Moving on to an RPod

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Lbjpiano, May 31, 2019.

1. Lbjpiano

Lbjpiano New Member

We loved our pop-up but 50 mph wind gusts on our last camping trip pushed us over the edge.

We picked up our RPod 190 a few days ago. Excited but also will miss all the room we had in our Starcraft Comet 1020.

Thanks for posting all the great info on this site. We learned a lot and enjoyed seeing all the mods people posted.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I was seriously looking at an RPod 176 but decided I didn't want to push my vehicle when I go on the mountain roads I travel on. Funny thing is, my parents who said they were done camping are now thinking of downgrading to the RPod 195 after they saw the floor plan in the pamphlet I had.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Welcome to the dark side! Congratulations on the new camper!

4. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

We like the rpod layouts. We were kinda considering one but after reading so many reviews of poor quality we said no way! Forrest river makes cheap campers that seem to have more QC problems than others. On that note... we also looked at jayco hummingbirds which we didnt like the layouts (or price) as much as the rpods... and reviews of the hummingbirds were not much better than the rpods.
    I think the problem lies in the fact that every RV uses a flat panel roof joined at corners to walls. They all leak. Rpod roof warranty is 90 days!

5. jmkay1

. Personally I think the problem lies where all RV companies build these too units way too cheaply with little to no quality control. Back in the day you could find some quality, not any more. They don't care about their product once it leaves their door. I can find fault in every single unit I looked in. The RV industry is not like the car industry.

xxxapache, Toedtoes, WrkrBee and 3 others like this.
  6. Milemaker13

We happened to stop and look at hummingbirds and a few others like jay flight. Not impressed. I mean new is nice, no doubt, but for the cost ($18k+) they just arnt that nice or roomy or towable or anything.
    We would love to find a pop up super store type dealer so we could see all the new pop ups in one place. Do rv shows tend to bring alot of pups?

7. jmkay1

. Sadly the answer is no for this. You may find a few at the very large shows but most of the time it's only mid to large RV in my experience.

8. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

yep - in my experience as well. Additionally - the number of popup manufacturers seems to be dwindling, so there are limited choices there as well.

9. Milemaker13

Thats crummy cuz we're left thinking that a nicer pup w/ cassette shower/potty and other nice things would be the way to go. Pups are better because they're small and short while towing and the slide out tent ends create space whereas a fixed height the beds are using floor space.

10. jmkay1

I agree. When I was looking to upgrade after my old bare bones popup died. I put all the pros and cons in a list for TT, hybrid, And popup. I looked at all aspects, my wants, my campground types. I Liked some of the bigger units
    I looked at, but I just couldn't look past the ease of towability, the fact I didn't have to upgrade my tow vehicle, and the openness you can find in a popup. So I upgraded to another popup but bigger with a slide out more bells and whistles than my old pup and I don't regret it one bit. It just took a bit of patience to find the unit I wanted. Even though I did not want new I visited a many RV centers to really get to know the floor plans. After about 3 years being discouraged by the used junk being sold I found the unit with the floor plan I liked.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  11. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I am going ask one question. Hey mile maker do you work for Snap On. You should cuz buddy you are a Tool. Bad rapping someones new purchase. How ignorant or maybe just jealous.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  12. Milemaker13

Point taken. That wasnt my intention. I apologize for that. And yes, perhaps a little jealous and definitely a little ignorant. The rpod is a nice camper at a good price point. Every thing needs proper maintenance to avoid problems. Hijacking this thread was not the appropriate place to aire my insecurities. Again, I apologize for being a tool.

DigitalGuru and Ladiesman like this.
  13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Now now, everyone is entitled to their own opinion [:)C] Forest River does have quality control issues... but so do the vast majority of manufacturers.... perhaps now is a good time to remind people, Forest River and Thor Industries own damn near every brand commonly seen on the road or in campgrounds. You find a camper you like and hope for the best! I personally am in a FR product that I am happy with, and I hope the OP will have a positive camping experience as well!

Rik Peery and Ladiesman like this.
  14. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I've admired R Pods and wanted one for a long while. Now there are a few more used on the market, which there didn't used to be. Also hummingbirds, winnie drops and satellites. But I just happened upon something that was a good compromise of what I could afford and could tow without a new vehicle. I once read that all trailers are subject to what is equivalent to a constant minor earthquake with being towed down the road. And we expect them to be light, etc. It is really the owner's responsibility to scrupulously inspect and maintain their campers. The fridge, stove, etc, are pretty much the same in all brands of campers. Some are trouble free, some are not. As I've also heard, maybe the dealer is more important than the brand.

All I really needed was a bed where I didn't have to climb over my DH. Unfortunately, not many offer that arrangement. So 21' and 3071# starcraft AR one seemed best. Is it everything I want? not really. I'd like a slide and a murphy bed. I'd like a new Tow vehicle even though my 4runner tows with ease. And what it comes down to is camping.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Very happy with the quality of our new Jayco 174 bh Baja. Very light at under 4000 lbs for a 19’. The smaller version, the 154 is a really nice small TT. The dealer is very important but ours is 400 miles away and you must be willing to take care of small issues yourself. Two year warranty is nice as well

nineoaks2004 and neighbormike like this.
  16. penny

penny Well-Known Member

And, Lbjpiano, congratulations on your new camper!

17. Milemaker13

How do you like the r-pod so far? I have to imagine you had it out several times already :)

18. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

House of Camping is your largest Forest River Pop Up dealer in the nation. They would have the most stock to look at and are off of Harlem in Bridgeview. They sell Rockwood Pop Ups.

Since Forest River is really the only maker of Pop Ups left, not many other options. Forest River makes Coachmen Clipper, Viking, Flagstaff, and Rockwood Pop Up Campers. Aliner makes Somerset Pop Ups but there's only a few floorplans and not many dealers to even make them a consideration for me.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  19. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

A lot of the small issues (and there is always some) are better fixed at home by the owner, that way there is no long wait for the dealer to do his job, also you know the problem was repaired correctly (my opinion of course)

penny, myride, Raycfe and 2 others like this.