Mount Rushmore KOA

Discussion in 'South Dakota' started by Manper, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Manper

Manper New Member

This KOA is the most family friendly campground. We thoroughly enjoyed our 6 nights with full hook ups. Highly recommend staying here [:D]

2. jetta

jetta New Member

Was this the Palmer Gultch one?
    I was going to write also about this one but the other way of it. Been saying here for years because it really was a great camp ground. But it seems the past couple of years it has got to big and they cant keep up. Was really disappointed by it this last go around because its normally high standards have fallen so far. To where our last night there we drove around many other camp grounds in the area to find where we will start to go to being we are up in the hills quite often.

3. Manper

Manper New Member

actually yes. We went over labor day weekend and 4th of July week and had a great time both times. Although the reviews this year for them are mediocre one can only hope they take the reviews and turn it around. Everyone has there own standard of what constitutes good camping [:D]

4. upfeich

upfeich New Member

We stayed here for 2 nights (water electric site) that had some shade trees. I would not want to be in the big flat field when you first drive in...but everyone is different. Apart from a little construction happening on a nearby site it was wonderful. The 'comfort station' was close and very clean. There were lots of fun things for the kids to do and check in was fast and easy. I loved the garbage and recycling pick up at the site each morning. :) Close to Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Hill City, etc. We took a lovely drive up 385 to Sturgis one day for lunch as well.

5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I have stayed there in the past and we stayed part way up the hill to the left as you come in and it was fairly private and shaded with trees. The flat bottom area is a parking lot. The last two times we have been there (black hills) and in two weeks, we will stay at stockade lake south. I love it there, we stay at an electric site, it is close to many things, has showers and only takes about 8 minutes to run into the town of Custer if you need something. Given some of the excellent campgrounds in Custer state park, we only stay there now.

6. Wyo George

Wyo George New Member

We love Palmer Gultch / Rushmore KOA and it's our weekend getaway since we only live a couple hours away. Depending on the time of year it can be a bit overcrowded, but the staff has always been super friendly towards us and I couldn't care less about having Wifi when camping. The one time my wife and I staid at the lodge I was expecting wifi and a bit dissapointed to see it not offered in the lodge itself, but we weren't there for the internet anyway [;)]

7. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

No beef with Rushmore KOA, but I'd suggest anyone visiting the area check out Rafter J Bar Ranch just down the road. One of the 2 best CGs we've ever stayed in. Staff very helpful, nice sites, and very good facilities. We want to hit it again when we go to Yellowstone.

8. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Another five star vote for Rafter J Bar. By far one of the nicest campgrounds ever!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

9. Wyo George

Wyo George New Member

I'll check out Rafter J the next time my bride and I go without the young'uns. The actual campground at Palmer is merely acceptable, the winner is the water slide and activities the kiddos love. Still, we weekend in the hills several times a year so it'll be nice to try something new.

10. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

We are planning a trip in that area next summer and was thinking about fort Welikit camp ground, any thoughts on it? We are looking for a mid week to mid week stay. Thanks in advance for any info. Jay

11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

What are your interests? If it is getting out and about and hiking and seeing animals, then I would recommend somewhere down in Custer SP. You can go from there to Mt. Rushmore and even into Rapid City quite easily. That State park is probably one of the best in the country.

12. wernerv8worm

wernerv8worm New Member

We stayed at Fort Welikit for 4 days in September 2016.
    Very quiet, nice and clean CG.
    The bathrooms are big and each have their individual rooms. It feels like home bathrooms.
    We would stay there again. Close to the town of Custer and not far from Crazy Horse. :)