Multiple mods in the near future

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by jmcelvoy, Aug 18, 2014.

1. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

We just picked up a 2008 Jayco pop up camper over the weekend and my wife's brain is going crazy with all the changes she wants to make. She wants to paint the interior wood to a more modern color but I'm not sure if we need special paint or if any ole paint will work. She wants to put vinyl wood over the linoleum that is currently in there...is that ok to do? She wants to wire in an adapter light to run out of the 2 main lights and can clip to the bar that runs above the beds so there is more light in there at night. We'd like to add some lighting under the camper...assuming this is rope lights but not sure what and how. In one of the campers we looked at, the lady had what she called a vanity cabinet that clipped to the ceiling above the sink when stowed away. When the roof was up, she would un-clip it and it provided storage right behind the sink. We'd also like to get one of those mesh netting's that Velcro on to the awning to provide an enclosure around the awning. She also wants to add a 6" pvc capped pipe to the front and back to hold any poles (fishing poles mostly). We're also looking for any collapsible storage that can be place in the cabinets to allow us to stack up stuff. In addition to the cabinets, any storage that can clip or hand from the ceiling to allow us to pack our clothes or anything else we may need to keep stored.
    If you guys/gals have done any of these mods or seen them done, I'd appreciate a link to how to best do them with any links to the best products to use. This is our first camper and I want to make sure to do things the right way first with the right products. Thanks

2. beaverestate

beaverestate New Member

I can answer the paint question. We painted our vintage (old) motorhome this spring and may do our popup eventually. We sanded, used a very good primer, and bought a paint that has a moisture addiive; usually found in bath and kitchen paint. We used Behr Marquee (home depot Canada). We drove to the Yukon with two teens and a HUGE dog (two week trip) and the paint stood up really well, with only one or two scratches from the dog's claws.

Enjoy your new popup! [;)]

3. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

If your light fixtures by the bunks have what looks like an RCA jack on it, you can buy fan/bunk lights that clip to the shepherds poles and plug into that jack.

Something like these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0021W3QVK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1408373521&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

4. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

There are a lot of good ideas here on the forum. I've done several mods to my popup, here are a couple of the storage mod's.

Bunk End Shelf - click here for more detail.
    [​IMG]

Kitchen Shelf - click here for more detail.
    [​IMG]

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    As others have said,t here are lots of ideas on the forum - and some of us have even posted good ideas we've had that didn't work very well!

Reading through the sections in the "In the Garage" and and "At the Campsite" will give you ideas for the mods you want to do, and probably even more.

We put new peel and stick tile over the original flooring in our previous pup, it worked OK, at least for the two seasons we kept the pup after that. However, in some cases, there isn't enough clearance if you want to put it under the cupboards; during construction the order of work seems to be that the flooring is installed before the benches and cupboards.

Here is one source for the camper caddie:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLEMAN-FLEETWOOD-CAMPER-CADDIE-/130498102556