MS Shepard State Park

Discussion in 'Mississippi' started by huizarr, Mar 21, 2011.

1. huizarr

huizarr Member

In the fall we are planning on driving from San Antonio to Kissimmee, FL. It appears to be about 18 to 19 hours on the road. We are looking to split the trip up into 2 days. The Midpoint appears to be around Pascagoula, MS. Near there is Shepard State Park. Anyone have experience there? Would that be a nice place to stay for the night on the way there and back? Thanks.

2. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

No experience with Shepard State Park.

Mississipi is only about 80 miles wide on the southern end; so, you may also consider SE Louisiana or Alabama as well.

If you want to stay close to the interstate system, I would suggest Fontainbleau State Park in Mandeville, LA as an alternative. It's one of our local parks that we frequent regularly. From there to the LA / MS state line is a short hop. There's also Fairview Riverside State Park in Madisonville (a few miles further west); however, I haven't stayed there. A bit further to the west (about an hour) is Tickfaw State Park in Springfield, LA (we've camped there numeous times also).

Southeatern (Slidell) LA is about 10 hours from Kissimmee, FL or half way your trip.

Hope this helps with options.

3. Kaytal

Kaytal Pop up FTW!!!

Hey, I currently live in North Mississippi. I'm planning on a 1 night trip down to Shepard sometime this summer. If you can wait till then I'll give you a full report.

4. MikeCav

MikeCav New Member

There are two campgrounds within 5-10 miles on the Mississippi coast - Sheppard State Park is very nice and rustic - stayed there for a week last year - They take reservations. The other is the Gulf Islands National Seashore in Ocean Springs. I love it there - stayed there 3 years in a row, but the downside is they are on a first come first serve basis. Give them a call as you get close - they cannot reserve a site, but will tell you how things look for openings.

5. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

Another Park to consider is Bucaneer State Park in Waveland. It was destroyed by Katrina. All new facilities and pool. FYI.