Moving by hand / trailer jack wheel

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Spaceace5150, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

I have a driveway that is difficult to push the pop-up with the hard plastic wheel on the trailer jack. Has anyone seen any inflatable or rubber wheels that could be used for this? My driveway has some unlevel areas and its hard to push.

It can be hard to turn the wheel to change directions and to go over cracks and bumps.

Just wondering what others are doing? I searched for some threads on this but didn't see anything too recent.

Thanks!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Some get a trailer dolly. Other replace the wheels on the jack. Up to you.

Blackripley likes this.
  3. Spaceace5150

I’m having trouble finding a better wheel for the jack. Any ideas on where to find one?

4. arge

arge Active Member

I would say go for a dolly. I don't know about others, but I found quite difficult to push the trailer over the slightest obstacle and this using a trailer valet. If the driveway is also a bit incline, just a little bit, you don't need too much, it will be very-very difficult. The dolly may be the best help (I used one) and I suggest you to go for the most rated one, ignore they say 600# tongue weight while your trailer may be only 300#, go for the 600# or more. I bent one...

Spaceace5150 and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I never did it so im not sure of the best one. The dollys look good , how heavy is the camper?

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Well, TWO plastic wheels might make it a bit easier. There are a LOT of jack assemblies on etrailer.com with dual wheels. I also found this assembly that should allow you to replace your single wheel with two wheels. Dunno if it will help. I always felt the jack wheel was more of a fashion statement than functional equipment.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-6-Du...HRBbmqi_zIKZTD6YcqosGPzGU2cf43XoaAoyWEALw_wcB

BillyMc and Spaceace5150 like this.
  7. Spaceace5150

I have a very light one.. Rockwood 1640. I am under 2,000 pounds loaded.

8. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

gardenheather and firepit like this.
  9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

take a standard 6" wheel unit (+/-) , remove it, remove the bolt, discard bolt and wheel, buy two 6" wheels with ball bearing hubs, put new 1/2 long bolt (long enough) and 1/2" self locking nut - put bolt thru one wheel, thru the wheel housing, add 2nd wheel outboard, add nut, reinstall - its now MUCH easier to move around than before. The standard wheel is crap - the axle is not even smooth inside the wheel bearing area - one end is all-thread !!

Attached Files:

RGB057 and gardenheather like this.
  10. Anthony Hitchings

BTW - if you need to - take a heavy large screwdriver (or similar) in the center of the housing to force the jack wheel to turn where you want it to go as or before you start pushing.

11. Spaceace5150

thanks for the idea! Where did you find your wheel?

12. Spaceace5150

Wilkywoods likes this.
  13. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

[LOL][LOL]...how much do you weigh when your not drinking...sorry dude, that cracked me up when I read that [CB]

14. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I have that trailer dolly for my 4x8 utility trailer and my john boat trailer, I would never have used it for my pup. But, my pup was 3700 lbs empty so maybe it'd work for yours at 2k. It'd be tough though. Mine is way easier to pull than to push just because of the dolly wanting to turn with that long handle. I wouldn't want to be down slope of my trailer with no way to stop it from rolling if needed. I'd hate to get run over by my own [PUC]

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  15. Anthony Hitchings

search for this on Amazon

RWM Casters DUR-0620-08 6" Diameter X 2" Width Durastan Phenolic Wheel with Straight Roller Bearing, 1200 lbs Capacity, 1/2" Axle Diameter

Spaceace5150 likes this.
  16. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

We have a generic Mini-Mover for getting our trailer in and out of the garage
    [​IMG]
    Just because it is tight and hard to maneuver into place.

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

I must be missing something here and sorry for that. My driveway is like most and inclined. I use my TV to push the camper in place where I need it to be, whether on a side or inside the garage. Agree, it could be bit of a hassle to hook up the camper with the TV, but it gets the job done for me quite easily.

Keating and BillyMc like this.
  18. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I have a Parkit360 L powered trailer mover. Way overkill for your trailer but this was a life changer when I bought it for getting my TT beside my house. My trailer is 8’ wide and the space beside my house is 8’6” wide...I used it to move my neighbour’s Starcraft Centennial in and out of his garage too. Mine is a earlier model than the current Version.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  19. Spaceace5150

Ha! Didn’t catch that!

Rik Peery likes this.
  20. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I looked at getting one of those a few years ago. I should have done it back then since the prices on them have shot way up. I really don't need it anymore since my htt doesn't fit into my backyard like the pup did.

Does that mini mover work well for you? I'm assuming you're on pavement only with it.