Music and Camping?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
That is the song they play on the elevator to hell! Raining Bbloooooooooood from a lacerated sky! Love it!
Its atually amazing at the turn aroun on metal. When i was a kid tipper gore was banning everything and blaming the music for crime, drugs and gun violence. Fast forward years later and that song was played on the tonight show. Sports arenas play it etc. Lol.

Matt D Wilder

Feb 27, 2019
Man my first Slayer was the Haunting the Chapel picture disk! Hanneman and King together nuff said. Saw them at the rainbow in Denver 87ish again in Vegas 99ish bled both times. Hard to think Slayer is the sound track for the new Republican party[Guitar]

GaWalker

Nov 30, 2017
The Great State of Georgia
I am surprised that this thread got to page 5 and nobody mentioned Headphones, Earphones and Earplugs. I think some of these were available as far back as 2020. Amazing devices that let you listen to your music, podcast, tv or whatever as loud as you like and unlike your bluetooth speaker, the sound really will not travel past your campsite.

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Being sensitive to the needs and consideration of others is no longer "in vogue" in many places. Ergo, using headphones to be considerate doesn't happen as often as necessary, and therefore the need for these posts arose. I supposed a person could travel with "spare" earphones to hand out to the less-considerate.

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
We usually have music on but very low volume. DW makes sure of that. Last year we had a single girl tent camping next to us who was playing music kind of loud and dancing by herself. Was a little weird and I had to pretend I was not watching her so the wife would not hit me. Lol
Yes, being a single girl camping is so weird..... lol

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
Just don't fall asleep with them in, my right ear is screwed up. I was trying not to disturb my husband, sometimes when I can't sleep I'd listen to my little radio with an ear buds in, wake up and take it out, sometimes you can't feel it in your ear, what a stupid mistake. Now I just turn the volume veryyyy low. No more earbuds for me.

Sherronlee

Apr 10, 2020
Northern BC
One of our all-time favorite campgrounds had a no radio/tv/generator section. I loved it there! Unfortunately, we moved away from the area, so we don't camp there any more. I really don't want to have to listen to any noise (tv/radio/generator) while I am camping. I camp to get away from the noise of everyday life. I want to hear the wildlife, the wind rustling in the trees, kids laughter, the crashing waves of the beach, the crackling of a campfire, rain on the roof... The only exception is an acoustic guitar around the fire ~ I could listen to that all night.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
What gets me is a lot of the newer campers have speakers on the outside of the camper so unfortunately it kind of encourages people to play music to be heard by everyone. My ears are messed up so I'm sensitive to sound. I rarely play music myself and if the sidekick camps with me she uses headphones. I always keep foam ear plugs with me. Thankfully I've only had to pull them out a couple times camping. I love the generator free loops if available and a lot of state parks usually try a keep sound to somewhat a reasonable level. Now if only the city can do the same.

Terry White

Apr 18, 2017
I'm a musician and I take my saxophone and equipment with me when I go camping. I don't play at my camp site, but I go to an area (shelter, stage, etc.) and put on a performance. The best times are at noon or early evening when campers are preparing and eating their meals. I play easy listening styles of music (smooth jazz, soft rock, pop standards). I get positive feedback, and no one has complained. I try to be respectful of other campers.

PopAnimal

Oct 26, 2022
Southern New Mexico
Tent camping, I always brought a speaker with me as entertainment and as a " hey someones here" system for people and animals. Once , during local elk season i decided to use earbuds instead. After the camper about 5-600 yards away from me discharged a pistol round, while it was dark, i removed them and went to my truck for a bit. Turns out when i flagged the camper down heading home the next day, a mountaion lion had attempted to tussle with his dogs. Never will go back to earbuds outside of a popup. And i am not the type to have noise/light pollution outside of my camp.

unclemark

Overland Park, KS
May 15, 2014
Overland Park, KS
Up until about 7 years ago or so my camping experience has been back country. Since we have been going to campgrounds campers playing music is new to me. Don't get me wrong I like all kinds of music, but while camping I like the sounds of the wind, water rippling over rocks, bird songs etc. What I can't understand is why some people feel they have to play their music so loud the rest of us have to hear it? I find it annoying, especially late at night. I thought they made headphones for that kind of thing. I am considering bringing some type of "boom box" on camping trips. At least I can listen to my music instead of someone else's. I guess I'd like to know if I am alone in this or is my age (69 yrs. old) just catching up to me?
I've posted similar lamentations, but I've since encountered situations where music was essential. One campground was so tightly packed but also so quiet that I put music on to dampen the very-quiet conversations coming from the neighbors' sites. Another time, friends of ours invited 11 of their friends to our campsite, and music just seemed mandatory for that big of a party. Avoiding irritation in a campground is a complex process. Nearly all of our choices of CGs, sites, and camping dates revolve around avoidance of annoyance. And sometimes, a slight crank of the volume knob rescues us when other strategies have failed.

Drufus

Mar 19, 2020
I'm a musician and I take my saxophone and equipment with me when I go camping. I don't play at my camp site, but I go to an area (shelter, stage, etc.) and put on a performance. The best times are at noon or early evening when campers are preparing and eating their meals. I play easy listening styles of music (smooth jazz, soft rock, pop standards). I get positive feedback, and no one has complained. I try to be respectful of other campers.
My family will sing, howl, play djembe, melodica or guitar, hippy-shake-down style but only during the lunch hour. In many wa state camp grounds, the transition time is often from 11am to about 2pm, people have already left or not not allowed to check in yet. We have never received anything but positivity in response. It is man in nature, organic and connected. Not a willing offense to anyone but getting what we came for.
Play your horn Terry!
I always thought Santana’s Europa was a really excellent song for solo sax adaptation.

Bullfrog Bheer

Super Active Member
Feb 19, 2010
Central Wisconsin
I love most music and always have the radio on, however I will regularly walk off my site to see if it is too loud. That's why it really angers me when some other knucklehead 6 sites over has theirs turned up so loud that I can't even hear mine. I don't think it's the music so much as the rudeness and inconsideration. It just boggles my mind how more and more people are raised with the mentality of me first in all instances and to Hell with everybody else. No manners...no respect...no appreciation!

DanR

Aug 25, 2022
I love most music and always have the radio on, however I will regularly walk off my site to see if it is too loud. That's why it really angers me when some other knucklehead 6 sites over has theirs turned up so loud that I can't even hear mine. I don't think it's the music so much as the rudeness and inconsideration. It just boggles my mind how more and more people are raised with the mentality of me first in all instances and to Hell with everybody else. No manners...no respect...no appreciation!
I find myself being the one to not want to disrupt others no matter what I’m doing. My brother is the type that will take a ski boat and race 60mph through a small fishing flowage and not worry about disturbing the people fishing. He is loud and obnoxious, I am very much not that way. Lately I find myself wondering how the same parents could have raised us.

Jul 20, 2014
I am surprised that this thread got to page 5 and nobody mentioned Headphones, Earphones and Earplugs. I think some of these were available as far back as 2020. Amazing devices that let you listen to your music, podcast, tv or whatever as loud as you like and unlike your bluetooth speaker, the sound really will not travel past your campsite.
Didn't the OP say, "I thought that's what headphones were for"? Or do you mean headphones for those of us who don't want to hear what others are blasting? That rather defeats the purpose of hearing the wind and the birds.

It's sad that today's world makes it sometimes dangerous to let others know when their sounds are bothering us...

Lois Martin

Mar 19, 2021
Montana
Up until about 7 years ago or so my camping experience has been back country. Since we have been going to campgrounds campers playing music is new to me. Don't get me wrong I like all kinds of music, but while camping I like the sounds of the wind, water rippling over rocks, bird songs etc. What I can't understand is why some people feel they have to play their music so loud the rest of us have to hear it? I find it annoying, especially late at night. I thought they made headphones for that kind of thing. I am considering bringing some type of "boom box" on camping trips. At least I can listen to my music instead of someone else's. I guess I'd like to know if I am alone in this or is my age (69 yrs. old) just catching up to me?
We're both old and I totally agree that music can be annoying. I've had people on the ski lift blaring their music, people on hiking trails, etc. I won't resort to playing my own unless it's inside my camper and only for my enjoyment.

Latest posts