mothball odor

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by CJ71, Apr 16, 2009.

1. CJ71

CJ71 New Member

Hello, I bought a used camper, well the lady put mothballs in it to store, and boy the smell doesn't want to go away..its not camping time here yet. (upstate NY) I am airing it out every day, but you can't spend anytime in there it STINKS..I hope it goes away or the camper will have to go, it gives me a headache. Just wondered if anyone else had to cope with this and what they did. CJ

2. lodost45

lodost45 Member

First double, double check to make sure all of the mothballs are out. Check every nook and cranny.

Spread a bunch of scented dryer sheets throughout the camper and seal for a day.

You also might try lightly scorching coffee grounds and setting in the camper. It would be best if you can scorch them in the camper so the smoke will penetrate the canvas and bed pads.

In the future if you want to use mothballs put them in a open cardboard beer flat so they all come out of the camper in the spring.

DH Class of 63, DW Class of 64
    DS90/DS92/DS99(all Campers)
    BABY-The Bassett

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I just did a search, "getting rid of mothball odor". It takes time and often plenty of that. One says to use trays of charcoal to absorb the smell.
    One says to use trays of baking soda.
    One says to steam clean fabrics and air out with as much heat as possible.
    I say leave it open with every cabinet door, drawer and window open.
    If you are sensitive to the chemical, you may have to get rid of the Pup b4 you get rid of the odor.
    Sorry about the situation.

2004 Fleetwood Utah
    2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 Ext. Cab
    www.CWhatIC.net

4. xraypmn

xraypmn New Member

We had this same problem this year. We opened it up and kept it up for 3 weeks .Air circulation is important. We sat activated charcoal baking soda and coffee grounds on plates all threw the camper. It helped some but by week 3 i bought "odo-ban" (sams club) and wiped down the walls and floors. I washed curtains and cushion covers in detergent and odo ban, letting it soak in the washer. I hung everything out on the clothesline for 2 days drying. I sprayed the cushions with diluted odo ban and layed out on a table outside to dry and air out. We are moth ball smell free. Odo ban works!

5. ballard

ballard New Member

Yes the nastalgia of moth ball smell.....reminds me of the closets in my grandmother's old summer cottage.

6. phipps

phipps Member

We store our camper with mothballs and it always airs out within an hour or two.