Mosquitos

SheaLoner

Apr 12, 2021
Upstate NY
I have a few dab bottles of Uncle Ben's 100% deet floating around. Those get pulled out when the deer flies get too bad. Clothing only, no skin contact.
But for general use I use this Lifestings spray. Makes the cats awefully friendly but keeps the skeeters and black flies off and it smells sooo good.

Attachments

• stings3ozspray_900x.jpg
    stings3ozspray_900x.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 9

poppy65

May 10, 2015
Ok, thats the topic. My familly, excluding me, get bit to hell every year. So, I steped up my arsenal this year. We have the sprays, the lotions, the candles, and tiki torches with citrallalla, coupled with the most gruesome box fan imaginable. ( its bad , it was my painting fan). I have added to this, the thermocell, hopefully this will keep our blood out of the mouths of these vampiric creatons.
Get the green coils. You light the end of it and let it burn a half inch with the flame then put the flame out and it will slowly burn and put off smoke. Like you I tried everything and nothing beats them.

ADK_ Adventures

Apr 17, 2021
I don’t think anyone has yet mentioned the Lemon Eucalyptus based spray products. My wife and I tried these a couple of years ago and won’t use anything else anymore. Neither of us likes the traditional DEET sprays, they smell bad and feel bad on your skin all day, and personally I’ve never found them to be that effective. We thought the Lemon Eucalyptus formula was pleasant to use, and very, very effective. I know Natrapel and Coleman make a version, we have tried the Natrapel and would recommend it.

-Amos

gladecreekwy

Super Active Member
Sep 25, 2016
Jackson Wyoming
I don’t think anyone has yet mentioned the Lemon Eucalyptus based spray products. My wife and I tried these a couple of years ago and won’t use anything else anymore. Neither of us likes the traditional DEET sprays, they smell bad and feel bad on your skin all day, and personally I’ve never found them to be that effective. We thought the Lemon Eucalyptus formula was pleasant to use, and very, very effective. I know Natrapel and Coleman make a version, we have tried the Natrapel and would recommend it.

-Amos
Those are the only natural products that have worked for us

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Returned recently from a trip to northern MN. This is serious bug country. Many mosquitoes, plus was still tick season incl. deer ticks who carry Lyme. My approach was treating my 2 pair pants with Permethrin spray beforehand, & 1 pair shorts. Permethrin is good for 6 weeks if you don’t wash it too much. Plus, I had 25percent Deet spray. Only used the deet on exposed arm & leg skin, around 4 PM, plus back of my neck. I use deet sparingly, and I can’t tolerate Picardin — makes me break out in itchy hives. This worked well since I had only 3 mosquito bites noticeable over span of 3 days despite tent camping. Had to pry 2 ticks off one of my dogs though. I applied the deet before evening hours so that it would be worn off enough to not melt my sleeping bag, hopefully.

Permethrin works on the nervous system of insects, not of people. Ticks will fall off your pants due to being partly paralyzed, then they may die later. Also tucked my pants bottoms inside socks like the local hikers do. It keeps ticks from climbing up inside your pants.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Ok so the repel was ok. Worked on the green horseflys on the beach. Mosquitoes was iffy, we got bit to hell later before dark. The zappers did zap and killed lots of stuff. But we still got bit. The thermocell worked. We didnt break out the permithem lotion. Or the deet. Was trying diffrent things.

jckele

May 24, 2011
Might sound a bit crazy, but try burning pressed paper egg cartons or the multi cup holders from the coffee shop. Use moderate size pieces and let them smolder under your camping chair while sitting around the fire.Smaller pieces burn slower and last longer. Mosquitoes don't like it.

It works!

ceslinsab

Apr 18, 2016
You may want to try coconut oil. It works wonders. They will not land on you.
Ok, thats the topic. My familly, excluding me, get bit to hell every year. So, I steped up my arsenal this year. We have the sprays, the lotions, the candles, and tiki torches with citrallalla, coupled with the most gruesome box fan imaginable. ( its bad , it was my painting fan). I have added to this, the thermocell, hopefully this will keep our blood out of the mouths of these vampiric creatons.

tchalender

Apr 5, 2006

Best thing I ever purchased, I've had the first version of this since 2007. It's a game changer.

TSS

Jan 17, 2022
NW Georgia
Thermocell is awesome. We use it in screen room and sometimes use a yard fogger. Gnats and tiny no-seeems (sp) are bad in the south.

poppy65

May 10, 2015
Best thing I have found are mosquito coils get them at walmat

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Returned recently from a trip to northern MN. This is serious bug country. Many mosquitoes, plus was still tick season ....
We have the 'Skeeters in stock up here, HUH? Glad you enjoyed yourself. Good Winters and Bugs are what separates the fake Minnesotains from the Real Minnesotains...

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
A friend of mine posted this on Facebook recently. She got quite the reaction...
SO YOU COWARDS think you're tough because you jumped me ??? Waited for me to be alone in the parking lot!
😠
I still handled you, left 1 of you on the ground laid out!!! You're lucky I don't have any marks on my face. Got some marks on my arms and legs but so what!!!! Bet you didn't expect me to swing back since it was just me. You should have known better!!! I might be getting old but I have a lot of fight left in me! Yea not gonna lie, I was getting tired, but I kept on swinging and made sure you got yours... Little Punks!!! All I have to say is you started this and I finished it. I hate mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are not my friends. Welcome to an Arkansas summer

Stereo56

Jul 16, 2020
My father owns one of those foggers that work off propane. Campground may frown on using it with other people around. Or get the canned version of it. Basically you'll create an environment where they die when they land on the areas around your camp.

Please don’t spray your campsites. That stuff kills pollinators, too. Do what you want on your own property, but please don’t poison other areas.