Municipal Code 19.45.065

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by opie232, Apr 22, 2015.

1. opie232

opie232 Member

Going to the City of Elgin council meeting tonight to participate in the agenda of changing the 40 year old code banning camping trailers and RV's to be parked in driveways of personel property. You wouldn't believe the things that are being said on facebook regarding this issues. Residents are treating us like social outcasts and one even said that we (RV Owners) should move out of the city to unincoporated areas. Anyway hopefully the bill will pass or at least be brought up for a vote. Wish us luck.

2. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Good luck. Keep us posted

3. R00

R00 Active Member

Wait...Elgin, IL?

I was born in that city. From what I remember an RV in the driveway should actually raise local property values...lol

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

At least I accomplished their goal for them even though it's in Arkansas. I find living outside of the city limits has advantages and disadvantages but most of the intrusiveness is absent in my situation.

My grandparents lived in Elgin and my grandfather worked for Lee Wards back when it was around. I remember that they had to store their Class C somewhere and got to bring it to in front of the house for only a day or so, making repairs, etc before having to send it back to Siberia.

Growing up, I was always amazed at the government regulation of nearly ever aspect of living in this city, from how tree limbs needed to be cut to a certain length and bundled with string to a myriad of other minutiae. I loved visiting Elgin but am glad to be living where I am currently. I wish you luck in getting the regulations changed.

5. opie232

opie232 Member

Wow, I am supprised that people actually know where Elgin is. I dont think having a nice RV or PUP in the drive will do any additional damage to the cities reputation. Overcrowding of homes, to many cars parked on the street, my neighbor who has some kind of prairie plants growing in his yard instead of grass etc.

6. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

If I leave my trailer in the drive way for more than 24 hours I will get a letter from the HOA in about two days telling me about my "violation". I'm not knocking the HOA but some of their rules are ridiculous. Case in point: I'm not supposed to leave my garage door open. Only to enter and exit. Sorry HOA, if I'm working in the garage I'm leaving the door open.

Phoodieman

7. R00

R00 Active Member

Like I say, I was born there, grew up in Algonquin, my mom was born in Barrington before Rt. 59 was much more than dirt lol

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

My bro-in-law lives in a suburb of Ottawa. They have a similar by-law in their area. No utility trailers, no Pups, no TT's, no boats, no whatever else you can think of can be parked in your driveway. But the boundary for the the by-law stops 2 streets over from his street. One small block away, you can park anything you want in the driveway, go figure.

Good luck on your council meeting tonight, hope it goes well.

9. zorak

zorak Member

Yep. I saw the title of the post refer to a city ordinance, so I knew something absurd was involved. Don't feel bad. I live in an unincorporated area, but when I decided to be honest and get a permit to build a shed, i found out the floor would have to be inspected, then the framing. I told him "IT'S JUST A SHED" . Ya'll didn't inspect the garage I built in 2001. The response was, "I wasn't the inspector then!" I know it isn't nearyl as bas as the OP . Just another example of government getting even more stupid!

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Wish you luck. Nothing like that will ever happen here. That's the biggest problem about living in the city. The dang rules only get stricter not more lenient and the fines they charge get higher and higher. If only we can have the best of both worlds. Best of luck.

11. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We built a shed several years ago and pulled a permit to be in compliance. I asked how I scheduled inspections and was informed that there were not inspections. My next question is why the permit process other than making the city money. They did not appreciate my sense of humor.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I am glad I live in the country where the motto is, "sweep around you own doorstep first and you won't have time to worry about someone else s doorstep" Even when in the Navy I have never lived any place that would not let me park an RV in my yard or driveway..
    Good luck

13. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I would be happy to ONLY have to pay the money and not have the inspection!

14. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I'll wish you luck, But you can bet I wont live anyplace that restricts my rights on my own property.

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

As much as rules and building inspectors are a pain, there would be chaos without them. The majority of people can use common sense to build a shed or addition to the house, that is safe. There are always a few odd balls who ruin it for everyone else.

16. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

Back in the past, I had a friend the city told him he had to hid his camper in a shed, could not be seen from the road. He went to local sawmill and got a load of slabs, edge trimming from logs, and built the ugliest shed you could imagine. No inspections at that time. It did not take long for city to change ordinance

17. LaTuFu

LaTuFu New Member

This is my current dilemma. My wife wants to move closer in to the city from where we are now. Everything we're looking at has HOA or HOA-like covenants that restrict basic property rights. It's depressing.

18. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Luckily up here in the Northeast we have older towns that do not have these types of property restrictions. Asking permission from an HOA to fly an American flag would not make me happy. That is not a nice way to live. People talk about big government and all the rights they are taking away. I cannot believe the number of people that willing sign all there rights away to live in a certain area. I think it is nuts.

Vin.

19. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

You do realize that millions of houses and sheds are built without inspections right? Chaos free to boot....

20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Do you mean in the whole world? Go look at the shanty towns in India. I don't want to live in chaos.