Moving to The Dark Side

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by CGChief, Nov 18, 2018.

1. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

I have just received orders from my Commanding Officer (The Wife - a.k.a. The Admiral),
    We are going to be selling our new popup and getting a travel trailer. Unfortunately we will take a loss on the popup, but she is good with that as long as the loss isn't too severe.

Now it's time to decide what we want, can afford and that my Titan won't mind pulling.

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Just looking at the basic numbers, the Titan has around 9,000# towing, so unless you're looking for a 32 footer or something, I think you have a wide range of TTs to look at the Titan can easily handle. Of course, insert the standard, and obvious, comment about empty weight, yadda yadda, but the Titan's got this.

All I'd recommend is the closer you draw to your max weight with the rig, the better your weight distribution hitch should be. My lesson learned is that the entry level WDH can't compete with the higher end hitches. So, spend a little extra and upgrade your hitch and you won't be sorry, especially when the wind picks up. Spending $500 more on a WDH beats spending $65,000 on a heavy duty truck.

If you offer to pull it off the lot NOW, they may be willing to cut you a better deal since they won't have to store it all winter on their property. A lot of them will offer to store it for "free" until spring, but that takes up valuable space on their lot. Just a thought.

Have fun shopping!

3. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

Thanks for the input. I do plan on staying comfortably under the max tow and tongue for the Titan. The problem is getting something that the Admiral will accept. We are starting to look now due to the "Off Season" for trailer sales.

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Good luck in your search & keep us posted! Went dark in May and haven't looked back. I'm sure someone will be thrilled to find a year-old pup they can enjoy!

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Having a real bathroom and refrigerator is hard to beat..

6. HC1

HC1 New Member

9,000 is the least important number. Trucks always run out of payload capacity long before they run out of tow capacity when it comes to travel trailers. There are quite a few towing calculators online that will help figure it out. Don't be surprised if your particular truck can't tow anywhere near what you think it can.

xxxapache likes this.
  7. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

Yeah, I've been doing some calculations to figure out what the truck can handle and what I feel comfortable with. Luckily, it's just my wife and I. I will be retiring this summer so we want something that we can spend some extended time in.

8. HC1

HC1 New Member

Same here. Did tent camping then had a livinlite 10.0 tent camper, now I have a livinlite 21bhs. Nothing beats having all the comforts of home away from home.

Looks like the Titan can have a decent payload. The 21bhs is so far below my F150 ratings I can't even tell its back there, that is very nice when towing long distances.

9. cyndib

cyndib Member

We just traded in our 2018 Flagstaff in October and bought a TT Surveyor by Forest River. We're really loving the easy set up. Glad to see we aren't the only ones that changed our minds after only a few months. Loved the pop up, however once we bought a couple lake lots, we didn't want to worry about the weather and putting her up wet. Hope you find what you are looking for.

10. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

We plan on going looking Next week after Thanksgiving has died down. Hopefully we can find something that we like, can tow and can afford.

cyndib likes this.
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

What does your payload sticker say?

12. CGChief

CGChief Active Member

GVWR 7300
    Pax and Cargo 1267 lbs

J Starsky likes this.
  13. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Payload capacity of 1267 lbs is pretty meagre for a 1/2 ton - subtract the weight of everyone in the truck, the weight of any additional cargo you carry while towing, along with allowing for the weight of a WD system and what you have left is the maximum you have left to account for trailer tongue weight. The usual recommendation for gross tongue weight to gross trailer weight is considered to be 10% to 15% but I'd not tow with as little as just 10% and try to land somewhere closer to 14% on average, allowing me a bit of buffer those times I may for whatever reason be towing a bit heavy. Not a chance on the planet your truck can tow anywhere near 9000 lbs as even 13% of that would be 1170 lbs, obviously leaving you with not anywhere near enough for people, cargo, and WD. As with most 1/2 tons you'd be far better off with a trailer grossing not any more than ~ 6000 lbs loaded & ready to camp - 13% of that is 780 lbs, leaving you 467 lbs for everything else. Exceed your truck's payload capacity and you're sure to also exceed it's axle ratings, particularly it's rear axle rating.

xxxapache likes this.
  14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You will love going dark, If you don't the Admiral will. Good Luck on the search I hope you get a great deal on the unit you like. Good Luck and happy Camping

15. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

We found our 25ft Keystone Springdale last year. Fine shape, rear kitchen, mid bath. All the room a dude, a wife and two teenage gals could require. Not the cadi of light weight trailers, but it was approaching snow season, owner needed to get out and I had cash and a super tahoe. All the situations I love! Happy Hunting

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Guestimate 15% of the trailer GVWR for tongue weight. Your vehicle's max tow capacity is 9000lbs, so 15% of that would be 1350lbs. That's greater than your available payload (before adding passengers), so you know you need to stay well below that.

A trailer with a GVWR of 7000lbs will have a tongue weight about 1050lbs and a trailer with a GVWR of 6000lbs will have a tongue weight of about 900lbs. The 7000lb trailer gives you a minimum of 200lbs for passengers and cargo in the truck.

I would try to find something around 6000lbs GVWR at max to give you plenty of room to play with a tongue weight of 900lbs and 350lbs left over for passengers, etc.

Also remember that a WDH will weigh more than a standard hitch, so you need to account for that also.

17. Takamine

Takamine Member

Since a weight distributing hitch spreads out the tongue weight to all axles, including the trailer, does that effectively reduce the actual tongue weight that it transferred to the tow vehicle? I have heard this argument before, but it may have come from a salesman trying to make a sale. Thoughts?

18. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Let's not turn his post into a lesson on GVWR math, please. So many of these go down hill. Say your piece and be done, don't drone on and on, there is plenty of that reading to do if OP wants. Please and Thanks,
    John

emoney and neighbormike like this.
  19. Toedtoes

The tongue weight will remain the same, it will just "spread out" more instead of sitting right on the hitch. This can allow you to tow a heavier trailer comfortably than otherwise. I would suggest talking to a hitch company for details - they have a greater reason to tell you the truth than a trailer salesman.

20. Toedtoes

Not giving a lesson, just providing an explanation as to my recommendation to stay at 6000lbs or less on a trailer.