Mouse proofing your pop up

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by husky390, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Viking From ME

Viking From ME New Member

Two winters ago, we did nothing as I had in the past with no issues, that Spring we opened up to several large holes in screens and a few in the canvas. With mouse droppings and urine everywhere [:(!]...Last winter we did it all, thought we sealed all openings with foam spary, gaskets between roof and sidewalls, taped and screened furnace, fridge openings- Bounce sheets, entire box strewn throughout, Irish Spring soap throughout and outside as well..dog liked it...I also through in a couple of boxes of D-Con for good measure. This spring opened up to chewed curtains, cushions and bedcovers. Had to invest in new mattresses, wife too grossed out to sleep on them again, new curtains and again had to clean away stains with Instagone- great product by the way. In my opinion the only thing that worked was the D-Con, found the carcasses stuck to curtains this spring. Next Fall I will remove all mattresses, cushions, curtains etc and load up on D-Con, hopefully next Spring I won't still smell the mothballs....Good luck.

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Sorry for your mouse problems - that has to have sucked two years in a row!!

One caution with the D-Con - I think all of their baits have an attractant element in them and the mice will smell it and get into the camper in an effort to feed. I would look at outdoor traps, or have the bait close, but not in the camper.

Good Luck!

3. Viking From ME

Viking From ME New Member

May resort to emptying my "Flask" around camper as suggested by earlier poster...

4. happycamperkzoo

happycamperkzoo New Member

I always thought that Dcon made the little vermin thirsty so they leave to look for water (and then die outside).

5. BiXLL

BiXLL Chippewa Twp., Pa.

contact Rusty, he does a great job!

6. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

All I know is that at a rally last year I did the guy thing for Bixll on his new camper and he had no mice.

7. countrygirl7784

countrygirl7784 New Member

well I live in Ontario Canada and with a couple nice big fields behind my house, I was positive the mice would feast on my camper over the winter as it had to sit outside coverd with a tarp. I researched all over and everyone told me to put bounce drier sheets in it. Well not to skimp, I put a box of 100 bounce drier sheets in every nook and cranny and even between the folds of the canvas when I closed it up for the winter. Opened up the camper this spring and not only did I have the nicest smelling camper around, there was not a spec of mouse dirt or a bit of damage to the camper, I will definitely be doing the bounce drier sheets again this fall. Good luck!

8. danshere

danshere New Member

I wish it had worked for me!

I spread two boxes of Bounce sheets throughout the camper and used two boxes of Altoids in every place I could think of, I had been told they were a good source of peppermint oil. In the spring I found the nicest big nest right on top of the back bunk and the majority of the nest was made up of drier sheets! They had chewed a 6" hole through the outside tent material to get there. There also was no sign of any of the Altoids anywhere, must have made a nice meal for the little buggers.

Think I will try the "man thing" next year. :)

9. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

Before I closed it up for the winter, I did the Bounce drier sheet thing. I also gathered up my 3 cats and let them hang out in the pup. They slept on the bunks for a few hours before I closed up. They are outdoor cats so they "patrolled" the grounds all winter. I am convinced they did the trick for me.

10. JoeCamper

JoeCamper Eastern, Pennsylvania

we camp from March thru December. About two years ago between the Nov and Dec trip, we got mice... 2 rolls of paper towels, 1 roll of toilet paper, 1 box of tissues and 2 curtains.

We put brass wool arounf the holes in the floor, bounce dryer sheets on the beds, dinette and sofa betwwen trips.
    I add D-Con poison and sticky pads over the winter. I killed mice but never had damage since.

11. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

The outdoor cats belonging to the "Crazy Cat Lady" have kept all mice and vermin away from my camper, so I'd suggest adopting a few feral cats. After we socialized the cats, we had them spayed and neutered, and we haven't seen vermin since.

Oh, the Crazy Cat Lady is my 19 year daughter. She wouldn't let us get rid of the feral cats when she was younger, so we decided to make the best of it by making them into pets.

12. star78

star78 New Member

I agree with Ballard and Hacksaw. The best way is to remove anything that they can chew, I.E the cushions and the canvas. When I bought my canvas new it only took 1 hr to install .At $850..00 I'll keep reinstalling it From different posts, Nothing is 100%. Re and Re is. If you take away the food and the nesting material, they won't stay. What are the going to eat?The floors.lol

13. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

When I brought the new pup home (previous - '99 Starcraft), went through every nook & cranny, crack & crevice, and incoming gas & electric line and re-sealed it. Those mice can get into a very small opening and I suspect where they would come in would be where the roof meets the base of the camper. There's a weather strip there on the both Starcrafts and I should think if it's not seated properly that's where they'll find a slot. I also did the dryer sheet thing. But those rodents did make a nest in the spare tire and L/P tank covers and so I took them off. Since that time, too, now have another cat who is extremely fond of mice!

14. Taxus812

Taxus812 Member

I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like they are getting in mostly around the roof seams. Is there anything you can put along that seam when stored ?

15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I've used spray foam in our house to close up some draft spots in the basement and those little mice ate right thru the foam! The stuff killed them, but once the whole was made others got in thru it. Ended up pumping silicon right into the hole to fill it up and they never did get thru that stuff!

16. TKnecht

TKnecht "Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most peo

We use the dryer sheet method, and it works well. Dryer sheets in the doors and drawers, under the mattresses, in the nooks and crannies. Better too many than too few.

You will want to open up and air out for a few days, before your first trip, though....

17. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Actually Dcon contains warfarin and this causes them to bleed. When they cut themselves or bruise when they run into something they bleed and it takes longer to clot. Thus, because they don't have a large volume of blood, it doesn't take long for them to hemorrhage.

How do I know this? Warfarin is the generic name for coumadin and I take 7.5mg of the rat poison daily. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

18. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Mr. Bill ... that's something not to own up to ... people might talk! (LOL)

19. Vinchenzzi

Vinchenzzi New Member

I am not sure who mentioned it but the last thing you want to put in cracks and holes is spray foam. For 1 its great bedding material for them and I have personally watched them burrow a hole right threw it. I have always used steel wool or brass wool because it doesnt rust but is more expensive then steel wool. I am a new pup owner as well , I like the idea of the 2 buddies going over the entire camper and the dryer sheets. Probably smells good in the spring when u open her up

20. UpNorth-John

UpNorth-John Member

I actually got my pup because of a mouse attack - big one (previous owner took one look and decided "that was it - camper's gone"). We had one mouse infestation in our boat (small sportcruiser) while it was in storage (next to a bean field, of all things). So I went back to my grandmother's method - moth balls. I get the cheapest ones I can find - they seem to smell stronger. About 1 pound seems to do it in the camper. To help with the moisture I put 1 desiccant pack (I get them from the marine store - I'm sure the camping places have them) and one of those airwick/renuzit air freshener things (nonelectric) just for the musty smell. I have to leave it opened up for a few day in the spring (after removing the moth balls) to get the smell out. I've also gone to pulling all of the cushions out (less smell - more air circulation - less chance of damage), but I leave the canvas in place. I haven't had a rodent problem in over ten years. BTW, the dryer sheets are a great way to keep spiders away in warm weather (I use them all over the boat where spiders are a major problem).