Mousquiton state park

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by ill.plainsman, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

we are headed out again this weekend. going to try the Mouquouton state park by Clinton. we have not been there this year. will try the other end. we usually stay in the end by the ramp. will try the pheasant ridge camp area. not sure if there will be a site on that end but I have got to try something new. [CP]

2. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Sounds like fun!!

3. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

You must like the heat better than I do, its gonna be a hot one this weekend. Still sound like fun, we going to Weldon Springs on Labor, and it will be hotter still. Can't wait to hear about you time at Mascoutin, we haven't made it there this year.

4. ill.plainsman

wow was it nice.it wasn't to bad with a fan running to keep a little air moving.
    we had a problem with pushy tent campers. if you rent a site like #10 don't put your tent on the back side of it {actually site #9}our site. these sites are not that big. that's what happened to us last weekend. fortunately I have the patience of Jobe. we took no action but it felt like I had our kids visiting us all weekend. and just when I didn't think it could get any worse they had more people show up with another tent. I wasn't to happy. I guess they wanted a tent set under the trees. even though they didn't get back from boating till after dark. we got them back a little, we had my son come out for dinner Saturday evening with his family. and they played corn hole till quiet time, all 5 of them. and my son is not the quietest nor are his kids. we had a great time though. and our neighbors left early Sunday morning.

5. Yooperwannabe

Did you have a view of the lake?

6. ill.plainsman

no not this time. we were on A9. one of the long straight runs of sites.

7. Yooperwannabe

I am glad you managed to have fun, even with the rude neighbors. I am sure the loud games of corn hole were great fun for you and a civil form of payback for the neighbors. LOL.

8. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

They should change the name. Who would want to camp anywhere that sounds so much like Mosquito State Park? [:O]

9. ill.plainsman

moscoutin I think is the proper spelling but yes they couldn't think of anything better. maybe because they have an unlimited hp limit on outboards and boats on the lake. and that makes for a very noisy camp ground [}:)] just like mosquitos make. [:(]

10. Yooperwannabe

The park takes its name from a Native American Tribe. I copied this from Wikipedia:

Extinct as a tribe

The Mascouten (also Mascoutin, Mathkoutench, or Musketoon) were a tribe of Algonquian-speaking native Americans who are believed to have dwelt on both sides of the Mississippi River adjacent to the present-day Wisconsin-Illinois border after being driven out of Michigan.

They are first mentioned in historic records by French missionaries, who described the people as inhabiting the southern area of present-day Michigan. In 1712, the Mascouten united with the Kickapoo and the Fox, after almost being exterminated by the French and the Potawatomi.

Survivors migrated westward. The Mascouten are last referred to as a band in historic records in 1779, when they were living on the Wabash River (in present-day Indiana) with the Piankashaw and the Kickapoo. The surviving Mascouten are noted in United States records of 1813 and 1825 as being part of the Kickapoo Prairie Band.

Their name apparently comes from a Fox word meaning "Little Prairie People". Historians do not know what they called themselves (autonym).[1]

11. ill.plainsman

SORRY yooperwannabe just kidding around. though I can't be far off cause it is noisy over there. and it SOUNDS like mosquito. [;)] [LOL] [LOL] . no disrespect intended.

12. Yooperwannabe

No need to apologize, it took me years to say it correctly. I just wanted to share the information. LOL! You are very correct, it is a noisy lake, when all the motor craft are out. I much prefer Weldon Springs because the lake/pond is much quieter. We have camped at Mascoutin several times, and prefer the lake view site, thinking that if I have to hear the boats, I want to see them as well. Ha ha. Can't wait for the Fall Rally to sit and talk with you and your wife.

13. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

We just stayed there for the first time a couple of weekends ago. We were in loop H and enjoyed that very much. would have preferred the water view site, but looks like there really is only one during the year when the leave are on the trees :) The boat noise doesn't bother us too much because we stay at Coralville Lake CG in Iowa City so we are used to the noise. We loved our site on H loop and meet several great people around us that weekend. No pup owners though. The wife and I both really enjoyed the park and feel it will probably be our new local favorite. And we loved eating at the Boondocks.

This campground would also be a good place to have a rally IMO. Lots of loops that would be very good places to have a rally.

14. ill.plainsman

I would agree it could be a nice place for a rally. they only allow certain sites for reserving. not sure which ones. Isn't "H loop" in the south end along with "J" & "K". those are our favorites when we are out there. this last weekend we wanted to try something different. those 3 are the ones that do not allow alcohol I believe. [A] we don't mind the noise either.
    there were a lot of pop ups last weekend. we counted 3 on our loop "A" and saw a couple more on "b or c" loop.

15. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Yes, H is over in that southwest side. It was an alcohol free loop. I would imagine after it starts to get colder and less people are boating the CG is a little quieter.

The only thing that was a problem on this trip was the noise behind us the first night. There was a line of trees that separated our side of the loop from the other side, and thank goodness for that. There was a group of people that had three sites together, all tent camping, and had about 25 kids with them. They were so noisy until at least 2am. I was going to say something to the host the next day but didn't get around to it, but on Saturday night they were much quieter after 10, hardly heard them, so I am thinking the others on that side might have said something. Every time we went on a bike ride with our son or walked around the loop, they were all playing games in the road as if they owned it and they were put out by having to stop so we could come through. And when they had to drive up to the shower or go somewhere instead of going the proper way or long way around the loop, they just went up the wrong way out. Just kind of disrespectful and was evident they really didn't care about rules or anyone else around them, so I was sure glad we were not on their side.

16. ill.plainsman

I THOUGHT SO THAT FIRST LOOP IS OUR FAVORITE, oops. yea , it was like the weekend from one of Chevy Chase's movies animal house or family vacation. here I'll just camp right here [}:)] and the wild kids can just roam from here. [:)C] some people who don't camp very much sure have some weird ideas. [:(O]

17. Yooperwannabe

I agree that it would be a great place for a rally. Maybe we could plan a last minute get together there this year. Perhaps a "Squeeze One More In" Rally. Lol. Even if there were only a few of us. No need to be official.

18. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

With a name like Mosquiton... I wondered if there are lots of mosquitos there?

19. ill.plainsman

I AM UP FOR THAT. when ? who else likes mascoutin? it is a good area. if you want a long hike it is a long 3/4 mile or more from the front gates to the southern most camp ground. they now have a gravel path the entire way. in fact you can get all the way to Boondocks , the restaurant next to the boat ramp over a mile.
    September doesn't have any camping days on it yet, at least on my calendar. who's open for a weekend?
    sorry ken not really

20. Yooperwannabe

I am in on Sept at Mascoutin, hoping for cooler weather toward the middle or end of month. Who else? Explorco?