More than beef, chicken, pork and hotdogs

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Steve A, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

While they all have a place in camping and on my plate, there's certainly more out there. After answering food questions, I've noticed very little adventure in eating. What's up with that? Is campfire cuisine for the basics in your diet?

How 'bout grilling duck breasts, bison burgers or ostrich/emu fillets? Do you ever go wild? And sure, I'd love to hear your fish, venison and game bird stories and recipes.

Bon appetit!

2. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I have to admit that we don't get very adventurous food wise when we're camping. We find that the fewer ingredients we have to take along (especially perishable ingredients) the better. At home is a different story. Being military, much like yourself, we traveled all over the place and have tried all kinds of foods - I think the most obscure thing I've tried was smoked Tako (octopus) with rice and kim-chee while we were in Hawaii. It was pretty good, but it's kind of hard to find octopus here in the desert. [:D]

3. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Honestly Steve , I count myself as an adventurous eater and do enjoy experimenting and cooking at home . When we're camping though we like to keep meals quick with minimum mess . We still try to eat somewhat healthy but another reason for easy meals is the weather. If its 90 deg. out i dont feel like hangin over a bbq or stove or even eating hot food . Bring on the salads :)

4. Steve A

Dusty,

If you've got a Spanish population nearby, go to a local tienda or mercado and ask for "pulpo." When I worked in the Athens Greece area, grilled octopus was a great street food treat along the beaches of the Aegean.

Ciao,

5. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I cook more complex meals in advance and freeze them. Some meals come to mind: brazilian black bean soup, chili, chicken lo mein, and chicken mole.

6. Steve A

You take those camping, NJ?? Remind me to set up next to you!

Ciao,

7. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Steve,
    I just noticed that you were career Navy. I only made it 4 active and 2 reserve. Nine months at sea a year away from family was too much for me.

8. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

I also like to prepare as much as possible ahead of time. It saves a lot of time and mess at the campsite.

Spaghetti sauce, chili, Morrocan chicken, Italian sausage and taco meat were some of the things we cooked and froze before our long trip. I precook bacon so that it is about 80% done. I make my pancakes from scratch, but I mix all the dry ingredients before we leave, and put them in a baggie.

9. CHart6283

CHart6283 New Member

Unfortunately, growing up we had all kinds of game. Ewwww!!! My dad was always hunting and fishing. As I got older and could prepare a sandwich for myself, that is what I had. So that would probably also explain why I was thin. Now that I know what real food is.... not so thin any longer. [LOL] [LOL] I do, however, take my crockpot with me. I love cooking things in there. Italian Beef is probably my favorite, and sometimes I'll even make a chocolate pudding cake. Yummmm!!!

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I've eaten and enjoyed some exotic foods all over the world and I like to cook at home, but when it comes to camping I keep it ultra simple. I am not interested in hauling a lot of cooking equipment and ingredients or in spending the time required to cook and clean. Lunch is a usually a sandwich on the go and dinner is canned stew, chili or soup heated in a saucepan. I can cook, eat and clean in 15 minutes and then get on with what I am out there to do.

11. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

...and then the kids became the excuse

I've had shark, octopus, bison, venison, moose, eel, to name a few. I've even had chickens feet and tripe at a dim sum place. I'll try pretty much anything but when it comes to camping i'm similar to a lot of the people above. Fairly quick and fairly easy and of course...something the kids (and DW) will eat.

SteveA, I think every rally needs a personal chef to broaden our horizons, what do you say? [;)]

12. dmaerz

dmaerz New Member

We were looking for a change in fire cooked snacks. We got a little tired of smores/marshmallows. We cook peperoni on sticks all the time. So we followed a suggestion and put shrimp an a freezer bag with old bay. Shook it up and put the shrimp on our roasting forks. a few minutes over the fire and we had awesome grilled shrimp! [:)O] Shrimp is now a regular part of our camping cuisine.

13. Steve A

Adam, you'd be a most welcome guest at my table.

I'll be at the NC rally this Oct. We'll see how others go. HOPEFULLY, I might even be in a PUP. We've always been tent campers.

There was a little, well, NOT so little, Vietnamese restaurant near the corner of Dundas and Spadina I'd go to everytime I was in Toronto. I love phô and would get the tripe and tendon phô everytime I was there. Oddly, my friend would not try it.

Ciao,

14. FSHNFOOL76

FSHNFOOL76 New Member

Our big adventure the last time we went camping was pizzas made right on the grates of our Weber Q. They came out great! You can put anything on them while there cooking. There's a topic about them on the forum.

15. Grizzlytaco

Grizzlytaco New Member

I've been a Chef for 30 years and I can do alot of other types of cooking, but when we go camping i dont want to work hard cooking. Burgers, dogs, Chicken and fish are quick and easy, and if you season and cook them right they are very tasty.... [:D]

16. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

It is not that I wouldn't try those food but, I wouldn't even know where to buy such foods as bison, ostrich or emu. I am also equally sure that I could not afford to buy the meats, even if I did found some of it available.

17. Steve A

Yooper - items such as those are often available at "upscale" grocery stores: Harris-Teeter, Hannifords, and often, depending on your location, more mainstream places such as Safeway and occasionally, Food Lion.

Ciao,

18. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

I like simple but tasty, and I have kids who eat lots of non-typical "kid" food (but yet I have children who don't like pasta - go figure). I made butter chicken while camping, and that's a fave meal here. I like making things that are simple to prepare, but I like to make it fresh. One night, we did steaks, boiled new potatoes and sliced veggies (the way my kids eat veggies best). Next morning, I took the leftover steak and potatoes and added them to frozen hash browns and eggs and made a fantastic hash. [:)O]

Just like at home, I work meals around what I'll have leftover.

Basic sandwiches are great too. Although, if you are looking for something away from the norm smore-wise, may I suggest Nutella or peanut butter cups. Yum

19. Steve A

What's that?

20. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I think probably the most exotic thing we've made while camping is a Low Country Boil.

For those that don't know, you get a big fish cooker with pot and strainer/liner, fill it about half way with water (about 2 gallons,) toss in an Old Bay Seasoning bag, then add potatoes (we like whole red potatoes.) Boil them until they're about 10 minutes from being done, then toss in halved onions, corn on the cob, and chunks of smoked sausage (Johnsonville is our favorite, but Hormel will do.) When it's about 2-3 minutes from being done, add shrimp and crab legs. Boil it until the shrimp and crab are done, then pull the whole liner/strainer out of the pot. We just dump the whole thing onto clean tea towel and take what we want from the pile, but we've seen others use everything from newspaper to separate bowls for each ingredient.

It's easy to make, easy to clean up after, and it's Good stuff Maynard!