More than 1 dog

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by firepit, Feb 9, 2021.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

For those of you who camp with more than one dog.
    Do they camp the same way?
    Does one stay alert and stay up with you all day and night
    till you go to bed while the other likes naps and will stand in front of the camper
    door when they are ready for a nap or bed rather you are not.
    I have one dog who is 14 and one is 7.
    Had them both from 8 weeks of age.
    Can you guess who's 14 and who's 7 ???...LOL.
    This is more of a open thread for any dog sharing pics and stories.

Attached Files:

2. Annunzi

Annunzi Member Gold Supporting Member

Gorgeous pups! Ours are both 6 (brother and sister) and I hope to god we have them both at 14, can you tell who is who? One just had to have their tummy shaved for an ultrasound.

upload_2021-2-9_14-44-37.png

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Both doggos are pretty good girls and will chill. the larger lab, however, sometimes insists a ball be thrown for her amusement.

20200817_135913(1).jpg

4. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

5. firepit

Dogs are the best...i have my last two on each arm.
    One of the great things we accomplished

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I’ve had two camping dogs for 16 years started tent camping and worked up to the popup. Sadie a border collie was my protector. She would let me know if anyone/thing went past the boundary. She was very careful about keeping an eye/ear out on our hikes and to make sure everyone is following behind. Dusty a Pomeranian mix was adopted at 14 weeks old when Sadie was a year old and she took him under her wing and often acted like she was his mother. He loved prancing around the campground. He enjoyed going on hikes and playing in rivers we passed on walks. He however always had a mischief side to him so had to be put in a crate at night. When they passed away I adopted my foster dog Coco a shepherd/cur mix who ended up taking to camping like she was born for it. She loves going on hikes or just chilling at camp she can sit for hours watching squirrels run around the trees. She does feel the cold more so a heater is a requirement. I just adopted another dog a beagle mix back in Late Oct. SHe has only been on a one day camping trip when I had to winterize the camper and did great just watching the activity around her. She spooks easily though so may have to keep to quieter sites. I have two dog crates in the camper as it gives them a “safe” zone and a place to decompress when they need. Often when it gets late Coco puts herself to bed. Kind of funny how we can be sitting by the campfire and she will walk to the camper door and stare at it until I let her in and will go straight to her crate. She has a kiddie sleeping bag to help keep her warm in there.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

8. Sjm9911

Dogs 14 , you 7 . [A] how did i do?

9. Eric Webber

Yup. A 20X40 backyard rink. All the arenas are closed, so that's where we get our hockey in.

The dog likes playing "monkey in the middle" as we pass the puck

firepit and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Nice, i almost made one but the freezing facter here in nj hasn't been as food as when i was a kid. This year would have been a good one though.

11. firepit

I wish...i wouldnt be so old with a ton of miles on me

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Eric Webber

C0BB6A21-9109-4189-975F-D3B51F8DCE9E.jpeg 35D4FC7A-5762-4A0A-87E8-B8C4145F6FDD.jpeg
    Kind of the same here, but I figured I have more time to maintain the surface while working from home, which helps when there are a bunch of thaws.
    Worth it this year with everything else closed

13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I would have 10 dogs if I could! Here is one or a few of Lexie:
    3D07A400-FC9E-426D-AE2D-48F84E2485A5.png F6174569-E17B-4A0B-A034-921C50F1FA17.jpeg 176C0FFD-D488-46E2-A37D-E367D86D538B.jpeg 05E8CA54-AD9F-4EF6-827F-E25A931E66B8.jpeg 75D84CDD-25DF-46EE-8BDF-1DF59F877C79.jpeg 1E9FDD10-4DF6-4ADF-9BC2-5503B4FFA925.jpeg We’ve both aged a bit....

14. Eric Webber

15. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We’re both pretty much special needs... I guess it just works [:)C]

16. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It's been a little over a year since we lost Ol' Roscoe. I think he loved to go camping as much for more than DW and me. He once sat in the car for more than hour in July heat just to be sure he didn't get left behind.

20180810_164911.jpg

DW and I have started talking about getting another dog...maybe this summer.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I had Moose-dog and Bat-dog for years. Both preferred to go inside on the cushioned bed/couch as it got dark. Bat-dog would go so far as to sit at the door to the camper and glare at my companion while we sat out by acampfire - Bat-dog knew it was the companion keeping me out in the cold and was not happy about it.

Moose-dog took protecting our friends very seriously. When out for walks, if someone passed us, he stopped in front of the friend and watched them until they were out of sight. However, he NEVER did that if it was just me walking them.

They absolutely loved to sit on the seats in the cab of the clipper and watch everything going on at the campground. In the FnR, they would lay on their lower bunk bed and look out their windows, switching every so often. The windows are on either side.

During the day, they were happy to hang out exploring the campsite, taking hikes, etc.

At night, they climbed a dog step to the cabover bed and slept with me in the clipper. In the FnR, they slept in the lower bunk and the cats and I slept in the upper bunk.

Cat-dog is really an unknown at this point. She still gets nervous outside (was attacked by a dog before the ound picked her up). She does love car rides. At night, she sleeps under my bed (her choice), so I suspect she'll be happy on the lower bunk in the FnR. I'm not sure where she'll sleep in the clipper.

The new puppy sleeps on a blanket on the floor by the bed or under the bed with his sister. So I hope he will continue that in the clipper and sleep on the lower bunk in the FnR.

One thing I do is use a double leash when on my own. It is so much easier to control the dogs with one leash. And the better behaved dog helps keep the other dog in control.

18. firepit

The sure know when your getting ready to go camping as well.
    Anything connected to camping that they see you getting ready
    will send them into a frenzy.
    I don't dare touch anything or get a jump on getting anything ready prior to the day we leave.
    I went a day early one time and the wife was gonna meet me there the next day so she could run errands.
    She left to run errands the next day and got home to find our pillows on the bed shredded and feathers everywhere.
    Point taken pups!!...It wont happen again...LOL[:D]

19. firepit

20. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

If our dog gets out while we are packing she jumps in the truck and if we are not leaving soon or the next day we have to drag her out of the truck I mean use heavy force. I have pulled her collar off trying to get her out.

Susan Premo, firepit and neighbormike like this.