Mom, have you seen my keys?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by fourhallatts, Aug 11, 2019.

1. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

So a week ago my youngest ds went to my in-laws camp where our pup is parked for the rest of the summer. He was taking a friend of his back to the summer camp she works at. Well he had to set up the pup (he has done it many times before so I wasn't concerned) so the girls had somewhere to sleep. When he got home he realized he didn't have his keys ( his car key is separate from all his other keys). We checked the car, his grandparents checked their camp, and when we went up this weekend we checked the pup. Well today he was walking past the pup and thought they can't be up there! So he got ladder and lo and behold there were his keys sitting on the roof of the pup. I have to admit I didn't even think to have anyone look there.

1REDBEARD, Spridle, BillyMc and 5 others like this.
  2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

My friend did that on setup of a week long camping trip. We spent a lot of free time that week searching for the keys. Found them on the last day tearing down.

3. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Been there, done that.....my keys once, my cell phone several times.....

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have done that same thing as has a lot of others. I just re-enforces the old saying of check the roof before raising, but once is enough to remember it in the future.
    I once raised mine and had yaks on top, and also no ladder I had to break down partially to get them offloaded and I have never forgotten that so lesson learned...

fourhallatts likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Between the keys and cell phone they each have taken a couple rides up on the roof. I'm very careful about it now as I try to not put anything on the roof anymore. Yeah, instead they get left somewhere else. ;)

fourhallatts and neighbormike like this.
  6. epcotisbest

epcotisbest Active Member

Drove to a campground another state away to meet up with some friends who have a large motorhome. Plenty of room for us, them and pets.
    Friend lost his keys and we spent a great deal of time looking inside and out for those keys and finally gave up after several days of off and on searching.
    On pack up day, moved the coffee maker to pack it away and there they were right there on the countertop behind the coffee maker. Apparently the keys were absentmindedly placed on the counter then shoved aside when the coffee maker was pulled out of storage.
    I just usually just keep my keys right in my pocket or in a drawer. Don't recall ever setting them on the counter.

fourhallatts likes this.
  7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

...I have a little hook that holds my keys......just inside the door....misplaced them once too often!

fourhallatts likes this.
  8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Did that once and accused the kids of moving them. I looked the fool when I remembered putting them up there after unlocking the storage compartment to get setup stuff out. Now I leave them in the lock until done.

9. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Our trip to a few weeks ago had a nice big TT pull in and start setting up. An hour later I see rickety old lock smith van roll up with a dude that clearly had just left the barbecue to answer the call. He gets out with a heavy towel, wraps it around his arm, walks up to the camper and proceeds to smash the window in the door out in one shot. Hadn't even said hello yet to the owner! Walks to the truck, hands them a bill and leaves.

HappyTraveler and fourhallatts like this.
  10. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Sounds like scene from a Cohen Bros. movie....lol

fourhallatts likes this.
  11. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Hey, It happens. Lol!

fourhallatts likes this.
  12. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

Way back when I was drinking, that's where I left my beer. My wife noticed it after the pup was all set up. Lowered the top enough for me to retrieve it.

Spridle, fourhallatts and 1REDBEARD like this.