More than beef, chicken, pork and hotdogs

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Steve A, Aug 5, 2010.

1. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

[LOL]

I was surprised we had some too, but there it was!

2. sg1215

sg1215 my God, my Country, my Family, my Friends, myself

I have seen that a change in menu or eating rich food can give some people the "Hershey Squirts". Present company included.
    I take and eat what I eat at home, meat and potatoes.

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

At the rally I made a pot of my curry rice and everyone liked it [:D]
    I love to cook and bake at home.
    I hate doing the dishes and cleanup.
    When camping, it is only about "putting something in the hole" as I refer to it. I get hungry and I need to eat. If someone makes something for me it is a real treat.
    I can roast a couple hot dogs, put 'em on buns w/mustard, grab some chips, a pickle, a soda and I am happy. I can do that for several days. Yes, in a row.
    Some hot beans or chili... we're talking gourmet then! [LOL]

4. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Ok, I can't be the only one who fishes while he camps - got any good recipes for trout, bass, crappie, catfish, or whatever it is you just caught...?

5. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

SG - you can blame that on fats and oils.
    Twisty - as I said, hotdogs do have a place on my plate. However, after too many refer to SG's plight.
    Dusty - I don't fish. The fish I do like tends to be very firm saltwater fish: swordfish, shark, tuna, halibut, grouper. For the fish you refer to, the good ole cornmeal and/or crushed saltine breading is perfect.

6. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I know of a place in Savannah GA that'll knock that attitude right out of you, Steve - if it's still in business, that is... The place is (was) called Mammy's Kitchen, and it's on Ogeechee Road. They make catfish that'll make you swear off sea bass forever. I haven't been there since about 1993, but they made the best food for miles around.

The owners (Mammy and Pappy) made everything right there from scratch. About 3am Pappy would light the fire in the smoke house and start cooking the meat for the restaurant. At about 7am he'd start drinking whiskey. By noon, the meat was done - and so was Pappy. The meat got carried into the restaurant and Pappy got carried into the house.

They make catfish, Brunswick Stew, BBQ Beans, and BBQ pork that'll make you swear off beef forever. Like Jerry Clower used to say, "Good enough to make a puppy pull a freight train..." [:D]

7. sg1215

sg1215 my God, my Country, my Family, my Friends, myself

Dusty:
    My favorite for trout when camping is soaking said fish in beer.
    Then cover in corn meal and fry. Add fried potatoes and beans,
    man you are in "hog heaven"

skip

8. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I'm with ya, Skip - that's what we do with trout. I was taught that when frying something you need a "drench" and a "dredge." That's something wet to get some moisture on the meat, then a dry ingredient to "crispy up" when you fry it. I'm just looking for some new suggestions.

As far as beans are concerned, I'm 49 years old and have always loved grandma's green beans. This year I discovered grandma's secret. I always knew that her beans were homegrown, and that she canned them in a beef stock, but just this year I found out that they never planted green beans - they planted pinto beans and picked them while they were young, then canned them just like green beans. It makes all the difference in the world.

9. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Why can't you go fancy with Beef, Chicken, Pork, and Hotdogs? I don't want Rabbit Sausage or bison burgers while camping unless that is what I normally eat. If it doesn't taste good or it isn't cooked right, then I go hungry. If I do that at home, then I can always order a pizza or cook something else.

I think there is a time and a place to go fancy. Usually it is at home where most people have a better kitchen -vs- when they are camping. Sometimes, going fancy needs to be done outdoors (which can also be simulated at home). The last trip out I had some filet mignons cooked over charcoal with some hickory chips. They were AWESOME [CK] My bro brought his smoker and smoked a pork tenderloin while camping and I believe there are a few deep fried Turkeys at the Thanksgiving rally. To me that is fancy. Oh, and then there is Dutch Oven cooking.

10. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Matt - you certainly CAN go fancy with those items. My question was more in curiosity in what others eat besides "the staples."

Ciao,

11. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

About as fancy as i get while camping is ground turkey burgers on the grill! i do cook a lot of steak while camping as i almost never eat it that much when home. I too am trying to get into dutch oven cooking, and when i do that i always like comfort food. Like most people, my tastes are seasonal, when cold outside, i like homade soups, meatloaf, pot roasts. when it blazing hot outside i prefere steaks, chicken, hotdogs, salads, and hamburgers with lots of tomatoes on them!!!! I love fish but i don't eat enough of it at home as I usualy bake it or fry the whole pound and end up with too much for just me. I have grilled salmon steaks while camping but I usualy go home to NY to visit relatives and go to a beer batter fishfry which is usualy cod, and it is to die for!!!!.
    PATMD

12. electronflux

electronflux Member

Fishing is one of my main activities and determining factor for campground selection. The food I bring for dinner is only as backup if I don't catch anything. Up here in MT the main game fish caught are Trout and Walleye.

My recipes for them are pretty simple. I have some of the McCormick spice blends, but use one of my own in a shaker: granulated garlic, lemon pepper, minced onion and a bit of coarse grind sea salt. I'll coat the fillet then put it on the CI skillet until done. Sides are tinfoil on the coals baked potatoes, canned baked beans or on the coals in tinfoil sliced new potatoes, diced onion and butter.

13. mgwerks

mgwerks New Member

I cook the same at home or camping - I enjoy it too much to scale down. We do eat steaks and the like, but have also made a nice beef rouladen, a lamb curry, and of course smoked brisket, pork butt and ribs. A lot of our meals are Mexican or Tex-Mex dishes, including barbacoa, carnes guisada and asada, fajitas and even gorditas. Always served with fresh pico de gallo and cilantro. Some pre-prep and a little planning can bring many meals to your camping table aside from hot dogs, steaks and chicken.