Mosquitos

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
Not a big fan of deet. It eats through plastics.
Me either. Causes cancer too. I stopped using deet after a fly fishing trip in Maine. I put bug stuff on, washed my hands thoroughly with a bar soap for laundry and warm water. I noticed afterwards while fishing that my fingerprints were staying on the fly line...it was melting the pvc coating even after washing my hands.

I use natrapel now. It's now picardin based, but used to be all natural and worked better in its original format IMO. Still works well but you just have to reapply it more often. Smells decent too.

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
DW and I use Deet, we are not made of plastic, and no cancer so far at 71 yrs plus.
I'm not made of plastic either, but like I said, fly line is...it'll mess up a lot of things you wouldn't think of like some finishes and paints. If you get enough on synthetic clothing it can mess that up as well. It's kinda nasty stuff and some people choose other less nasty stuff to put on their skin. I'm glad to hear you and your wife are cancer free though [:D]

Permetherine works great for mosquitoes and especially for ticks, but you have to spray your clothes ahead of time and let them fully dry. Doesn't repel them though. It just kills them if they land on your clothing, so it's usually better for ticks.

STUE

Aug 5, 2014
Ok, thats the topic. My familly, excluding me, get bit to hell every year. So, I steped up my arsenal this year. We have the sprays, the lotions, the candles, and tiki torches with citrallalla, coupled with the most gruesome box fan imaginable. ( its bad , it was my painting fan). I have added to this, the thermocell, hopefully this will keep our blood out of the mouths of these vampiric creatons.
Sounds like you haven’t tried incense. Leave an opening for them to exit the camper.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Well considering you have the ability to buy skeeter spray with high levels of Deet (up to 100%), unlike us folks further North. I'm surprised you need all that stuff in your skeeter arsenal, you sound like a guy from the Toronto area going camping in Algonquin.. And yes I've had all that plus skeeter coils in my arsenal for years.. just wish we could get sprays with higher levels of Deet..
Can you order on USA Amazon? My kiddo was in love with a cartoon from the UK, which made me get a multicode DVD and order them thru Amazon UK.

Here in MN, we have Winter, Road Construction and Skeeter Seasons. We're good with it, but we itch sometimes. And, we don't have an accent, don'tchaknow?

Jun 21, 2014
Ok, thats the topic. My familly, excluding me, get bit to hell every year. So, I steped up my arsenal this year. We have the sprays, the lotions, the candles, and tiki torches with citrallalla, coupled with the most gruesome box fan imaginable. ( its bad , it was my painting fan). I have added to this, the thermocell, hopefully this will keep our blood out of the mouths of these vampiric creatons.
I have 2 large lemongrass plants (where citronella comes from). Did small trim and followed this recipe:

Fill typical pasta pot half way with water. Add a pinch of salt. Cut lemongrass to fit **wear gloves**, submerge cuttings. Boil for 10 minutes. Let cool 1-5 hours. Strain liquid and store in mason jars, filling squirter bottles as needed.

Sherronlee

Apr 10, 2020
Northern BC
I remember reading a article about bike camping in Florida .. the complaint was mosquitos .. this person claimed he applied Permethrin to his tarp and he was mosquito free .. I have not tried that .. but if I do some type of awning .. I think I'll give it a try .. ?
Yes, I am one of those people :huh:

Permethrin is a pyrethroid that can be inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through skin. Depending on the formulation, permethrin is a non-toxic to moderately toxic pesticide. Short-term side effects in sensitive individuals include eye, skin, nose, and throat irritation, and may include breathing problems.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Yes, I am one of those people :huh:

Permethrin is a pyrethroid that can be inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through skin. Depending on the formulation, permethrin is a non-toxic to moderately toxic pesticide. Short-term side effects in sensitive individuals include eye, skin, nose, and throat irritation, and may include breathing problems.
It all depends on the dosage, and some are not ment to be put on clothing. They wash horses with it at lower concentrations. They put it on dogs also, cats are highly sensitive to it , so no go on the cats. Its basically a nerve agent for bugs. Ot can be highly toxic, at higher strengths its used for termite barriers. Yes, I have bottles of the stuff for bugs, but it is not the kind that can be applied to clothing. So, same chemical, maybe a diffent additive?