Moab in June? Too hot?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Mile High Mama, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Mile High Mama

Mile High Mama New Member

I'm planning our maiden voyage in our NTus popup in June. We'll be gone nearly 2 weeks and plan to voyage from the Denver area to the Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, and then the Grand Canyon (north rim). On the way back, I was thinking we'd swing into Moab. However, I'm thinking it's going to be getting hot there at that time of year (June 8-11) and we should find another route home. Anyone got any experience with camping in Moab at that time of year? Should we go (and perhaps just camp in the mountains, such as Warner Lake Campground) or wait til the fall?

2. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We've camped there in August (dry camping on BLM lands). August is even hotter than mid-June. It's outrageously hot during the day for hiking, etc. (take LOTS of water and seek out shade before overheating or you run the risk of heat exhaustion or worse).

But at night, the temps drop dramatically, and since there is usually very low humidity, it's ideal camping weather. So much to see: Canyonlands is even more dramatic to me than Arches, and the surrounding BLM land and the national forests are just as awesome.

I'd go it. Be prepared for high heat during the day, but nights are fine.

3. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We have camped in Moab in June. High temperatures aveage in the mid 90's. Early in the month, probably closer to low 90s. However, it can break 100. We have been there 100+, making afternoon hiking very difficult. When the time comes closer, get a 10 day forecast.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The last time I camped in the Moab area in (early) June it was unseasonably hot, hitting 105-110 every day and cooling off to the mid-80s at night (nights were quite comfortable, actually). One evening I was in Arches NP and wanted to hike the 1.5 mile trail up to Delicate Arch to photograph it at sunset. One third of that hike is on extremely steep slick rock that has roasted in the sun all day and reflects the light and heat back on you. When I left the parking lot (with my 27-pound pack of camera gear) it was 106. I thought that it would cool off for the trip back in the dark. It was still 101 when I got back to the parking lot at 10 PM. The rangers said that the usual conditions at that time of the year are about 12-15 degrees lower.

If you go, be prepared to follow the rules about water very closely. Have a lot with you and keep drinking regularly. You need to drink a gallon a day under those conditions. With the extremely low humidity you don't sweat -- the moisture leaves your body as a gas so it's easy to not notice how much moisture you are losing. Also, wear light-weight clothes that the air can pass through easily and have a good hat.

5. Nephidoc

Nephidoc New Member

Ok... not as well known but IMHO more fun would be to just alter the plan a bit and hit Green River.
    At that time of the year you can get a small canoe/raft and hit the rapids on the "Daily"
    Green river is about 50 miles from Moab.
    Check out the "Daily" section on the link.
    http://www.utah.com/raft/rivers/green.htm

Just another idea.

Stan