Mod Idea . . . Anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by mckeapc67, May 31, 2011.

1. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Just take a 1*6 and make a frame that the roof can sit on. Reinforce the corners and make it 2 pieces. Add a buckle to put the 2 pieces together and add roof latches to match the factory latches.

All your wanting to do is make the "closed" space a little higher. Take it out when you open it.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

2. edh

edh Active Member

The other trick will be to engineer it so water can't get past it; finding a flood come spring will ruin your day. :)

I am rebuilding my roof and made the sides three inches taller. When your roof is higher you can't see over the camper as well, but three inches didn't matter much and it gives much more flexibility inside--slight higher cabinets/benches, thicker mattresses, etc.

3. 2002sheds

2002sheds Member

What a cool idea! I like the comment two posts up about making it out of two pieces to facilitate its removal. I would take it one step further... What could those prices be repurposed into? A table? Bench? There's got to be some way to get double duty out of those..

And, as many have said, the other trick is to make the mod weatherproof, so storage is not worrisome...

4. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Maybe hinge the extensions so they flop out of the way while raising the roof. I'm thinking about the bunk ends, that way they would be out of the way. Might be unsightly on the front side unless you could double purpose them some how. Maybe add a rail to attach shelves or a table? Just thinking out loud.

5. Bpozzy10

Bpozzy10 Go Badgers

I myself believes this idea is great for xtra storage. And you have my noggin really thinking now!!! But what I think I'm going to do since I have it laying around my garage. Still using the 2x6 idea (treated of course). I'm going to make 2 L shapes with metal brackets in the corners and such. Then wrap both of theses L's in a rubber that is used for flat roofs (makeshift weather strip). Now for the ends that are not together I was thinking something simple like a gate latch, so when u push them together to make the square they lock in place. For the roof latches on the side maybe like a 9" eye/hook turnbuckle and a eye bolt. If anyone has any feedback on this idea I would love to hear it. Good or bad my ears are open. Thanks

6. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

I haven't pursued the idea beyond the initial thinking. However, I think I will soon be doing a lot of repairs or a rebuild of the PUP (assuming I keep her and don't replace). If/When I do the repairs/rebuild, I'm definitely going to figure out a good way to give room for thicker mattresses, toppers, and/or other bedding.

Here's what I'm presently thinking about the idea as far as options:

[list type=decimal]
    [*]If I do a rebuild including the edges of the roof where I have some soft wood presently, I will probably just make the sides and ends of the roof a bit taller. With this option, though, I will have to do some mods to the siding and/or roof to get the extra height. I'm thinking vinyl coated aluminum like is used to make fascia.
    [*]If I don't have to do a rebuild of the roof or choose not to do the above, then I'm thinking that I could stick with the original idea and figure out the best way to make it work.
    [/list]

I'm not really concerned with adding additional height to the PUP when closed. My PUP is already pretty tall (offroad version) and adding a few inches more won't affect anything. Even towing with a full sized truck or SUV, you can't really see over it anyway.

Whichever way I choose to accomplish this, my intent is not to change the spacing between the top of the walls and bottom of the roof. This will mean no effect on the tenting or lift mechanisms.

The real challenge with a design for my PUP is that it does have a slide-out. Because of this, I'm thinking that the best route for the added space means either making it removable during opening or attached to / a part of the roof.