Moose in the U.P.

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by SongCamper, Feb 16, 2019.

1. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

We are heading back up to Michigan's Upper Peninsula this June (one of our favorite destinations) and I am really, really hoping to spot a moose. In all my time in Michigan I have yet to lay eyes on one of these giant mammals. We will be focusing more on western U.P. which is where I understand most of the moose population is concentrated.
    Does anyone have any tips, locations or coordinates that would increase my chances of snapping some pictures of one of those bad boys?

Thanks!

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

As a Michigander I've only been lucky enough to spot a moose once from the highway about a half hour south of the Mackinaw bridge... This was many years ago. I understand they can be very elusive Good luck to you!

SongCamper likes this.
  3. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

That's pretty amazing you saw one south the the bridge! I grew up spending a lot of time in East Tawas, where my grandparents lived. I love me some Michigan!

4. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I'm from the Detroit metro area. This was at least 20 years ago. I was very surprised to see it. I've seen elk, but that was my first and only moose

SongCamper likes this.
  5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Happenstance upon a moose, might be a tough one to do here. We've bumped into them twice, and we moved to the UP in 1996!! The last time we did was this fall, when we headed south to Escanaba Mi to purchased a trailer and since its a "camper" we did post about that here. Nonetheless, on the way south in October, we hit a snowstorm about 30 miles south and in the swampy country found down there, ahead of us two of those beasts ran down the road in front of us in the snow. Kind of funny to see them in the poor viability we had that day. Where we reside in Houghton, we don't have much swampy country that they like, so they don't seem to hang in our area. Eastern and southern up, had much more of that.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    SongCamper likes this.
  6. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

Great story! I'll focus on eastern and southern UP then! Thanks!

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I hope you get to see one, if so take pictures and share them. either way have a great trip. Good Luck and Keep On Camping

SongCamper likes this.
  8. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

If I’m so lucky enough to see one I’ll definitely post some pictures here! Thanks!

Dusty road likes this.
  9. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Concerning the UP moose population.

UPPER MICHIGAN (DNR) - After this winter’s moose survey, wildlife biologists said the western Upper Peninsula moose population is growing at a long-term average of about 2 percent each year, with an estimated 509 animals living in that part of the state.

Michigan Natural Resources Wildlife Division Chief Russ Mason reported the survey results Thursday to the Michigan Natural Resources Commission at a regular NRC meeting at the Shanty Creek Resort in Bellaire.

“The growth rate for this moose population is low, but remains positive,” Mason said. “Moose are continuing to maintain a foothold in the western Upper Peninsula, continuing to further extend the lineage of a population airlifted to the area from Canada in the mid-1980s.”

The western U.P. moose range covers about 1,400 square miles in parts of Marquette, Baraga, and Iron counties. The eastern U.P. population of moose is not surveyed but is estimated to be fewer than 100 moose. This population includes animals living within the Seney National Wildlife Refuge and Tahquamenon Falls State Park.

The aerial survey was completed in early February. Moose surveys are conducted every other winter by the DNR, with gray wolf surveys taking place during the interim winters.

“Overall, flying conditions were difficult, with flights cancelled on 23 days, primarily because of snow and high winds,” said Brad Johnson, a DNR wildlife technician who coordinates the survey. “On the days we could fly, conditions were good; snow covered most of the stumps and down logs and we had some snow on the conifers for most of the survey, all of which aided our efforts.”

Winter weather conditions preventing some survey flights did not allow wildlife staffers to complete the winter 2017 moose survey. This precluded the DNR from estimating moose abundance throughout the entirety of the western U.P. moose range.

However, an estimate was calculated for the core range, which in the past has supported 80-90 percent of the population. The moose estimate was 378 animals in that western U.P. core area.

Researchers think that if the survey had been completed, it would have yielded a total western U.P. moose population estimate of between 420 and 470 animals.

With the Moose Hunting Advisory Council’s recommendation to only allow hunting if a growth rate of greater 3 percent is maintained, the DNR is not recommending implementing a harvest at this time.
    The same was true over the past several years.

For more information from the DNR about the moose population, click here.

Get the latest updates from uppermichiganssource.com delivered to your browser

Was found here https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/news/UP-moose-population-released-507196331.html

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Interesting read, sounds like the Moose Population is slowly starting to come back, hopefully they will rebound soon. thanks for sharing the info Good Luck and Happy camping

SongCamper likes this.