Monarch butterflies

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by skeetercampsintexas, Oct 19, 2016.

1. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Just thought this was neat to share, as most of us are nature lovers. I was out at our property yesterday and we have a LOT of monarch butterflies this year. We typically have quite a few but I've never seen any year with quite so many. This property is in North texas, about 20 miles south of the red River border with southern oklahoma. The picture is just a small group of them, but there are literally thousands hanging out in the trees. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

2. Tracy D.

Tracy D. Member

Beautiful!

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Wonderful. That's something I'd love to see.

4. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing! I planted some milkweed in our garden, in the hopes of having monarchs come and lay eggs so that my daughter's could watch the metamorphosis process. Instead we got thousands of oleander aphids that wreaked havoc on the garden! Either way my girls loved your photo. Thanks again for sharing.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oh so that's where all my butterfly's have gone. . Two years ago I planted a small butterfly garden in my yard. Full of plants butterfly's love. First year got hummingbirds, butterfly and bees. Second year I lost a few plants and couldn't afford others, but only got one hummingbird and a whole lot of bees. I was wondering what ever happened to the butterfly's. Guess they love the TX trees better. However a city lot is not exactly ideal place for butterfly's. So perhaps it's not surprising.

6. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I have spent the past few years trying to allow the woods I hunt on our land to return naturally to a native texas prairie. So far it has been quite successful as I have lot of native wildflowers, grasses, and animals. My neighbor keeps 5 bee hives, they help me out a good bit and I help them. The native grasses have been coming back, slowly but surely, and we are getting a nice covey of quail back onto the property that I see now and again. Here is a picture of our wildflowers earlier this year, I believe this was around march/April time frame.

[​IMG]

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I don't think we're in the area that the monarchs fly through, but we do have butterflies and hummingbirds in our yard. We have spent 20+ years changing from the rock-covered-plastic yard to one with native and xeric plants. Over the last couple of years, we've had a lot of attrition, due to age, drought (even xeric plants suffer), and foot traffic when the house was re-stuccoed and re-roofed a year ago. The timing of the rain this year has resulted in the most lush gramma grass we've ever had, so we have a lot of native plant seeds, including varieties of paintbrush (it grows on/near the grass roots) to distribute this fall.

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Thats a great picture. We typically have lots of monarchs during the summer, but I hardly saw any this year. Good to see that there are a bunch down your way.

9. travisma

travisma New Member

Looking at migration maps, Texas is the main thoroughfare for the Monarchs heading to their winter home in Mexico. Most of the maps show various paths from around the country all going through mid Texas.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Amazing! I would love to see that many at once.

My parents would love this. My dad watches them closely every year and photographs as many hatching as he can. He has some impressive photos. They didn't have that many this year.

11. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Nice pic. Usually I get to see the caterpillars chowing on my fennel plants then they disappear on me! Monarchs and Swallowtails!!!

Attached Files:

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We are seeing more Butterflies than normal this year as well here in Northern Neck Virginia... The strange thing is I really didn't see any big increase in caterpillar nests in the trees. Seems like this year those little bitty ants are all over the place more than usual...

Another strange thing I keep seeing here is a small flock of geese are making flight to the north about every evening. I guess they are heading for the Potomac River just North of us area for their evening sleep. Just strange see and hearing geese flying North this time of the year haha...

I think the Weather Channel report is we are not suppose to be over active in this area for this upcoming winter season - go figure haha...

Squirrel activity is about normal this season here...

I too love to watch the nature process. We have a woods line on the back of the yard property here. I have a cut-off tree stump on a two trunk tree. Makes for a perfect seat to sit on and watch nature with my favorite coffee cup in the mornings and evenings...

Roy Ken