Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by JimmyM, Sep 12, 2015.
How about a big hungry cat! Just saying
IMHO butt connector, with adhesive lined heat shrink definitely good enough.
Using solder tends to make the wire more rigid creating a potential wire failure due to breakage where the solder stops wicking into the wire.
Quote from NASA spec:
"Measures taken for stress relief of soldered connectors shall be sufficient to assure that all wire
bending will take place in a flexible, unwicked part of the conductor (Requirement). In all
instances, stranded conductors will experience solder-wicking during attachment. The conductor
will be rigid up to the point where the wicking stops and flexible beyond it. Wire movement
concentrates stress at the point where wicking stops, and normal harness handling can produce
conductor fatigue and failure."
This is not a factor if the wires/connectors are supported so they do not move.
Sorry JimmyM. Got carried away in lecture mode.
Forgiven, my brother.
We all hope and strive for the "best".
Have you been able to get out camping in it yet ? Hard to believe the weather we have been having......
Not yet. Traveling a lot for work. Hoping soon though. Fingers crossed.
Got some more done over the last couple of days. No pics yet though. I've got most of the front half done. Notably the slideout. I just have to make a few little adjustments, but it closes to a seam that's pretty tight. I'll get pics tomorrow.
Pretty excited with how it came out so far.
Now I have to contend with the tanks in the back half. So far I've been mounting the mesh flush with the underside insulation. But with the tanks, I'm wondering if I can't just have it span the bottoms of the beams and frame members. This way I avoid the cutting and fitting of the mesh around the tanks and pipes to keep it tight to the floor.
I've made some more progress, but it's slow.
Here I have everything from the front to the first tank.
Here is a close up of the slideout
Instead of working the mesh around the steps I unbolted them and removed them entirely, applied the mesh them bolted them back on. It was any where near as big a pain in the a$$ as I had thought.
I'm about to tackle the first tank. But don't know if I'm definitely going to just enclose the whole thing or just put mesh where there is access to the soft underbelly.
It's been a while since I updated this. But it's all done now. The entire bottom is covered in 1/4" mesh. I decided to put the mesh around the tanks instead of under them. I also went back and filled any gaps with stainless steel wool. Should be all set.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was hoping to get an update from the OP. How has the 1/4" hardware cloth held up? Any problems with mice? I'd love to hear how this has worked out now that it has been through a couple winters!
Really well. No mice (knock on wood). I've been in several times looking for tell tale signs and have found nothing.
I'm calling this one a win.
I did have a bunch of ants though (black 1/4" long). Some Ortho Home Defense took care of it handily. Now, about once a month in the warmer months I apply it liberally under the camper where things touch the ground and around the perimeter inside and inside cabinets, etc.
I haven't seen a single ant since.
Thanks for the update!
I think I am going to do this on my new pup.
If the bottom is plastic like mine, it's worth it. If it's just marine OSB you're better off stuffing holes with Stainless steel wool.
Pro tip: Wear leather gloves when you're putting that SS wool in. It's like tiny razor wire.