have 30 amps currently? On my popup I have a dedicated 20 amp electical outlet which is strictly for the AC I cannot have anything else use that socket if the AC is operating. That leaves me the other circuit to use for everything else. I think that is what the shop ment by needing 30 amps. If you want to use lights, water pump, etc, etc you need more than 20 amps.

19. Nasteff

Nasteff New Member

Mmm I would have to check, how would you tell? Is there like a 30 amp main breaker or does it just say on the converter?

I know the cord to plug in for power is a 30 amp plug

20. tfischer

I've never heard of a pup AC unit that needs 30 amp. My palomino is "AC Ready" had a 20A dedicated circuit. I put a regular outlet on it and now can plug a portable AC or heater there separate from my normal outlet circuits.