Mod Idea . . . Anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by mckeapc67, May 31, 2011.

1. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Has anyone ever tried to add spacers between the PUP walls and roof to add more room when closed? I'm talking about maybe 2x6 or so sitting between the walls and roof (sealed of course) such that when the PUP is closed there is a little more room above the bunks. This would allow for thicker matresses, bedding, pillows, cushions, etc..

I was thinking that either using painted wood or some aluminum stock. Then add some additional lock downs like are currently used to lock down the roof to hold them in place and to lock the roof down to them. These could/would be in alignment with the existing lock-downs so the spacers could be "optional". Obviously, weather stripping would be inserted both on top and on bottom to seal the gaps.

I haven't seen a post where anyone has done this, but was wondering.

2. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Intersting Idea. First thought is how you would make them stable and tie them together. The other would trying to keep them square/aligned with the roof/box. Would they be permanent or removable? You seem to be thinking removable with the double lock down method you describe but it might be easier to do something permanent.

If the thicker cushions you mention is the main or only reason your looking that this, you might consider memory foam toppers that will add a couple of inches of cushion yet squeeze down or can be rolled and stored in the camper on the floor without any modifications. I Bought a small red devil vaccum with a hose attachment and a variety pack of space bags and it gave me all the cushion, bedding, pillow capacity I needed. Thinking seriously about getting a memory foam topper and throwing it in a XL Space bag cube. Currently I have 3 thick comforters, 3 King Pillows, 2 fitted and flat sheets and a few smaller throw pillows in a folding storage cabinet I previously could only get 2 pillows and 2 comforters in. Basically decreased the needed space to store these items by 50%-60% (so we added more ;-).

3. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

This is just an idea I'm kicking around. First thing I'm going to do is get some memory foam toppers and see if it'll close with them in place.

If it'll not close with them, then I'm going to explore the other options.

The main reason I was thinking about this is that my PUP has very little "free" space when the top's down. My dinette cushions take up the space below the dinette table and between the slide-in and cabinets. That leaves only a relatively small "L" shaped area inside the door.

4. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

How about an air mattress to either replace, or go under/over the existing mattress? They could be deflated and stored in place.

5. ColoDisco

ColoDisco Member

I love this idea. You could build 2 C shaped expansions with a latch system to connect them together. The only quandry I would have is latching down the roof mechanism. You could either make long extensions for locking down the roof or build a second set of roof latches on the expansion itself. Might be more secure to have them on the expansion and on the box.

6. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

The extensions will interfere with the bed slides unless you make them removable

7. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I like the idea. I have to roll up a 4" mattress topper to completely lower the roof. However, anything temporary may take as much time to install as stowing the topper. Perhaps something held with Velcro to permit removal, if necessary.

8. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

I was thinking about this a bit more too. One thought that I had was to make the "extension" out of aluminum "C" channel and connecting it to the roof section. That way it would rise with the roof and be out of the way of everything. Would have to check out if it would be OK with the tending though. Some thin walled aluminum shouldn't add very much weight to the roof.

Another option that I thought of would be to fasten the pieces to the bunk end so that it would slide out with the bunk.

9. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

I like the idea of the extensions fastened to the bunk end. I think having it connected to the roof at the bunk ends would interfere with the tenting. Think about the door area and how that might work, this might have to be a removable section. The sides could be permanently attached to the top of the walls without issues.

I am assuming you do not have a slide out dinette.

10. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

you might find it easier to build and work with if you extend the top down instead. move the canvas tracks and door mounts lower to accomodate. get more head room, and more storage room when closed.

i like the idea! keep it goin!

11. dman2

dman2 Enjoy life!!!!!!!!!!

If you were to raise the roof would you not need longer cables also.

12. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

you could put mounts for roof/poles on the new "extension" and really not need to adjust anything.

depending on type of awning that you have you may have to move the side arm mounts on the pup box. (My a&e catalina awning mounts to box when open and not the ground). arms may be long enough too though!?

13. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

What an interesting concept. Certainly gives one something to day-dream about. I'd love to see pictures if anyone actually does a trial run at this.

14. jeffanddeb

jeffanddeb New Member

We have a 2" memory foam topper that is really comfortable. If we pull the topper forward about 3 ft. Everything closes great. We bought our topper on overstock.com for 100 bucks. One of our best pup investments. [;)]

15. Rick Y

Rick Y New Member

So, has anything been done with this idea? Most intriguing. Of course, if you raise the roof too much you might as well just buy a conventional TT.

16. 64osby

64osby Member

Height of the upper mount panel would be limited to the top of door to the lower edge of the top, maybe minus an inch.

It would be interesting to see it done. There would have to be a drip edge like the top has already, at least on mine.

17. dksimon

dksimon UNITED WE STAND

After rebuilding my roof for my 1002 Dutchmen I figured out a way to making the higher, if I have a next time to do it again I will build it taller all the way around. Since it is a Goeshon lift system length of cable will stay the same and mountings will stay the same. Can't expand to high but 6-10 inches should be okay. No second floors! Lol

18. 64osby

64osby Member

^^^ Mods to the canvas required for raising the walls?

19. Novarich

Novarich Active Member Gold Supporting Member

If I understand your idea there isn't any other mods needed other than to find a way to fasten the roof down. Sounds doable

20. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

There is actually some old popup sitting up the road from my home, that looks like someone did this. The roof is not down as far as it 'used to' be, or 'should be', and there is what appears to be a 2X wood frame sitting along the top rail of the camper "box" that the roof has rested upon. If I can remember, I will pull into the lot where it's stored and take a closer look, I've always sort of passed it and never gave it much thought, guessing that there was something wrong with the lift mechanism or something.