Moving your pop up by hand

suelaw

Jun 22, 2015
I saw at camping world a metal pipe with a wheel on the bottom and a 2 inch ball and they used it to move smaller campers around by hand. I saw one for sale at Harbor Freight and was wondering if it was really that easy? (just to re-position it a foot or two around the drive way)

Grn Mtn

Super Active Member
Jul 3, 2012
We use our floor jack to maneuver around inside the garage. It works beautifully!

Of course, our camper is pretty light. [:D]

gkraps

Aug 3, 2008
We use a Harbor Freight trailer dolly in the back yard (gravel) and sometimes in a very tight spot at a campground. Works well for my wife and I, when needed.

chefaleslie

Always looking for a great MOD
Feb 9, 2013
Sisters, OR
Our camper has a wheel on the jack and we move it by hand all the time. Even into camp sites, it's quicker then trying to back it in some times.

Customer

Super Active Member
Jun 5, 2014
It depends on;
weight of trailer,
ground surface,
ground slope,
how strong are you?

I can easily roll mine around in the garage on a flat concrete floor. No way I am moving it in my gravel drive.

I use my tractor/mower for maneuvering at home.

silvermickey2002

Morris County, NJ
Sep 11, 2008
Morris County, NJ
chefaleslie said:
Our camper has a wheel on the jack and we move it by hand all the time. Even into camp sites, it's quicker then trying to back it in some times.

We will do the same thing depending on the campsite. Sometimes it is just easier to move it around on those tight sites...

adrianpglover

Super Active Member
Jul 8, 2014
Texas
I had one for my camper. Problem was it's too heavy and I'd add one more thing to Customer's list above:

Depends on the type and inflation of your tires.

Ours are very knobby tires so they have more rolling resistance at low speed when compared to your average trailer tire.

We got rid of our HF dolly as we could maneuver it, but it took both of us to get the camper started moving and there was no way it was going to get up the 1" step into the garage. Instead I learned to use the TV to put it where I need it. There are powered versions on the marked, but they're cost prohibitive.

Jughed

Aug 14, 2015
I am going to get the H/F dolly soon. Wife and I can move the Pup on the smooth garage surface, but our drive is rough concrete with embedded stone. Its putting stress on and busting up the plastic wheel, and I have to lift the PUP to turn the wheel to steer.

Harvardroger

If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!
Sep 5, 2011
swordfish said:
This is an overkill for moving your pup around your driveway, but I got it for $272 for otherwise an impossible maneuver over 100 feet of narrow way and slope. Gear reduction and brake make it easy to move and safe. Overton's often has 20% off. Don't pay full price even if you are desperate.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Trailer-Valet-Jack-/-Dolly&i=97906&r=view

I have something similar. I use it on my asphalt parking area to move the PUP. Best $250 I have spent on the camper.
d30e13188cb7a00c70f160c3d405b776.jpg

tanyaewa

Jul 14, 2014
Even easier if our kids stand on the back bumper

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
swordfish said:
This is an overkill for moving your pup around your driveway, but I got it for $272 for otherwise an impossible maneuver over 100 feet of narrow way and slope. Gear reduction and brake make it easy to move and safe. Overton's often has 20% off. Don't pay full price even if you are desperate.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Trailer-Valet-Jack-/-Dolly&i=97906&r=view

Wow, that's cool. Can you steer that thing? Does it turn? Or is it only straight lines?

If I could spare the tongue weight I think that could become my next must-have. Unfortunately, I don't think I could spare the additional weight on my tongue (dual battery, dual propane, forward storage compartment... tongue-heavy).

HiFiDave

Singin round the campfire
Feb 1, 2012
The tongue weight on our Coleman E1 with front deck the dual 6 volt batteries and dual tanks is serious! LOL I looked at the dolly's for sale but none that I saw made me feel they had the balls to handle the load. Maybe they would but then, if I wanted it at the camp sites to maneuver our pup some? Dragging a dolly around? Naaaaaaaa

So I pulled the OEM wheel off, modded on some new wheels and we rather easily move our trailer around at camp sites, whatever...

Much cheaper than anything else I could do and for the few times we ever need it why...that's the ticket!

IMAG0948.jpg

LjohnSaw

So many fish, so little time...
Jun 24, 2011
Northern California
HiFiDave said:
The tongue weight on our Coleman E1 with front deck the dual 6 volt batteries and dual tanks is serious! LOL I looked at the dolly's for sale but none that I saw made me feel they had the balls to handle the load. Maybe they would but then, if I wanted it at the camp sites to maneuver our pup some? Dragging a dolly around? Naaaaaaaa

So I pulled the OEM wheel off, modded on some new wheels and we rather easily move our trailer around at camp sites, whatever...

Much cheaper than anything else I could do and for the few times we ever need it why...that's the ticket!

IMAG0948.jpg
HiFiDave,
What kind of wheels are those? Solid rubber, plastic or air filled? Where did you get them? I got some solid rubber tires from HF and they both weigh a ton and get flat spots really fast. I have to support my tongue with a jack stand when not actually rolling it around. I'd like to find some large steel wheels somewhere.

threebeachboys

Jul 18, 2005
We use a trailer dolly (can't remember if it is Harbor Freight or North Tool) to a move our Aliner in the garage. We also used it on our HW Niagara. We have a side-load double garage and a long driveway. Backing a camper in the garage is doable, but getting it placed where there is also room for my car is beyond my capability. I back up almost to the garage, then the dolly allows us to maneuver the camper.

The one from Overtons looks interesting. I wonder if I would be able to handle the camper by myself with it as it takes two of us to use our existing dolly. . . . .The reviews seem to indicate so.

HiFiDave

Singin round the campfire
Feb 1, 2012
LjohnSaw said:
HiFiDave,
What kind of wheels are those? Solid rubber, plastic or air filled? Where did you get them? I got some solid rubber tires from HF and they both weigh a ton and get flat spots really fast. I have to support my tongue with a jack stand when not actually rolling it around. I'd like to find some large steel wheels somewhere.

I got these at Home Depot. They are hand truck replacement wheels. Have grease fittings on them etc. They are hard rubber if I'm not mistaken as I didn't want to worry about air pressure. I don't always leave them on the jack and actually I rarely use them but when needed, they do it rather well.

colorado_camper

Super Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I saw this design on here a few years ago but can no longer find the thread so I can't credit the original designer. This is 1/2" threaded pipe and 2 wheels from HF added to the frame of the original dolly wheel. I am strong enough to move our 2k# PUP on my own and my DGF walks beside one of the wheels with a chock........ just in case. Works great for us, both at home and when camping.

DSCN0675_zps9a91a659.jpg

DSCN0677_zps49b16906.jpg

TDS-MN

Sep 29, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I had been just lifting at the tongue, and pushing it around as needed. But I realized that I'm not necessarily as young as I think I am, and purchased a trailer dolly last summer. Wow, makes my life so much easier when it comes to moving the pup around the driveway.

I have a dolly that came from Northern Tool locally, it has pneumatic tires, so it goes over the un-even surface of my crumbling concrete driveway quite well actually. I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty flat drive and parking area, and the dolly really lets me place the trailer accurately when needed.