Mosquitos

elena psenicnik

Jul 12, 2021
A couple of years ago me and my young adult kids did a small thru -hike. We brought along mesh bug suits, as it seemed more efficient weight wise than carrying a ton of bug dope. All the kids complained because they look goofy. Well, they changed their tune real quick when the northern ontario bugs came for them . Now we use them all the time ! It’s become our tent trailer fashion. Fellow campers look pretty enviuos as we amble calmly amongst clouds of black flies :)

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
Ok, thats the topic. My familly, excluding me, get bit to hell every year. So, I steped up my arsenal this year. We have the sprays, the lotions, the candles, and tiki torches with citrallalla, coupled with the most gruesome box fan imaginable. ( its bad , it was my painting fan). I have added to this, the thermocell, hopefully this will keep our blood out of the mouths of these vampiric creatons.
I don't know what it is, but I'm one of those that only gets bit if there's no one else around. Once thought it had something to do with the generous amount of garlic I use, but have met other that use just as much and get bit. Maybe it's a certain blood type they don't like.

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
We didnt break out the permithem lotion. Or the deet.
Permethrin is for use only on clothing, gear, tents. Not for skin use, isn't a lotion. Picaridin can be in a spray or lotion for skin. Both start with P but that is where the similarity ends.
Having a hard time finding the Deet in a small lotion bottle now- -seems they want you to use sprays and aerosol cans, which I dislike. Don't mind the deet on my skin but do NOT like to inhale it. Sensitive lungs.

jbruels

Aug 19, 2015
Anecdotally, I've had some luck with Thermacells and an old fashioned campfire. As far as evidence, I'm not sure there is much beyond blasting yourself with DEET. So, it's sort of a "pick your poison" proposition.

jbruels

Aug 19, 2015
Anecdotally, I've had some luck with Thermacells and an old fashioned campfire. As far as evidence, I'm not sure there is much beyond blasting yourself with DEET. So, it's sort of a "pick your poison" proposition.
Also, we have a screen enclosure for the picnic table (along with a fly swatter inside). When it's just really bad, we stay inside the camper or the screen enclosure. Happily, it's only gotten to that point once or twice.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
I don't know what it is, but I'm one of those that only gets bit if there's no one else around. Once thought it had something to do with the generous amount of garlic I use, but have met other that use just as much and get bit. Maybe it's a certain blood type they don't like.
I manage a training lab and had an opportunity to talk to a 3M scientist about skeeters one time.
A lot of it shows up on the company blog:

STUE

Aug 5, 2014
Ok, thats the topic. My familly, excluding me, get bit to hell every year. So, I steped up my arsenal this year. We have the sprays, the lotions, the candles, and tiki torches with citrallalla, coupled with the most gruesome box fan imaginable. ( its bad , it was my painting fan). I have added to this, the thermocell, hopefully this will keep our blood out of the mouths of these vampiric creatons.
Incense can drive them away, leave an opening so they can fly out. a nice way to set up for sleeping

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
You are correct.
Permethrin is for use only on clothing, gear, tents. Not for skin use, isn't a lotion. Picaridin can be in a spray or lotion for skin. Both start with P but that is where the similarity ends.
Having a hard time finding the Deet in a small lotion bottle now- -seems they want you to use sprays and aerosol cans, which I dislike. Don't mind the deet on my skin but do NOT like to inhale it. Sensitive lungs.

WF Willis

Nov 15, 2020
I spray my clothes, hat, socks, and shoes with permethrin (same stuff the military uses). If a lot of mosquitos are present, I use thermocell also. If there are a lot of flies, especially the big horse flies, I hang a fly trap (Home Depot or Walmart) in a tree nearby.

OTR1522

Jun 9, 2018
Mosquitos literally suck but this post made me think back to the Tabasco Ad with the guy sitting there eating pizza smothered in Tabasco- mosquito bites him and flies off and explodes - just watched it again on you tube and laughed - look it up if you want a laugh.
My family of 3 camping and I’m the only one that gets attacked- until I started using Permethrin- works great for me

TheBlurb

Mar 28, 2019
I’m on Day 2 at the Mosquito Capital Campground. We’ve come here for the last 3 years knowing full well it’s the worst place for the biters.

But we’re using Thermacell this year. I still can’t believe how well it works. Beats any bug tent, spray or candle.

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021
My whole canvas is treated with permethrin. That, the awning, the sun shade, the blankets, ...
It may be "overkill" but I am not taking chances. Blankets are because during sleep when your in your skippies, if one is on your skin it will still work
Where does one obtain permethrin? We have a pop up screen room i would do that to.
Do you also spritz it on the netting?
Thanks.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Where does one obtain permethrin? We have a pop up screen room i would do that to.
Thanks.
I bought a big jug of it at Tractor Supply and dilute it with distilled water.
You can get the easy to use spray in the camping aisle at Walmart under the Sawyer brand name.

We also got a couple of electric zapper tennis racket looking gizmos at Ollie's. It's wickedly satisfying to swipe at a swarm of mossies and hear them fry.

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
Thanks.
The easiest way is to buy Sawyer permethrin

I ended up using a lot to treat the kids clothing, tent, awning, pop up,etc.. I ended up getting the concentrate off Amazon and diluting it to spray concentration.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
The easiest way is to buy Sawyer permethrin

I ended up using a lot to treat the kids clothing, tent, awning, pop up,etc.. I ended up getting the concentrate off Amazon and diluting it to spray concentration.
Just remember not good for cats.