Moving battery to the rear

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Drvred, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Drvred

Drvred Member

I currently have a 20 lb propane bottle, and a group 24 battery on the tongue of my pop up.
    I would like to go to a 30 lb cylinder, and a group 29 or 31, but it will be too much tongue weight.
    Would it be safe to move the battery to the rear bumper? I have read that you shouldn't put a bike rack on the rear bumper because of bouncing, but the battery shouldn't bounce..

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The issue isn't bouncing. Its sway caused by taking too much weight off the tongue. You want somewhere between 12 to 15% total weight on the tongue to prevent sway

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

As the propane is used, your tongue weight will be less and less until refilled. The battery on the back bumper will take a lot more jarring and shaking than on the tongue.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  4. Drvred

Drvred Member

So any suggestions then? The group 24 battery is marginal now, and I don't think it would last 3 days, especially if I use the furnace.
    I tow with a Ford Escape, and it squats some now.

5. Econ

Econ Active Member

It's nice to see someone quote engineering science in a tongue weight discussion. <<GG>> I survived a misloaded trailer incident. Ain't going there again <GG>

Here's what I plan to do when moving my batteries to the rear. Pack the camper as "normal" for traveling. Weigh the entire camper. Add bike racks and other occasional stuff if you don't take every time to the rear. Add water to the tank if that's your style. Replace my 20 pound propane tanks with a 16.6 pound weight each to simulate empty propane tanks. Take the battery off the tongue. Weigh the tongue. There are plenty of how to's on Youtube

The intent is to make the camper as tail heavy as it will ever get and weigh the tongue to see if it is between 10 and 15%. ( there are arguments about if 10 or 12% is the minimum. My target is 12% in the end). Then move the battery around and see how it effects the tongue weight and where I can put the battery safely.

Use drinking water containers to fine tune the weight if it turns out tail heavy.( below 12%)

Edited to clarify the above is my situation not his.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The weight of the 30lb bottle versa a 20 will not offset the battery weight. Why a 30lb bottle?

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Storing the battery or cylinder in the trailer for transit is an option.

Econ likes this.
  8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Don't forget most popup bumpers are not designed to take much weight.

gladecreekwy and kitphantom like this.
  9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

you might add your pop-up type to your profile.

Personally, I would not move battery a (heavy) flooded battery to the to rear bumper - my rear batteries are inside the Aliner - and that's enough-already jouncing to deal with (lost one battery due to a screw head puncturing an end cell).

I laud your care and attention to weight and CG :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Take an extra propane bottle with you?

11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Just refill your regular 20 lb propane bottle as needed and get a group 31, which doesn't weight that much more than a 24 (13 or 14 lbs difference). The 20 lb propane bottle is ubiquitous, not sure why you would change unless you have highly unusual needs.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree with the above to weigh your camper now before you make changes fully loaded to see where you stand. Even 40 pounds weight difference can cause your camper to sway if your already on the low end. For every camper there is going to be their happy medium. My camper really has to be tongue heavy some some others can handle more weight adjustment. I personally carry a second tank if I need it in the colder months and in the summer months leave it at home as the one tank is more than enough. I bought a slightly larger battery that can fit and solar panel to make up for not being able to fit a larger battery on my tongue. To each their own, but I've had my camper sway and it can be a very scary situation so I now am more mindful about taking weight off my tongue. You probably won't have a problem, but it could very possibly be a problem and not something yo want to find out going 65 down the highway. Good luck.

13. Econ

Econ Active Member

Agree, still having problems controling my bowels 25 years later <GGG>