Mr buddy heater

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Mtlangst, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

i am going to get a mr buddy heater to use on a trip to yellowstone this september. My question is can you use a thermostat with the heater?

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Not sure what you're question is.
    Mr Buddy doesn't have a thermostat. Does your pup have a furnace?
    You're only going to get a couple hours out of the Mr Buddy. You could heat up you're pup with Mr Buddy, and set your furnace to kick in later...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  3. Beekeeper1

Beekeeper1 Member

They do make an adapter that allows the buddy heaters to be connected to a 20 pound cylinder.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

No T-stat

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

No real need for one. My experience with a Mr Heater in a PUp is that I setup the heater on the dinette table and it will, even on low, keep the camper nice and warm.

6. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Big buddy heaters have a low oxygen safety feature. That just happens to coincide with about 5000 feet in elevation.
    Friend has one that works erratic camping.
    Manufacturer is no help.

7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I had trouble with mine so I sold it. We live at 6500’ and camp up to about 8000’.

8. popup 61

popup 61 Member

I've used ours in Yellowstone in May and September and never had a problem with it. I would set it to low an hour before bed and then set the thermostat in the pup to kick on when the tank ran out and never had a problem. It will run for 3.5-4 hours on low. It works great to conserve battery power for the furnace seeing as there are no hookups in all but one campground and that campground is closed for 2019 and doesn't allow popups (fishing bridge).

9. davido

davido Active Member

I have a Mr Heater Buddy that I bring along when camping without hookups in cooler conditions. I also have a furnace, but it took only one time where the furnace conked out to convince me I needed a backup plan.

But that's all it is; a backup plan. I also have a 12 foot long hose and filter for it so that I can run it off of one of my dual-propane tanks. Running it all night is no problem. But it's not without risk. the thing gets hot enough in front that a stray paper towel could ignite. It has tip-over shutoff, and low oxygen shutoff. It is designed to be used in enclosed spaces but I always crack a window at one end of the trailer and open the roof vent at the other when using it. I do have a CO detector on board, so I figure we're reasonably safe using it.

The furnace is a lot more effective, though. The forced air and higher BTU output of the furnace are better matched for the size of the PUP than the Mr Heater Buddy. But in a pinch, when the furnace goes on the fritz, it's so nice to have a backup plan.

I do get other uses out of the Mr Heater Buddy. It helps me keep my garage tolerable in the winter when i feel like tinkering on my bikes. And one time our home's furnace went out in January. We ran the Mr Heater Buddy along with all the space heaters we own, and were able to limp along like that for 24 hours until such time as the furnace could be replaced.

10. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I have the big buddy heater with the electric fan and its more than enough heat circulation. I prefer it over the furnace because its MUCH quieter and doesn't wake me up when kicking on every 10min or so. Keep in mind that I live in Montana @ 6000ft and typically camp closer to 10k feet. Obviously, I run a hose to my twin tanks so I'm not trading out bottles. Doing it this way, its no more or less efficient than the furnace, but is quieter and doesn't drain my batteries, either. Even tho I have solar, I've found that Montana skies are not always sunny. The only downside is condensation, so I try to keep a window cracked.

11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

The low oxygen safety in a buddy heater won't work at higher elevations. And no, there is no way to use a thermostat on one. They are a simple catalytic heater, really not much of any way to do that.

LOTS of RVers and tenters use them all over though, into some extreme temps. Some items I have noted using mine.

#1. Keep a window or vent open, per the MFG at least 4 sq inches of unrestricted airflow space.
    #2. Use a properly maintained carbon monoxide detector.

Now here is the part where I STRONGLY advise to to NOT do what I do, but I am going to tell you that I do use mine while sleeping. Keep it set up per the MFG directions, keep the air going, and so far, I'm still not dead. Of course your results may vary and I will accept NO RESPONSIBILITY for your choices.

12. Overland

Overland Active Member

Good input in this thread..

Are there several models to consider when purchasing?

13. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

There are 2 main "Buddy" heater models. The Portable Buddy. Which is the small one, offers 2 heat levels, 4K BTU and 9K BTU. Low and high per ceramic panel, and then there is the Big Buddy that has output choices between 4K BTU to 18K BTU. The Big Buddy is basically 2 catalytic burners where the Portable Buddy is 1. So you have can low setting on one, low on both, high setting on one, or high setting on both. Not sure but I think you can have low on one and high on the second...

No matter the model I highly recommend running it off of the 20lb cylinder. In order to protect your heater from the oils in the fuel hose though, make sure you use a Mr. Heater fuel filter. These are well known to have problems caused by dirty fuel supplies.

FWIW, My Portable Buddy heater has been in use since 2005.