Moving by hand / trailer jack wheel

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Spaceace5150, Jul 24, 2020.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Just wondering what is the difficulty you are having with your driveway?

2. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

It does! We only use it at home. We only need it for the last 18 feet or so to get it into the garage. The tiller steering and being able to see as I go makes things much easier. Our driveway has an incline so no stopping to check when pushing by hand. It helps in bringing the trailer out to the hitch.

Not trying to get myself into too much trouble [:D]. My wife and I have been together for DECADES, and we can not manage to carry an empty box together, so pushing a trailer into a space that it barley fits into is a huge challenge.

Steveo4090 likes this.
  3. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Awesome. I always wondered if they actually worked or not. Thanks.

4. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

I have an older house and the concrete driveway is in sections. Some are now higher or lower so I have trouble getting the wheel up to a higher level. Will be easier when I get a new driveway.

Also, it takes some maneuvering and it’s hard to turn the standard wheel on the jack.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

But as far as backing the camper in using the tow vehicle, what’s the issue?

6. Spaceace5150

No issue when using the tow vehicle. I have a tight spot to put the pop up that requires moving by hand.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have something similiar at my house. I can usually back it up into the spot on the side of the house, although it frequently takes a couple tries. Alleyway in the back, have to deal with neighbors fence and my garden shed that is in the driveway. I can only really come from one direction, and then it is dependent on my neighbors not having their truck parked in the driveway. Since they had a kid they now often take the SUV on their weekend trips, leaving the truck. This makes it harder to drop the trailer when I get back. Due to the slope and the weight of my pup pushing by hand is not an option.

If I can save up enough a powered trailer valet type unit is definitely in my future. If we eventually make the jump to a TT/hybrid it will be required. The garden shed will have to come down in order to park the trailer, and the valet will be needed in order to get it slotted in due to clearance issues with fencing in the alley.

8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

all this talk of backing up - reminds me - that next time I stuff ALiner in our too-narrow driveway I need to try using the front hitch on my Jeep. I will be able to see all the Aliner and both sides of the gate opening.

Blackripley likes this.
  9. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Before we got the Mini-Mover I was looking around for a used powered trailer valet. I had my eye on a couple in the $300 price range. You can find them they're out there used in good working order so if you are thinking about getting one keep an eye out for a used one. Also, there is a how to build your own on youtube.
    DIY Motorized Trailer Dolly / Trailer Mule

Not me but this is the same unit I have. I did modify it by taking off their jack and making so use it on the stock tongue jack this way I can swap it for the normal wheel or a foot at the campsites.
    EasyMove tool to easily move your caravan or boat

10. Luis Perez

Luis Perez New Member

Where can I buy a trailer dolly?

11. Spaceace5150

Blackripley likes this.
  12. madster

madster New Member

Try lubricating the joint where the wheel rotates to change directions. It made a huge difference on ours, went from kicking the wheel to set the direction to it spinning around wherever like it's supposed to.

Edit: fixed quoting

13. Spaceace5150

That is a great suggestion, thanks!

14. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

you may, in some cases, also need to tighten the nut on the center swivel bolt just enough to take the tilt out of the wheel carrier (or whatever the U shaped thing is called)

15. arge

arge Active Member

As I said before, if someone decides for a trailer dolly, I will suggest to go for the highest rated one. No doubt the smaller ones may work in certain circumstances, but once you need to go over a 1/2" obstacle, grass, gravel or to do very tight turns, the smaller ones will show their limits. Regarding the above quoted post, I would say, a small dolly, rated at 300-400# , the tires will give up on you when you need to do very tight turns. There are foam tires, no doubt, but I guess there are tires and tires. I seen the bulge forming on the side of the tire when I tried a 90 degree turn. I was so afraid I will loose the tire and the trailer will come over me.

If you intend to move the trailer just in the garage or a flat pad etc, straight moves, just arrange a bit on position, a light duty dolly may work.

16. vin_bom

vin_bom New Member

17. Brian K

Brian K New Member

I mounted a winch on the floor of my garage. Search you tube for directions. Bought a 1500-pound winch from Harbor freight.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...apacity-120-volt-ac-electric-winch-61672.html
    It works great to slowly pull the Viking into the garage. The winch is rated for 1500 lbs, but it can pull MUCH more weight if it is rolling weight on a slight slope. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-electric-winch.aspx this chart from Etrailer explains that a 1500 lb winch will pull 7,538 lbs over a 10% grade.

arge likes this.
  18. Thorofin

Thorofin New Member

19. dickparkans

dickparkans New Member

upload_2020-7-29_12-32-35.png I bought one of these used. The best investment I have made in a while. I don't hand crank it. I use my battery operated drill and yes, my drivewar has a slope.

Blackripley likes this.
  20. arge

arge Active Member

I have one of this too, but man... it scares me sometimes. I had a bit of slope, I am moving the trailer about 20ft. 5-7ft on grass (I put 1/2 plywood under to get a bit of traction) and always I have the feeling that is going to give up on me and slide under the tongue. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I can say this is not very stable on inclines.
    Last time I had the wheels going under the tongue to the point where hitting the jack plate. I may do something wrong, maybe it needs to be tied better, not sure... I watch so many clips over and over. I tried the washer thing flipped on both sides.
    Otherwise, on concrete flat surface is moving so great, I didn't even try the drill thingie, I am fine cranking by the hand. It is a joy to deal with on flat concrete.