Motion Lights and/or cameras?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by cannibal, Jan 23, 2014.

1. cannibal

cannibal New Member

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse. I tried to search best I could but didn't find any definitive answers.
    I'm curious if anyone has ever successfully used motion sensors at their camp site. It seems that the light would be handy when stepping out of the PUP, but might trigger a lot of false positives late at night.
    I was thinking of mounting the motion sensor on the tow vehicle pointed away from the main road, so movement in the PUP doesn't trigger it.
    Going outside of the tent would set it off, but that might be a convenience for whoever is exiting the tent. I was trying to search around if the motion sensor light is helpful, or more trouble than it's worth.

My other thought was a camera system. I have a couple old Android smart phones I don't use anymore. They are both rooted, and I was thinking about creating a custom ROM to act as a dash cam for when I'm driving, and a different mode to record 2 frames per second when the car is off. I have an inconspicuous place to mount it so the phone wouldn't be a target itself.
    I think the setup would most likely be used to get good candid pictures of the family, and maybe good for a chuckle should an animal make a feast of any food we didn't secure. In the rare event something did get stolen it would be nice to at least give a description of what the person was wearing, even if it was just a raccoon.

Just some thoughts, curious if any of you all have had any success with either of these methods. Thanks!

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

3. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I thought about the motion light, but who knows how many times that would go off. We have one in the back yard and it's always critters. So, my new thought is to wire a 12 volt switch inside to run the outside light. I can never seem to find that little switch on the light in the dark.

I like the camera idea. Someday when I have some extra cash, I'd like to get a trail camera and set it up, just to see what critters are roaming around camp at night. Or who's stealing my fire wood. [:D]

4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

5. cannibal

cannibal New Member

bupkis: Thanks for the input!

Tacoma_Jim: I was kind of wondering how much it would go off, seems like it wouldn't really work to serve as an alert per se, but it would probably make firewood thiefs shy away. I like your idea of having the switch in an easy to reach location, I'll definitely have to incorporate that.

Old_Geezer: That would look to work! It seems like the output might be a bit lower than I would like, but then again I wouldn't want to run the battery down super quick either and it would still get the point across. Thanks, that definitely looks like a good option.

6. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

DH installed a motion sensor led light under the step of our pup. It goes on when someone approaches the door, or exits the pup. It's been very handy after dark.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I think that unless it's a very small, low-power, narrow beam light near the PUP and aimed at the stairs like nancyanddan just mentioned, a motion-sensor-triggered light would be annoying to everyone in the CG. Birds, tree branches moving in the wind and ground critters would be setting it off all night long. If you want to see what you are doing when you leave the tent, use a flashlight. No need to "over engineer" the situation.

8. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

I bought a small battery powered LED motion sensing light that we set up by the pup door. Just bright enough to light up a few feet around the step. Good for those late night baathroom runs. Only stays on a minute or two. It slides out of a plastic bracket so we only set it in place when we turn in for the night. I think it was less than $15.

9. cannibal

cannibal New Member

The more I think about it, the more I realize that it's going to be entirely dependent on the hardware I find. To Unstable_Tripod's point, it would have to be narrow beam and low power to not annoy the neighbor's at the camp ground should it keep going off throughout the night.

I really like the idea of mounting it under the stairs, that's very clever. I think I'm going to go with a battery powered narrow beam light and try it out for a camp or two. If it doesn't work out for me, I can always install it at the house in a spot I know needs light where the trash cans are.

Thank you everyone for the input, I'll update with how it works out.

10. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

We have 4 solar light we use when camping and a string of lights on the awning

11. Revelations

Revelations Enjoy the adventure!

LED lights are great deterrents. Motion LED lights add to it, and may also help to deter 4 legged thieves. We use the solar styles of string and landscaping lights. Also helps for the midnight bathroom run or snack attack.

12. turborich

turborich Active Member

Yep, I have 4 motion activated inferred night vision cameras on each corner of the pup. I also have multiple motion sensing LED security lights on each side. For sleeping during the night I have a bracket made out of aluminum that securely holds my ******* which has had the ******* full auto conversion done. The trigger is attached to a spring which will activate once the door is opened more than 2 inches. I have a 33 round mag in the *****. Anyone on the other side of the door will be in trouble. I have the cameras to document if this device should go off. I'm not taking any chances since there have been hundreds of UFO and alien sightings this year alone at campgrounds/national forest located at higher altitudes. Many people have been abducted only to be found later with organs missing and strange implants in their bodies. [2C]

13. Wolf

Wolf New Member

X2

14. ppsage

ppsage New Member

That's where my abdominal scars came from! Everybody tries to convince me it was a hernia, but I don't remember a thing.

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Thing we aliens don't walk up to your site and knock on the door .. we hover and zap you right through the roof, aluminum hats and all ...

[:D]