Mold and Mildew Madness

sevensanders

Apr 9, 2012
oh that stinks!

I didn't have to re-waterproof the vinyl portions of our bunk ends, but I did use 2 cans of the outdoor 3M Scotchguard on the canvas window portions.

babs1999

Jun 15, 2012
Hi!! I am in Awww looking at your before and after pics! from what I can see at bass and pro shop they no longer carry lemon mold and mildew product. They only have their own brand. Please fill me in on how you cleaned this? Did you take it down, scrub it, use the garden hose to rinse? My new uesd camper is not far off from yours and i am desperately looking to clean it right. Thanks for any advice you can provide? Thank Barb

smhartman

Jul 30, 2012
Hi,

My husband and I just bought a 2004 Jayco that had mildew on the inside and out. Got it home, I panicked because the smell took over. I researched all the different solutions online, read the Jayco manual. Our decision was this, if we don't clean the mildew, we don't camp in the pop up. So, today I went to BPS and picked up BPS Mildew and Stain remover. WOW! is the only reply. It looks like brand new canvas. I haven't worked very hard and I have 1 inside section done and one outside section. It must not have much clorine in the bottle because it does not smell very strong. Tilex to me is overpowering and it is nothing like that.

We found the source of the mildew and will be addressing that issue soon. But for now, I am loving the BPS Mildew and Stain remover.

As far as waterproofing - that comes next. Suggestions???

SMH

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
Not many reviews on the Bass Pro Shops website and the few there are seem to contradict each other.

Seems the Star Brite product is highly recommended though. Glad it worked for you! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Painstakingly typed with very large fingers from my teenie, tiny iPhone.

smhartman

Jul 30, 2012
Can someone suggest a cleaning product for the sides of the bed area. It is different than the canvas. I think it's a 100% polyester. I tried the BPS solution and it worked for the most part but now I have some yellow stains that appeared. I only tried one side and would like to do a better job on the other 3. They have mildew so I have to clean it really well. Thanks for some help.

SMH

smhartman

Jul 30, 2012
Hi,

So, love/hate relationship with BPS Mildew and Stain remover. The good, removed mildew stains. The bad, removed waterproofing. Called Jayco today and Donna said to use IOSSO products. Another $50 and hopefully I can restore our new2us 2004 Jayco Eagle 12 FSO.

I don't know why I didn't call Jayco before going down this road. I did call local dealer for suggestions.

Live an Learn,

SMH

planetb

Aug 1, 2013
Sorry about the old thread bump, but this is a very useful thread and want to thank everyone for all the good info. I bought a 2009 Rockwood Premier Series 1904 last year and used it once. I took the winter cover off this spring and opened it up to check on the trailer and then closed her back up in June. I open the trailer last week and looks like I have a leak around my roof vent, still need to figure out the leak, but I had a good amount of mildew on the inside back part of the popup. Went down to BPS and bought 2 bottles and nothing else wanted to get the stains and mildew off. I have only spent about 10mins so far just sprayed down the area with the BPS mold & mildew spray. I ran in the house to get some rags and a bucket of water and when I got back inside the trailer I could not see the spots anymore! About to head back outside in a little and give it another spray down and a good wash. Then will need to figure out how to water proof it. Trying to sell the trailer as my father is too old to use it by himself and we would like to get a boat and do some fishing together. Last year he went gold panning and took the trailer with him. Wish I had more room, but cant keep a trailer and a boat in my yard/driveway

[HY]

John

wildcat

Jun 6, 2013
I have hope now! I thought mine was bad but seeing the before and after shots gives me hope than mine will clean up. I was pricing out new canvas. I've tried a few cleaners but it's just too darn hot. Come fall I'll give it a try using your method.

LynnAllen02

Super Active Member
Apr 26, 2006
Long Island, New York
Thought I would bump this thread once again!

We had torrential rains Sunday night of Labor Day weekend, and for the first time in all of these years, we had to pop down in the rain with everything wet!

And contrary to all advice I learned here, I did not pop back up when I got home in the rain. The theory was to let it rain and rain and then dry out as though I was camping! I waited to see how the trailer fared until the next weekend! Terrible idea! Although not quite Mary Doright's mildew madness, my canvas on my windows took a beating from the mildew, and even after washing, it stayed stained!

I ordered Mary's Bass Mildew Stain Remover (what it is now called) and the next weekend began to work on it...

Sprayed it on, scrubbed it off with HOT sudsy Woolite, let dry in the sun, repeat until Mildew is clear! It is hard work, needs lots of ventilation, I followed Mary's advice and used two scrub brushes: one soft and one hard.

I am happy to report I was able to waterproof the canvas this afternoon and my canvas is restored to the original look it had just before Labor Day!

I wish MaryDoright was around these parts to thank, she has profoundly affected my life! I was so upset to see all that mildew and was sure I would never get it all out!

And Man From Van's Advice on setting back up in the rain once home will be followed from now on at my house!

Lynn

skeetercampsintexas

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2012
Wylie, Texas
Looks really great guys! I am very impressed! Most of us would have turned and walked away from that nightmare! I know I sure would!!! You did a wonderful job and it looks like a brand new camper! Welcome to the world of PUPs and keep on keepin' on!

LynnAllen02

Super Active Member
Apr 26, 2006
Long Island, New York
Yes I revived it due to a little Mildew Madness of my own! All of my canvas got stained after I left my Pup down a week after my Labor Day drop in the pouring rain!

I remembered this post, found it and used her advice! I restored my canvas to normal thanks to MaryDoright!

I used Bass Mildew Stain Remover what they call the product now!

I am not so sure the product is so important as is the elbow grease, the sun, and the two scrub brushes for the elbow grease, the elbow grease, and the HOT soapy Woolite! Then REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT.

DH couldn't find one spot of mildew on my canvas!

Then I waterproofed it and my terrible saga with Mildew Madness is done and over with.

MaryDoright left a wonderful legacy here!

Lynn

jodi515

Mar 5, 2014
I know this is an old thread, but it has been very popular so I thought I'd see.

I bought this 27 year old PUP because mechanically and structurally it is sound, but the canvas is quite yucky. It had been closed up since summer of 2008.

Can anyone who has used the Bass Pro Mildew Stain Remover tell me if it will
bleach the tan colored canvas on my PUP?

I sprayed a little Mean Green Mildew Destroyer in an area of the canvas that can't be seen and it made the area lighter. It didn't bleach it all the way to white, but it definitely discolored the area.

I have tried all of the non-bleach methods and nothing has worked to removed the black mildew stains.

Thanks everyone!

LynnAllen02

Super Active Member
Apr 26, 2006
Long Island, New York
Oh but some of us are still around! [:D]

Jodi look at Mary's pix, her back bunk looks like it might be the color of your canvas you mention! She does not mention fading anywhere! I think the reason for this is that the Mildew cleaner does not stay on at all! You spray it on and immediately start scrubbing with the hot sudsy Woolite, and then you rinse with a sponge! Repeat, repeat, repeat. It took me three weekends to clean mine up and it was only closed for a week! I also think this same method could be used using any Mildew Cleaner and don't leave it on, scrub away with the Woolite! I was going to use something else because I had trouble finding what she used, in the end they had changed the name, so I used what she recommended!

Her process can be found in this thread at Reply # 28 on June 28, 2008 (28-06-2008) I thinks it is page 2 or 3 of this thread!

It did not harm my canvas at all, BUT important to re-waterproof, this destroys that in the process!

Any more questions, give a holler!

Lynn

Texas_Laws

Oct 9, 2008
Houston, Texas
I live in Southeast Texas (Clear Lake Area) and even if my popup is completely dry, when we leave it shut up, we are going to get some mildew. What do you guys use to try to prevent mildew? I dread spending the time cleaning our canvas only to open it up the next time and the mildew be back

MichelleMS

Super Active Member
Feb 17, 2012
I need to do mine too and was glad to this thread revived, I forgot about it. When you guys say "spray" it off. Are you talking about a water spray bottle or an actual hose?

Latest posts