Mosquito question

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by MissyMC, May 14, 2017.

1. MissyMC

MissyMC New Member

We had our first dry run of the season with the new pop-up, just an overnight to practice hook-ups, do we have everything? how does it all work type of overnight. It was AWESOME and kudos to DH for all his preparation.
    I noticed two things that I would like guidance on. There was the novelty of having a camper and the boys were in and out, out and in, until I would have no more if it and told all children that the camper is closed and they are no longer welcome inside until bedtime. I was in for the night and I noticed a zillion baby mosquitos that I'm assuming came in with all the activity and the light attracting the mosquitos that when the door opened, they (the pesky critters) made it in, too. They were everywhere! I grabbed the duct tape and just started picking at them as you do lint with a lint brush.
    My questions;
    Do you keep your lights on in the evening? I noticed a swarm of bugs by the light at the door.
    Do you think all these mosquitos were inside from just that night? I can't imagine that they were inside the camper prior to our first use because I never noticed them before nightfall.
    I don't like mosquitos or flies but they come with the territory but if these were adult mosquitos, we'd have been done for. It was that bad...

Thoughts?
    and thank you in advance!

2. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

Hope you had fun in spite of the mosquitoes!
    First, the lights at night definitely attract. We had lights out inside the camper after dark as much as possible. We also started to survey the places where the tenting attached to the camper. lots of gaps can be found there, especially if you have a slide out. In fact, my old popup had gaps where the tenting attached to the roof too.
    Kids in and out don't help.
    Finally, each campground is different. If you are in a mosquitos hatchery like I am in Michigan, they tend to be plentiful. The more shade and shrubbery or high grass around you, the more mosquitoes there are. Or if you are next to a swampy area. usually early or late season limits mosquitoe activity here, but that might not be the case where you are.
    For some reason, our old camper seemed to let everything in, the new one doesn't. We even brought a little dust buster vacuum for the floors and ended up using it to suck up all the stuff flying around the ceilings.

3. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Active Member

I don't know if it's the lights as much as it is us. What I recall is they are attracted to the carbon monoxide we exhale. And my experience (in Oregon) is that their activity slows as the evening progresses.

My horror story is from a cross country trip we did years ago, in a slightly modified passenger van. We had fabricated mosquito netting screens for the windows,which worked fine until we got to Missouri. We set up for the evening and the mosquitoes wouldn't let up. Lights out was usually when the sun went down. Being buzzed and bitten, we would turn on flashlights and swat everything we could see. Small respite and it would start all over, and over, and over again. Took down the netting and closed all the windows and they were still getting in. We finally surrendered around midnight, drove to a motel and got a room.

I'll echo what michigan_camper said: a lot of it depends on where you are and when you are there. What state are you in?

4. karley020

karley020 Member

We were in a cabin that had a light on right outside the door. Around 11 pm my nephew went outside - when he opened the door we watched literally thousands of baby mosquitos swarm in. My sister yelled 'What the he** is going on?!' Got the old school barn fly spray out, watched them drop and cover all surfaces. It was insane. This was in WI by a river.

I have heard that if you burn used coffee grounds on little tinfoil pouches it keeps then away. Might try that this summer. Have tried using aloe vera gel as a repellant, it works but not for long periods of time.

5. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I am actually concerned with all the rain we have had this year and if we get a hot summer....it will be a awful year for mosquitoes. The fight will be on to counter attack these pests

6. Hikeswithcats

Hikeswithcats New Member

When I had my old camper, I used to put a piece of duct tape over any light gaps where the tenting met the trailer base or roof. It wasn't pretty, but it helped when camping in areas with heavy mosquitoes. Keeping yourself bug-sprayed with a good repellent helps also. Now that I camp with a tent, I don't have much problem with gaps~ but they still will follow you inside (and it takes a LOT longer to close the door). Turning any light off & limiting the amount of in and out's after dusk certainly helps. Unfortunately, no matter what you do, there will always be that stray mosquito.... and it will always seem to want to buzz in your ear when you go to bed...Grrrrrrr[:(!]

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I found if I leave my outside light on bugs are much closer to the door and just follow you inside too easily especially if the light is on inside as well . I also found a few gaps on my tenting to the camper frame where they may have been getting in as well. The more the door is opened the more just follow in. I don't turn the outside light on by the door much for this reason. I sometimes use a citranella candle under the awning to help keep the more pesky ones away. However depending on where you camp and how bad they are, there are always some that find their way in.

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I agree totally. The added problem is that right at the end of the evening, you have to open the door one last time to reach outside and turn off the porch light. (I thought of relocating the switch inside for this).

I like having the light on by the door. So I think what I will try this year is to relocate the light away from the door. I'm going to try an experiment with a second light. I'm going to take a second light, attach the wires to the first light, and hang it at the far end of the Pup, possibly high up under the awning. The location for the second light is still yet to be determined. It will operate with the switch of the light at the door. I will then remove the light bulb from the light at the door, so I doesn't come on. All the bugs and moths will go to the new second light (hopefully), far away from the opening door. If this works, I'll turn this into a permanent mod and hide all the wires away all professional like.

9. Norman Rance

Norman Rance Member

We do not use the outside light or lanterns at all we brought 6 solar yard lights the 99 cent garden ones from wal-mart. place them around camp plenty of light dont bother other campers, bugs dont hang around them and no propane no battery works great.

10. cyndib

cyndib Member

As someone mentioned above, we grow big skeeters here in Missouri. I've found burning a citronella candle, (preferably the one by Tiki with the bite fighter) keeps them out. I place one fairly close to the door. Last summer I didn't even use bug spray, just set a few of these around camp. It's works great.

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Are you sure they were "baby mosquitoes"? We grow them pretty big and thick here in MN, and we definitely get some inside, but most of the tiny little bugs that get in and are attracted to the lights aren't mosquitos.

12. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

We generally try and not have any interior lights on whenever possible, to minimize the attraction of bugs. If we are sitting outside at a fire or whatever, no need for lights really anyway. If we are in for the evening we use smaller lanterns rather than the larger overhead fixture.

For mosquito defense, we use Thermacell units, but I have also had success with old-school mosquito coils placed near the door to the camper, to deter bugs from the area.

Our exterior light got an LED replacement bulb last year. I find it so bright at night, that it is usually only on if we need to find something misplaced. We seem to notice less insect draw to the smaller LED lanterns we use, maybe the light is not as much of a draw for bugs, I don't know.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I was wondering if perhaps I was to change the outside light to be Amber or some other color than white if the bugs would still be as drawn to the light.

14. tfischer

Our outside light is amber. It helps, but doesn't completely eliminate the problem.

15. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

"baby mosquitoes"? I'm not so sure that's what they were, I think the little buggers hatch full size ... maybe you have some sort of gnat infestation? Were they biting you?

16. RockinD

RockinD Member

What about those little bug zappers? I'm thinking of hanging one off the end of the awning to see if that helps with mosquitos. Anyone ever try that?

17. tfischer

They aren't very effective. Mosquitos aren't very attracted to them, and they kill a lot of desirable bugs that don't bite.

If you do use one, I wouldn't hang it on the awning... you want them off where they can attract bugs away from where you are, not near where you are.

18. RockinD

RockinD Member

Gotcha. Thanks.

19. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

There are a lot of flies that look like mosquitoes and don't bite (midges, gnats, etc.). Doesn't mean you want them in your camper! There are also tiny species of mosquitoes and BIG ones, both unwelcome.

We pretty much just have resigned ourselves to chasing down any mosquitoes in the camper before bed. Being able to correctly identify them makes this job easier--we don't even bother killing the male ones because they don't bite. Lazy? You betcha!

(Incidentally, any flying insect is a fully grown adult.)

20. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I've been to most of the areas you guys are talking about over the years but down here in FL the Mosquito is our State Bird and they get so big you could put small saddles on them.

To answer the OP we use Thermocell which works well and lasts a few hours. We also burn Sage on the fire which keeps ALL the biting insects away. We've tried Citronella and other things but those two we use work well as does smoke from the fire and if there's a light breeze I'll toss some leaves onto the coals and they provide a nice smoke to circulate the area.