More cast iron

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by jmkay1, Dec 27, 2016.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My cast iron has increased by two this Christmas. In addition to my 10" skillet and 10" dutch oven, I now have an 8" skillet and a cast iron griddle. So much for keeping to just the dutch oven. I guess everyone was right, you can never have too much cast iron. [;)] I see some seasoning in my near future and now need to come up with some new storage options. Starting to dream up of some recipes to try as well. [:)O]

2. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I keep saying I'm done buying cast iron,but it just keeps following me home. In the last 2 weeks,I've picked up a 10" scotch bowl with a gate mark, and a Wagner Ware 10" chicken fryer. I'll be cleaning them up after work,and seasoning over the weekend. The scotch bowl is probably about 125 years old, as they started adding logo's to cast iron cookware about 1890. It'll get put to good use.

3. AtlDave

AtlDave New Member

My DW gifted me with a 10 inch 5 quart Lodge Dutch Oven for Christmas. It's now seasoned and ready to go!!

[PU] [PUT]

4. cham5

cham5 Member

I got a Lodge Sportmans grill. Been wanting one for a good while to add to my camping iron.

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

bring your iron , and join us for the East Coast DOG in Hanover PA in the fall. probally not too far a road trip for you !

6. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Castironitis is a non curable disease. Once you have it, there is no turning back. [LOL]

7. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Going to look at a spider skillet with cover after work. Hoping to use it camping this summer. When do you have enough cast iron? Lol!

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

When your TV could not pull your popup... that's when you stop buying CI.

9. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Good thing I don't bring everything! Only a couple skillets,and possibly a dutch oven go with. The camper is only so big!

10. Halford

Bring nothing but whole CI works, might work. [:D] huff puff

11. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

I always wanted to try cooking with a dutch oven, and finally got my first one this winter (10 in 4 qt). Used it a few times at home on the back patio to get the hang of it, and ready to take it with camping. The backyard cooking was with charcoal, but I bought a tripod to use camping and cook over the fire. I also found a 8 in 2 qt one on eBay I bought (needed cleaning and seasoning), and plan to bring both camping. It'll just be mostly me and my son, so these should be fine. I also bought a 12 in 8 qt to bring when it will be more than just us two.

To add to the collection, I got a 12 in cast iron frying pan and a griddle/grill. So I can use those over the fire, I also got a campfire grill that sits on legs over the fire. Plus, I found a cast iron waffle maker on Amazon that I had to have. So I can now make waffles and bacon for breakfast over the fire while camping, or eggs and sausage, or whatever else I feel like cooking!

Now I just have to find the time to head out and use it at the campsite.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Ohh that sounds like a great breakfast to make. I wonder how easy it is to season that CI waffle pan.

Halford likes this.
  13. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

It wasn't that bad. it's not pre-seasoned, so you do have to season it first. Little harder to get in between all the waffling (? - don't know what to call it), but with patience, you can get it coated good in a thin layer of oil for seasoning.

This is the one I got - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BWCTL0. There are others, but this one has the most and best reviews.

14. Halford

BUTTERY seasoning!

15. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.