Mouse free storage

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Fish-art, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Fish-art

Fish-art New Member

I haven’t had any issues with mice yet but wanted to share since I live where there’s probably 100’s if not 1000’s nearby. We live near acres of fields and that means the tiny field mice that can get just about into anywhere. I wanted a couple areas that I could leave gear in and not worry about nesting and such. Pretty happy about this pretty simple mod. I used really thin wood and just covered up the storage areas over where the kitchen seat cushions go while camping. Very simple but should be perfect just in case I get a random stray. It fits just under the bed rails so should be good for breakdown.

6F4E5C80-2AE8-4516-B321-3812B19182E3.jpeg

1DA34907-F5FD-486D-BD4F-C6C4A38CEB34.jpeg

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Fresh Cab! We've been using this in the campers and boat for several years and never found so much as a dead bug. We store both in a shed that sits next to a hay field. You can buy it at Lowes, Menards, Tractor Supply, Walmart, Amazon etc. It works like a champ.
    https://www.earthkind.com/product/fresh-cab-rodent-repellent/

31IGukIl8zL.jpg

Nicholmom3, Fish-art and daschnoz like this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Looks like you made them a nice house.

Sjm9911 and kcsa75 like this.
  4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I have always used drier sheets... last fall (new camper, new storage building) used drier sheets AND Fresh Cab... had turds on a drier sheet.... no other signs - just a little mouse finger at me.

Dback2k4, Minimalist and kcsa75 like this.
  5. tombiasi

There are plenty of pictures on the net of mice nests made of dryer sheets.:laugh:

xxxapache, kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  6. neighbormike

And bars of soap chewed up...

xxxapache likes this.
  7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

neighbormike likes this.
  8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

CamperChrissy likes this.
  9. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Just as an FYI. I had mice in my car. I had Fresh Cab in my glove box, and they chewed up. :-(

xxxapache likes this.
  10. Fish-art

Fish-art New Member

Thank you kcsa it’s possible in those other situations people are mentioning a mouse got into a spot where it couldn’t find a way out and ate anything it could trying to survive. I’m sure it’s not going to attract any. In reference to “Looks like you made them a nice house.”...here’s a quote I read that inspired my modification “The most successful and permanent form of house mouse control is to "build them out" by eliminating all openings through which they can enter ...” i have a feeling they will get in somehow it’s just so I have an area or two they can’t get into. I’ll post an update soon enough. Maybe I’ll leave some nice paper towel rolls in Fort Knox and that will be a good test.

11. tombiasi

I was the one who said that. I can clearly see your cushions and a large area all around it. I can't see how you built them out.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm kind of confused... your dinette storage doesn't have a wood lid by default? What keeps the cushions from falling in?

neighbormike likes this.
  13. Fish-art

Fish-art New Member

Yikes I don’t want to cause any confusion. When the rig is broken down there isn’t any top or lid to the dinette storage areas. I posted a picture of one covered with the custom storage top and one without. Then another photo of both covered. The cushions fit over top of the storage areas when camping but don’t fit there when breaking down because the bed pullouts wouldn’t slide in if the cushions were there. Been camping Atlantic beach for the last week and I’ll update in a couple months after the cold comes and the little buggers settle in. I have a feeling they will somehow infiltrate my rig but not the storage areas. It seems pretty secure.

14. tfischer

Do your cushions have a board inside them or something? Mine are just foam cushions, hence the confusion.

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

He has the cushions under the table. On mine the cushions form a bed across the tops of the table and benches, the slideout goes over it.

16. tfischer

I get that. Look at his first picture (the small one). It shows the dinette bench on the right with large open gaps. That's evidently how it came from the factory. If I put my cushions on that and sat on it, I'd fall in the hole.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  17. bayport

bayport New Member

My '96 Coleman is similar. All of the bench seats have wood on the back of the cushion and they just rest on the cross braces.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  18. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Bounce brand dryer sheets. I put a whole box of them throughout the camper, every cupboard, cabinet, above and below the mattresses. and a few thrown on the floor for good measure. Camper smells nice and fresh in the Spring and with that many in the camper the mice never go inside to begin with. It's worked for me anyway

19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Whith that many dryer sheets, i might not go in there eaither!

Squeeker and neighbormike like this.
  20. neighbormike

[LOL][LOL] My biggest complaint with the Bounce sheets is they have permanently scented my can coolers... all my beer tastes like my towels smell!! [XX(]

Sjm9911 and Dback2k4 like this.