Modified An old rack for kayaks

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by RhinoDave, Mar 13, 2010.

1. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

I just had my Coleman roof replaced and the new roof came with tracks for a Yakima rack system. I already have this system on my TV so I really didn't want to spend more money on another system (I'm cheap). I managed to find an old (antique) Yakima rack system with two sets of kayak carriers already mounted at a garage sale last Fall. This rack was designed for cars with drip rails. Basically, I cut the cross bars in half, Used aluminum tubing to increase the crossbar length, Added fabricated foot pads to match up with the track and made tie plates for the back tie down points. Total cost to me not including the straps which I already had was $5.00. This replaces the PVC bases I made last year for my old ABS roof.
    The rack in it's orginal condition and the aluminum poles for lengthening the cross bars.
    [​IMG]
    Bases with the old pads removed and new plates installed.
    [​IMG]
    Rack mounted after cross bars cut and extended.
    [​IMG]
    With kayak mounted. Still needs straps and final adjustments on the kayak holders.
    [​IMG]
    Haven't had the chance to de-winterize the PUP yet but at least the toys are ready to go. [KK] [BY]

2. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

nice job ! looks good ! where do the straps tie or hook into?

3. BoatCamp

BoatCamp Enjoy!

Hey. that looks like a good job. I've got 2 questions though:
    1) How did you attach the center extension spans? I can't quite see that in the photos.
    2) Are you concerned about the total weight load on the roof of the camper? I see you have something else mounted on there, how much will all that weigh?
    I ask because I've got a similar situation and I've hesitated adding racks because I've got a 100# AC on the roof.

4. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

That looks a real beefy job, I guess the old coleman brochure I saw showed a small TV on the ABS roof, do they still show this?. If thats the case I am sure the kayaks will be ok

5. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Each Kayak will have four straps. One on the front that goes down to the frame. One on each crossbar that just wraps around the crossbar on the inside of the kayak with both sides of the strap wrapping over the kayak and then through a clamp that is tightened on the cross bar. The back end will be strapped down to an eyelet attached to a slide plate in the roof track. The alumimum tubes are 1" o.d. and slide inside the old crossbar pieces and hold in place with those spring pins that are used in many applications when extending poles or attaching sections of tubing together. The center tubing I used is from a roof snow rake. It already had the pins to hook the sections together and the Yakima crossbars already had holes for them to lock into. Made it almost too easy. The Coleman roofs are rated for 300 lbs closed and 150 lbs raised. The kayaks weigh 48 and 52 lbs so The ac and kayaks combined weigh a little over 200 lbs. I load my bikes on the TV so This is all I'll be putting on this roof.

Front straps will be the same as this picture but kayaks will be mounted further forward. I wanted the crossbar weight near the front edge of the camper and at the spot on the roof where the AC support is located.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the bracket on the end of the crossbar where the strap will attach in this picture.
    [​IMG]
    This is the plate and eyelet that the rear strap will hook to in the roof track.
    [​IMG]
    There are lots more pictures in my webshots album and any additional thoughts and comments are welcome.

Hearty Sarsoza likes this.
  6. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

thanks for the info ! great work

7. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

good job on the kayak racks....I am toying with fabricating one tha weight is on the tongue and bumper. Our a/c is on the drivers side and not in the middle. This would put it above the a/c and wide enough to carry 3 kayaks or 2 canoes and a kayak or several combos...only problem is it would have to come off or disconnect from the tongue and bumper befre we raised the roof....
    nice job looks good and strong....

8. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

Looks good... in my case I have an older popup and a 14ft canoe so I just haul it this way:

[​IMG]

I have the pool noodles wrapped on the edges of the canoe which makes sliding it around a bit easier and doesn't scratch the top.

*This pic was taken before I added the 4 pool noodles.

9. Hearty Sarsoza

Hearty Sarsoza Member

Hi! I know this is an old thread but i wish to learn how you modified the yakima rails. I wanted to do this to my fleetwood niagara.