"Must Haves" for the first time PUP owner

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by DelorFamily, Aug 7, 2008.

1. msims6

msims6 New Member

Re: \

Thanks for the lists. I read every page and took notes. Picked up a majority of items to make life easier for the family while on the road. We have done a LOT of tent camping in the past and both the wife and I did a lot of popup camping in our teens. I have one thing to add to the list. We just picked up a bluetooth speaker that is the size of a small amp. It is ac/dc powered and can run off of an internal rechargeable battery. It has an extendable handle and wheels like luggage. It can charge electronics via usb out. You can plug a tv into it. It has a small equalizer. You can plug in a guitar and a microphone and do karaoke. It is a Polaroid pbt9010.

Attached Files:

2. ShariGal

ShariGal New Member

I read all 23 pages too and am glad I did. Took plenty of notes, copied and pasted lists, and put a few things in my Amazon cart too. Thankfully we have a good many things already since we have been tent camping for years. Had planned to do a "Camp Driveway" dress rehearsal until the hubs told me it is illegal in our county to sleep in a camper in your driveway. Oh well, guess I will be making us reservations at the nearby campground.

Thank you to all the experienced and fellow newbies who have shared your tips and suggestions. I'm excited to get our PUP up and running!

3. Rockwood1950

Rockwood1950 New Member

Ones are one hundred unless you roll three of the (all three must be rolled at the same time), fives are fifty. Every time you roll you must get a scoring dice (either trips, one, or a five) you have to get 750 before you can stop to "be on the board". Once on the board you can stop anytime to add points. Secret is to get on the board early, we'll discuss passing to the next roller in a different post. Does this sound like the game you remember?

4. fletcher4pa

fletcher4pa Member

We keep an extra key hidden inside the door where we light the pilot light.

5. Donald

Donald New Member

Guys you are amazing !! this is my second day on this site and a very new owner of a pop up and already i'm amazed by all of this.

i just discovered the bal light travel trailor tire leveler and it has to be a must !!!

my last month first experience with my camper i was swearing to all the gods just trying to level my viking 2480st....

JerneyMoore likes this.
  6. pandora

pandora New Member

Re: \first time owner...

when we bought our trailer from the 86-year-old previous owners, we watched them put it up and down and were humbled...
    they gave us a laminated step by step list of all the how-to's. SO helpful, took all the guesswork out of it. we have yet to take it out. we needed a tow vehicle which we now have: a 2006 toyota rav4 v6. It has a curt 1 1/4 trailer hitch rated for 3500 pounds. I need a 2" ball mount with a 2" ball, but I am quite lost because there are so many different types. and heights....amazon has the whole package, ball mount, ball and pin, much cheaper than say canadian tire, even with our awful exchange rate, but people are posting in the reviews that amazon aren't getting the measurements right. can't find anything in the coleman manual. any ideas, anyone? we are going to bellingham in a couple of weeks, taking the rav4, we know the trailer needs a 2" ball, maybe we can find a hitch store there. anyone out there from bellingham wa?

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

8. edh

edh Active Member

Curious that they put a small ball on that hitch--must have already had a 1 1/4 bike rack or something. On my rav I need about a 2 inch drop, but you'll need to hitch up and measure first. I'm assuming that your camper's tongue weight is within that allowed by Toyota...

liz.s likes this.
  9. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

I was fortunate enough to get a Weight Distribution Hitch thrown in with the NTU PU. The rise of the hitch is adjustable. I played around with it until I found the perfect setting.

10. Dag1221

Dag1221 New Member

Re: \farcel is the card game

Farcel is the game

11. TheDuke

TheDuke Member

In your tool box, some things that are nontypical: adhesive velcro, alcohol wipes for when you apply velcro, extra pole ends (for when you break one), tape measure, electrical connectors and wire stripper, adjustable wrench, small box of miscellaneous screws, razor knife, electrical tape, WD40, zip ties.

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

And after having two fail, I now carry a spare self resetting circuit breaker.

[​IMG]

13. Donald

Donald New Member

well guys. my camper is under a couple of inches of snow and parked till April or May. i'M still building a list of items that, i believe to be essentials for next session....

collapsible trashcan, 2 inch memory foam, Reflectix panels , old fire place tools that i found in a yard sale. etc... i've already bought the bal light travel trailor tire leveler, and the battery minder. And of course the many other small obvious items for camping. if there is an item less obvious,, that i'm forgetting let me know.. !!

14. Samseta

Samseta New Member

Re: \first time owner...

15. Samseta

Samseta New Member

I'm hoping that you know that just because the hitch can handle 3500lbs that you RAV4 can pull 3500lbs. Check the axle limits for your vehicle.
    Good luck.

16. catseye

catseye all I remember is dirt...sky...dirt...ambulance

harbor freight pocket torch. This + pine fatwood starter = campfire professional.

[​IMG]

17. Justhavefun

Justhavefun God made the Earth beautiful so we can go camping!

Man that's a great idea! I have pride in myself of coming up with camping lists and survival check off sheets but always put a lighter or magnessium bar and never have thought of one of those little torches You know whats funny I'm a welder

18. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

...and I already have one in my shop toolbox!!

19. Justhavefun

Justhavefun God made the Earth beautiful so we can go camping!

I just picked 1 up today but forgot the butane

20. Camp JT

Camp JT New Member

I'm a LONG time tent camper who just got a PUP, got tiered of waking up sore from sleeping in a cot. All we do is boondock camping so to conserve water consumption we always take hand degreaser to get ash or sap off our hands with a quick rinse of water followed by hand sanitizer when it came to cooking. Saves space too.