moving a set up PUP?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Phil Waltz, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Phil Waltz

Phil Waltz New Member

Hello PUPers! We have about the smallest version of a 2017 Flagstaff PuP, though is the 12 ft box so there is a smaller one. I’ve wondered how much trouble (or not) might cause trying to move it set up, yes, without cranking it all down. I sure wouldn’t go far or across any rough roads. Just wondering if feasible without causing too much headache to leave PUP set up for instance for having to relocate to an almost adjacent site in a more developed campground? I’ve tried looking on Flagstaff website without finding any info. Wondering if any of you super helpful PUPers might have good knowledge to share either way? TIA!!!

2. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

gah... i would be scared to do that. my last trip was at a site that had an issue with shore power. i thought i would have to move and was very upset at the prospect - even to a site next door. luckily i sorted out the issue - but i would have to have had to move my raised and set-up pup anywhere at all.

i will say that if i *had* to move then i would have, obviously, but i probably would have thrown a bunch of stuff in bins and taken the door out and lowered the pup a few inches to reduce tension.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Phil Waltz likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I might in an absolute emergency, but I would be terrified to move it further than a few sites away and will be crawling.

Phil Waltz likes this.
  4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. The act of moving it could put additional stress on the lift system. In an absolute emergency I would consider it to get to an adjacent site, but if there was time to drop it I would do that instead.

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I can't hitch up with the front bed out. Also I wouldn't do it. :)

Phil Waltz, Fiona and kitphantom like this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I would record it and post the video footage here!

7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I did it once. I left the bunk ends set up and lowered the roof about 3/4. Moved it a 1/4 mile down a dirt road very slowly.

Phil Waltz and wusthof like this.
  8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Don't be lazy, push the beds in and lower the roof. How much time will that really take?

rescamilla, Fiona and Indiobravo like this.
  9. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

To me the risks of an unintended bump to a delicate and exposed portion of an open PUP outweigh the time saving benefit. If the corner of a bunkend gets tweeked accidentally in the process, your time savings are lost tenfold.

Phil Waltz, rescamilla and Fiona like this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

The very first time we had the pup out when I first bought it, we were put in a site that had flooded and was 90% mud, including right in front of the door. After the weekend we were going to stay another couple nights and got permission to move to the adjacent campsite. It didn't seem like it was worth completely tearing down and re setting up, so I cranked it about halfway down and moved it. It went fine, but now I shudder thinking about it, as we had to put the bed end in and I probably could have torn the canvas since it was only partially up when I did that.

Phil Waltz and rescamilla like this.
  11. noraa

noraa New Member

It's possible but I wouldn't recommend it. We had a broken whiffletree on our Coleman last summer and I had to move it off the campground while it was still fully cranked up. The noises it made while crawling along the path were beyond this world but the crank system was busted anyway so I wasn't too worried about more damage. Everything still worked fine after replacing the whiffletree despite the short trip while fully cranked up.

12. UpNorth-John

UpNorth-John Member

I've done it, but only to another site in the same campground. My pup has external lift poles (that were locked), so there was minimal risk. I did push in both bed wings to minimize the risk of torn canvas if the top folded/collapsed. I wouldn't recommend taking it on the road. Too much risk of damage not to to mention a possible traffic ticket (?).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Phil Waltz likes this.
  13. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Welcome to the portal. You don't say which model Flagstaff you have. Their smallest is a hard side A-frame. If that's what you have, moving it around your yard or within a campground while it's up is no problem. We have done both with our Aliner. Since you said "without cranking it all down" I suspect you have one of their tent trailers. I wouldn't move it while it was fully cranked up.

14. p

p Active Member

My wife sometimes picks sites that require movement later. There is no easy way to move a popup as in order to attach to the hitch, you have to slide it back together. Since you need to slide it back together, that means the "stuff" inside needs to put away. It is a domino affect of chores.

15. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

don't

16. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I did it once at the beach in Delaware when we had to move sites mid week. I pushed the front bunk in so I could hook up and I drove very slowly to the new site in the next row over. No speed bumps or bumps of any sort...just smooth pavement. Backing into the new site was interesting, but it all worked out. Not something I'd recommend or want to do again, but it can be done if you have a smooth and level surface to drive on.

Phil Waltz likes this.
  17. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Only you can make the decision if the risk is worth the reward. I learned the hard way that sometimes being "efficient" which my DW later called lazy can cause more work. I just needed to move my TT a couple hundred yards to dump tanks during a week long stay. Why bother with the weight distributing bars? My ball shifted and after I unhooked I realized it was unsafe to use that way and despite two wrenches and several guys, we couldn't put the ball back correctly again. It was a nice couple hour round trip into town to find a mechanic who fixed it. Now two years later every time we are leaving I hear "are the bars on?" e v e r y t i m e.

I do love her. lol

Phil Waltz likes this.
  18. mcgillclan4

mcgillclan4 Member

Hmmm, not sure I’d do it hitched up unless very short ways and very smooth. We’ve done it once by hand just a couple sites over. Smooth concrete. We wouldn’t be able push it by hand if it wasn’t paved. why do they make those front little plastic wheels like that? Ha! But ours is smaller than yours and even then if it was uphill even a little and wasn’t level it would have been too hard to push.

Phil Waltz likes this.