Moisture in floor

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Mandy93popup, May 23, 2018.

1. Mandy93popup

Mandy93popup New Member

I just bought a crappy 92 coleman. We are painting and cleaning it up but i noticed water damage to the cabinets nearest the floor. As well as some mildew along the back inside of the floor cabinet where the floor meats the outside wall. Im assuming a new sub floor is needed. Is this a commen problem?

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Depends on how wet and how long it remained wet. I would check it out first before I just start tearing the floor apart. If wet it definitely means that there is a leak causing the damp area, this should be found and repaired first then give it a chance to dry (my opinion) or after replacing the floor will just rot all over again and you will have the same situation repeated . Good Luck and happy Camping

Orchid and terry1419 like this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

You have to determine a) where the water came from and b) make sure it's repaired. Just because it's at floor level does not mean that the leak is in the floor, or even floor/wall seam, itself. Tt may be, or it may have been from a leaking drain, roof, etc.

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

A 92 camper usually isn't worth changing the floor, unless the rest is perfect. I would stop the leak and patch the floor if possible.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree that source of moisture needs to be found and stopped. After that the spots on floor can either be repaired or patched. No need to tear out entire floor.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Here are the spots we had to fix. The first one was under a cabinet by the door that backed to the storage trunk. We had to fix the storage trunk leak and wall. The floor we let dry out completely, then cleaned out all the rotten dry wood particles from the top. Then we applied coats of wood hardener until it was solid. The last step was wood filler and sanding it level.

Removed the corner cabinet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cabinet back in place -

[​IMG]

The other spot was on the opposite side of the camper, under the dinette. We used the same process on that spot. If it's much worse, you may have to cut and replace that little spot of wood. Just depends on how much is left to work with once you get the rotten part dried and removed.

[​IMG]