MO. near springfield

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by squirrelbox, Jun 7, 2009.

1. squirrelbox

squirrelbox New Member

Looking for camp grounds near Springfield in NF or other .Out of the way preferred but not necessary . Any recommendations appreciated

2. Budding

Budding New Member

There are a couple of state parks in the area. Table Rock is one that I know a lot of people like. Check out the MO State Parks website and Recreation.gov and put in Springfield, MO. There are several campsites listed on recreation.gov. This is where Mark Twain National Forest will have camp grounds listed.

Good luck!

3. HuskerPUP

HuskerPUP New Member

Aunts Creek has a private cg and a Corp of Engineers cg. We have stayed at both and would recommend both. The Engineers one is directly on Table Rock Lake.

They are side by side and are off of the beaten/touristy path.

We go down that way all the time and really enjoy it.

Happy Camping...

4. TravelinMan

TravelinMan New Member

I live near Beaver Lake, Rogers Ar. Lost Bridge State Park is very nice, and the lake is less traveled than Table Rock. Mark Twain National Forest is south of springfield, if you like trout fishing go to Roaring River State Park. good luck

5. James1963

James1963 New Member

Roaring River does have a nice quiet camp ground. I live in Illinois and Mo is the nearest trout fishing to us. I've been going to Roaring River for about 30 years. One of my favorite places on Earth! Great trout/fly fishing and good clean, well kept grounds. The new and improved dining lodge is a bit pricey. I still miss the old one at the bottom of the hill. Also, another good place to fish and camp is Bennett Spring State Park. I has some better eating choices and the river is a bit less civilized but the hiking isn't quite as good. It's been a few years that I've been there bu we have a week long trip set for later in July. Both are near Springfield but Bennett is a bit closer.

6. drno1

drno1 Those who say it cannot be done get out of our way

We just returned from a five day trip down to Lake Pomme De Terre, which is a bit northwest of Springfield, but I have the following observations as we stayed in two different campgrounds and looked at many others.

1) We stayed initially at Nemo Landing Corps Campground. Granted we reserved late, and so our options for an electric site were very limited, but it was the worst campsite I have ever had or heard about. my neigbor was literally sitting right next to my head when i slept, as their sitting area was that close. The site itself was broken unlevel pavement and rock. We decided that we had the worst site in the place as it was right next to the road, so when we ate, we were basically sitting in the road. (Site 98 for folks counting at home). We did run through the entire campground and found many better sites with hookups that we were writing down to reserve in the future. Nice swim beach for the kids, and plenty of flush toilets and showerhouses, which make it nice amenity wise, but i couldn't help but feel like any site in that place I was ON TOP of my neighbors, which is not our camping style.
    2) we got some rain one day, and since staying at camp sucked due to proximaty to the road and neighbors, we went out and looked at the other campgrounds. We Looked at Pomme de Terre State Park-Pittsburgh Area, and Pomme de Terre State Park- Hermitage Area, along with the Corps ground at Pittsburgh.

Needless to say, we moved to the Pomme De Terre State Park-Pittsburgh area as soon as humanly possible.
    1) if you like big, level sites, with hookups for electric on every site basically, and fully shaded, forest sites, with plenty on the water a few steps away from camp for fishing and swimming, covered picnic tables, water spigots either on your site or a few steps away, this is the place. Our kids could go fish and we could see them from camp, and that is nice!! the campground is very very clean, well kept by the campground hosts, and they are very friendly. Only knock on it from my wife is that pit toilets are in the different loops, and she'd get in the car and drive the few hundred yards to the flush facilities/shower houses, but she didnt mind that much given all the rest of the pluses for the ground.
    the Hermitage area counterpart to this campground was nice as well, but not NEARLY as nice as Pittsburgh as far as shaded sites, and space between folks camping. we fell in love with the Pittsburgh area.
    2) the Corps ground for Pittsburg is completely primative, and an eyesore in my opinion, with firerings in disrepair etc.
    3) So i can wholeheartedly recommend the Pittsburgh Area of the State park, we will return there many times. Hermitage would do in a pinch. We saw the Damsite Area Campground, and it was looking nice from the other side of the lake, but seemed a bit open without as much shade. We didnt get to see the Wheatland Area, but that has come highly recommended. I will never return to Nemo Landing, even though there are some nicer sites than the one we stayed on. Just too...crowded for my tastes.

These areas are just under 2 hours from South Kansas City, which is where we reside, and having gone to college at Springfield many moons ago, i can tell you from driving the route down 7/13 that these campgrounds will be closer still to Springfield.

If you like peaceful, shaded camping, where at night it is NIGHT, and not a dark area lit up by showerhouses and your neighbors lantern five feet from you, this is the place.

Hope this helps!
    [PU] [TV]

Days camped in 2009:11

7. Canoecamper

Canoecamper New Member

Thanks for the recommendation, drno1! We're from the KC Metro area too and are looking for some good weekend escapes with our new pup.

James1963 - I'll second your recommendation for both Roaring River and Bennett Spring State Parks. They are both beautiful campgrounds and, well, the fishing is fabulous! In terms of flyfishing, I think Roaring River is a little more laid-back than Bennett, and if I remember correctly, RR is all bank fishing while Bennett is mostly wading. Have a great trip! [8D]

8. Wishbone

Wishbone New Member

If You camp somewhere near Springfield, Mo You have to eat at Lamberts! Home of Thrown Rolls in Ozark,Mo. Just a Little south Springfield. Also, I'd check with People at Bass Pro for camping in the Area. Wishbone

9. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp