Mod to help stabilizing your higher off road Pup

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Wayne In Florida, May 8, 2015.

1. Wayne In Florida

Wayne In Florida Member

I have the 2012 Flagstaff BR28TSC Off-road and I have found with the extended length and frame clearance to the ground I had trouble getting my pup sturdy enough so that when someone rolled over in the night you would not feel it. I started by using Bal x chocks between the tandem axles and this helped a bunch but needed more. Figuring the less I lower the stabilizes would help so tested this theory with a bunch of blocks and all was good.
    To resolve this without hauling a bunch of blocks I made a set of four, 2"x 12"x 18" stabilizer extensions.
    (How I made them) I picked up a 2"x 12"x 12' Pressure treated board, cut it into 18" pieces, giving you 8 equal blocks. Then each board will need an equal 2" slot cut into the center and this must be done very carefully so there is very little slop in the joint but still be able to pull them apart easily to store. They also must fit level top and bottom to increase stability. Once done you just slide the open joints together to form an X block giving you a 12" tall stabilizer pad. I then use one orange stackable stab block on top X pad for the stabilizer to set on. Made a 100% improvement with the stabilizers not extended to their max.

Attached Files:

2. dougfam

dougfam Member

Great idea!

3. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

I like it! I just did the SOA mod and my stabs. are maxed out.

Thanks for the idea!

4. Troutman3000

Troutman3000 New Member

edited posted in wrong area.

5. Troutman3000

Troutman3000 New Member

how do I delete my post?

6. vmswilliamson

vmswilliamson Member

What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing.

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I did an over/under axle conversion a few years ago and I was faced with the same issue...the ground was too far away for the stabilizers. 2"x12" boards seem to have been a good choice. I gained about 6" moving the axle below the springs and these give me a little over 10" of stabilizer platforms.

I took mine a step further and cut notches into them as shown in this thread but I'll show some of the pictures below.

This way, they don't turn into teeter totters if the ground is raised up anywhere near the middle of the X. It also acts to actively capture the sand pad on the top side. It works this way no matter which way you put them together.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I then stained them and added some paint-on bedliner to the "feet" tabs to keep the ground from chewing them up. Sorry I don't have a close up of them.

Then, you need some place to store the buggers so I turned the space between the rear bumper and the back wall of the PUP into the perfect place.
    I had some modular wire shelving panels that I just attached underneath to make a breathable platform as I didn't want to trap water and have rust or rot issues.

[​IMG]

Here they are, stored and held in place by bungee cords.

[​IMG]

They work surprising well. I think I will always have a set of them because you don't have to crank down as far, the stabilizers seem to do a better job when they are not at their upper limit (could be totally subjective and not true) and they work for pretty much any condition. I have been to a spot where the ground was quite soft due to recent rain. I threw something down on the ground first (sorry, don't remember what now) and they did the job as usual.

Lesson learned: don't cut the notch in the center too close to the width of the other board. They WILL swell when wet after a weekend of rain and you'll be taking them home still in X form. I've cut the notches a smidge larger now and stability has not suffered. As soon as any weight is placed on them, they lock tight together.

8. dkf1998

dkf1998 New Member

What a great mod.

9. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

What a great idea!! I just sent this to the DH to see if I can get him to make this. That will be the hard part of the project. Hmmm, may be I should just do it myself... [:!]

10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

We use plastic pyramidal bed feet from Ikea, these are sold for raising your bed of the floor. They nest when not in use.

11. Overland

Overland Active Member

12. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Overland likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member