Morrow Mountain State Park (NC)

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by MOSCDENC, Oct 7, 2019.

1. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC New Member

This past weekend was our third trip out in the pop up total and all in the past year. Think are getting more routine, but still trying to smooth things out. We live near the coast so we headed inland as far as we could get reservations two weeks ahead of time.

The good: The park itself is nice. Arrived Saturday afternoon. Got setup, walked to the park museum and relaxed. Did some hiking out to the lake/river first thing Saturday morning with the kids while it was cool. Came back got, the Missis, and the drove to waterfront and went fishing from the bank. Caught fish, threw them back and had a decent time doing it. You couldn't have asked for better weather.

The bad: The reservation map is deceiving in terms of house close the site are to each other. Normally I use Google maps to get an idea, but too many trees to get a clear view. The other state parks we've been to: Lums SP (DE), Waccamaw SP (NC), Falls River SP (NC) and Medoc Mountain SP (NC) were not nearly this close together. It was nice having actual shower stalls with doors and hooks to hang your stuff on, but the facilities could use some updating/painting. Water & soap but no way of drying you hands other than your pants.

The irritating: We were on the inside of the loop sort of close to the facilities. There was a few teenage boys that had no issue cutting through our site to go there. Had the site been big probably not an issue, but the were literally walking right past the picnic table. Do you say something to them? There was a path between our lot and the next one over, but that 20 ft was too much to ask apparently. Neighbors across the road were LOUD and using language not appropriate for a family facility. They reminded me of Marge's sisters from the Simpsons, right down to the laugh. The camp host was one lot over from us and apparently they didn't have a issue with it so maybe I'm just being uptight.

We all enjoyed ourselves and would do it again, but a little more peace and quite would have made it excellent. Next trip is back to Falls River over the Veterans Day weekend. Hoping it will be less crowded/quieter.

Edit: Wanted to add there were 4 other popups there in our loop. Plus one A frame if those count

2. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Active Member

I grew up in Delaware and we went To Lum's Pond a lot, for picnicking and swimming. I've never camped there, though.

3. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC New Member

Campground is on the opposite side of the lake. We always tent camped there and while there aren't many trees the sites are generous. We shared a site with friends and still had plenty of room to ourselves. Only issue we had was rangers complaints about fire height. Think we had an issue on more than one occasion. We were instructed that the flamers should not reach higher than the burn ring, which meant you weren't allowed to fire higher than 6-8".

Be-Ce likes this.
  4. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Oh wow. I took Mason out with the Cub Scouts a couple Februarys back, down to Tybee Island. There was a Boy Scout troop across from us, and they started running across the road and dragging back dried palm fronds and throwing them on the fireā€¦ it was a towering inferno, 30' at least, before their Scoutmaster suddenly looked around and saw what was happening. We could feel the heat at our site!

5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I rarely camp on the inside of the loop and try to have two bath house equally spaced. Our PUP has a toilet for the late night and early morning "got to go right now" visits. This cuts down on the foot traffic passing your site and gives you a better shot at an empty site next to you. People are generally lazy and manners are something that is rarely taught. They will take the fewest steps possible to get where they want to be even rudely walking through someone's site. Camp host are volunteers that stay free of charge in exchange for limited task like cleaning and stocking. If another guest is being disruptive you can ask them to keep it down or speak to the park ranger about it. We are set up to do 3-4 night stays without hook ups and working toward being able to do a week or more. I find that when there are few or no creature comforts supplied you have fewer to no annoying neighbors. West Morris Mountain in NC is on our list and only $7 ($3.50 with senior pass) per night.