Motel Stay

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by OldNavy, Apr 22, 2017.

1. OldNavy

OldNavy Member

I am going on a 5 day road trip next month. On the way back, I know I will need to stop instead of trying to make it all the way back home. I have elected to stay overnight at a motel. Are there any motel chains (ie....La Quinta, Comfort Suites, etc...) that people use to park their popups? Like safe, lighted lots, etc.?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We only have done that once, and it was not at a chain hotel/motel. We had stayed at (Little America in Flagstaff) before, so knew they had a large parking lot. We asked where they wanted us to park it, and it's a place we felt it as safe as most any.
    The problem with many of the chains is that the individual locations vary a lot. I know of one LaQuinta in Tucson that, last time I stayed there, had enough parking to stop with a camper. I know some have used google maps and street view to check out space at possible stops. However, in some places things may have changed.
    My best suggestion is to pick the area where you want to stop and call or email the individual hotel for specifics.

durhamcamper likes this.
  3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I've stayed a several over the years. Just let them know you have a small trailer before you arrive and you'll be set. All you have to do is decide where to park.

4. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

I/we have run up against this several times, when a multiple destination camping trip was sandwiched around a professional meeting, family gathering, etc. Never had a problem, but take care to contact the hotel/motel/resort and ask about truck and trailer parking. Also make a point of "electronically scouting" the motel through Google Maps or another route planning website- aerial views can tell you a lot!

5. world traveler

world traveler Active Member

Stayed at several. Some mentioned rv parking available, and you can call or check others on Google maps. You definitely want to call with busy areas. We check reviews for motels first, then look for parking options. Look for lots with 2 car length parking in the middle or somewhere in the back along the curb that dosent have red paint on.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  6. MKEdmond

MKEdmond New Member

Always ask! Made two fairly long trips last summer with motel stays on the way home. One place that should have been easy was having remodeling done, so extra spaces were in use. Granted, we were not at places with limited vacancies, but did not have a problem finding a place to drop the pup while we went to eat, etc.

7. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I initially considered a hotel stay for our first night on our last 2 week trip in early Jan (but changed my mind in stuck with camping). As stated earlier, a google maps satellite view allows you to see the parking lot and get a sense for the neighborhood.

I travel all the time for work (which is why I vaca in a camper) and stick to one of the higher end chains (Marriott in my case) because it is rare to have a bad room. I stick with Marriotts because I basically know what I am getting into. I've never seen evidence of bedbugs. From talking to many frequent travelers, the lower end chains are rolling the dice... Some rooms are fine, some are awful...

(currently in a Marriott outside of Chicago ;) )

8. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Like NHLakes, I travel for work as well. My travel takes me out to a location for weeks at a time, so I often bring the pop up to use on the weekends. I just drop the pup in a far-ish spot, put a hitch lock on it, and make sure the door is locked. I've never had an issue with security. I stay in Hilton properties (Hilton, Garden Inn, Hampton, etc.) and also have never had issues with bedbugs.

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I have done this several times being allowed to bring along my POPUP on work trips. We would drive the weekends on both ends of the work trip.

We had a couple of favorite motels stops along the way usually following US82 starting out from Virginia and picking up US82 in ALA... All roads always went through Gatlinburg TN it seems...

We was allowed to park our POPUP trailer in the back of the MOTEL and always had a view of the POPUP trailer from the MOTEL window.. Another thing I did was use a full cover for the POPUP trailer when parked which made it look just like a boat. Who's going to bother a parked boat in Greenville MS hehe...

We found another spot along the US 82 road where we was allowed to park behind the hotel and plug into a 120VAC outside service receptacle...

Our OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer has a unique look to it and pretty soon we were being recognized by the various same fuel stops and restaurant folks along the way... My work trips was for the Space Surveillance System across the bottom part of the US and fed by the US82 from Georgia to Texas. We had always called the US82 corridor the SPASUR highway hehe... I was heading West through Greenville MS on US82 one trip and pulled off into turn lane to get some gas and noticed a local Law Enforcement dude made a quick same turn into the turn lane behind me. I pulled up to the gas pumps and started pumping gas. The Deputy gets out and comes over and said he had seen me coming through here before and wanted to get a closer look out my OFF-ROAD POPUP. I just knew I had done something wrong haha... I even offered to raise the roof for him but he declined... Lots of OUTDOOR guys everywhere I guess...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

DKM likes this.
  10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

We have used Best Western, La Quinta, and Quality Inns. Some motels in our usual travel paths in TX and NM will have an adjacent gravel lot to park trucks and trailers. These are usually along major truck routes and on the edge of town, sometimes near, but not adjacent to, truck stops.

As said earlier, call the motel you think you want to stop at and ask if they have accommodations for trucks/trailers.

11. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

We have done this several times. We just made sure that the pup was locked to the tongue which was locked to the truck. On one trip there was double length parking so we had to unhook and park side by side. We put the lock on the trailer coupler and had no problem.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We are planning on doing this on the way out to the Black Hills this summer. Will be just an overnight and don't want to mess with setup/teardown since we have sightseeing and driving planned for those days.

Following this thread for tips as we've never done it before.

13. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

This topic is almost a year old. I don't think this is a major issue. Doing this in a major city is a tough task, but planning a stop in a safe suburb is almost no issue. I used to travel a lot for work and almost every hotel I stayed at had some sort of parking space for trailers and almost every time I stayed someone had a trailer whether it be a boat, atv's, work equipment, etc. Due diligence may be needed by doing a google maps check of parking but stopping in a safe location would be number one, then ample parking lot.

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If possible, check the local crime reports if you're planning to stop at hotels with your trailer. ABQ is the vehicle theft capital of the country. Just going by news reports, there have been a few trailers of one sort or another stolen from hotel parking lots in the past couple of years. Often they are cargo trailers (one recent one was a cargo trailer being used by a family to transport the body of a loved one across the country for burial - I'm sure the thieves had a shock at that one, it was recovered unharmed, though). Still, I'd be nervous about leaving a trailer of any sort unattended at some locations. Knowing the areas that seem to be the most often hit here in town, they would not be hotels I would stop at, but I'm sure I wouldn't know that in other places.