Mosquito traps

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by slicvickie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. slicvickie

slicvickie Member

Homemade Mosquito Trap

Items needed:

1 cup of water
    1/4 cup of brown sugar
    1 gram of yeast
    2-liter plastic bottle

1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
    2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
    3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
    4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
    5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are drawn to the color black or white.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
    If you can't visualize the finished device, just do a search for "Mosquito traps"

This works wonderfully!
    It took about half an hour for the skeeters to find these, but when they do, you can sit and watch them just kamakazee into the trap.
    I am going to try this with regular 20 oz pop bottles for camping.

2. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Thanks, I will defiantly have to try this.

3. jackk

jackk Member

Very cool idea, will test it on the next trip. [RTM]

4. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Can someone convert a gram of yeast into us measurements (tbsp. or fraction of cups)? Having a problem in our yard with mosquitos.

5. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

1 gram = .035 ounces

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

A gram will be a small pinch. Go with half of one 1/8 teaspoon, it will be fine. The yeast will just eat more and make more CO2 for attraction.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Please update and let us know how it works...

8. nikki b

nikki b New Member

Thanks I'm gonna try this on our next camping trip!! :)

9. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

im gonna try it in my yard all the way on the far side as soon as this rain ever stops. If I wanted to do it now I would probably need a boat to get to the other side, LOL

10. kpic

kpic New Member

With all the rain, this was just in time. [:D]

11. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

I saw these on FB and thought they were genius! I'll be interested to hear if it reduced the human attacks, or just attracts more skeeters to the area.
    I despise wearing DEET only slightly less than mosquito bites. I despise encephalitis and other mosquito borne diseases the most, so I wear it and i make the kids wear it. nothing comes close to its effectiveness.
    Taking care of encephalitis patients in the ICU gives me a healthy respect for the disease. It is debilitating and has a long term rehabilitation, and that's a good outcome. :(

12. grubbster

grubbster New Member

Tried this out and it did not work at my house. I made the trap and put it on the front porch where we sit in the evenings. For a couple of days we did not get out there to sit and when I checked the trap all it had in it were flies. Later that day we went out to sit right beside the trap and I got bitten several times within a few minutes. Never did see a mosquito in the trap.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

The CO2 created by the yeast "eating" the sugar is what attracts mosquitoes. Essentially, it's the same process used in home brewing beer or whine. Adding hot water kills the yeast so using lukewarm water is the key. Doubling the amount of yeast creates more CO2 but for a shorter period of time.

The only thing that kills the trapped mosquitoes is time since they're unable to find their way out of the bottle before the end of their life cycle.

14. arffch

arffch Member

Just like the bug "zappers" they attract the critters. It is best to put them away from where you are. All the bugs in the back yard , people on the porch away from the trap

15. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

going to have to try this. DW gets bit every time we go out. even in the fall. and she gets big welts over them.

16. gasmandave

gasmandave Member

I made 3 of them an none worked. Maybe my yeast was bad.

17. generok

generok Well-Known Member

No, your results seem to be about what most people report. These home remedy posts on Facebook are the new "Like if you love puppies, ignore if you want this puppy to die" type posts.

I was going to try it, but I've seen NO posts where folks said they worked well. I think this was started by a yeast company to drive up sales.

18. ONTHEPIPE33

ONTHEPIPE33 New Member

Thermacell is a great product. Only for sitting in one place (and not in the wind). But if its windy skeeters aren't usually too bad

19. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

This topic intrigues me. I know that the concept of CO2 attracting mosquitoes is sound. There are several very successful products out there that use CO2.

CO2 is a colorless odorless gas that is heavier than air. There is a science experiment that I have personally done where you "pour" CO2 gas like water. You light several candles and put them in a small aquarium. You then take a container that contains the CO2 gas and you pour it into the aquarium and the CO2 will pour in and extinguish the flames of the candles. It is actually a very cool experiment. You can probably find something on you tube about it.

That being said, I wonder how those that have tried this trap are hanging it. My guess would be that it is being hung upright with the bottom of the bottle toward the ground. This would not allow the CO2 gas to escape the bottle, unless enough CO2 gas was created to fill the trap to the point that the gas "overflows" the bottle, which would actually take a lot of time. Therefore the mosquitoes are not able to find and be attracted by the gas. I know the products that I have seen create the gas and expel it into the air around and allow it to fall to the ground. Very similar to a fountain or sprinkler. Now you might be able to tip the bottle on it's side and allow the gas to overflow the bottle sooner and get a waterfall effect.

Also, as someone already mentioned, yeast is a very delicate organism and the activation liquid must be at a specific temperature range. Too cold and they will not wake up and too hot and they will be killed off. You could try live yeast and see if that helps out at all. Also, remember that yeast has a shelf life and does expire. Expired yeast is dead.