"Must Haves" for the first time PUP owner

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by DelorFamily, Aug 7, 2008.

1. DandLBack

DandLBack New Member

Re: \

Throw a bit of dry ice in with the ice to keep it frozen an extra day or two

JerneyMoore likes this.
  2. gameofender

gameofender Member

Great list thanks again for a great community

3. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

At the start of the camping season I buy a gallon jug of water that I refill at home. This is good for late night arrivals at camp so we immediately have some water (like for morning coffee). The jug goes in the tv for day trips.

A thermos for keeping a hot pot of coffee throughout the day.

Cap lights for playing Yahtzee (and everything else you need to see) in the dark. (No dice cup, too noisy!)

Small collapsible tables for fireside convenience.

We carry our own firestick. It used to be an old rake handle - hard, dense wood. We've used the same stick for years! I pull a sock over the 'business end' for storage to keep the soot contained and it takes up virtually no space to store. (p.s. I tried painting the handle tip with glow-in-the-dark paint but it doesn't help to find the stick at night.)

Small tarp to keep firewood dry (camouflage colored of course). We have a (forest green) plastic tote for outdoor gear: kindling, firestarters, citronella candles, campfire lighter, etc. It sits out by the firewood and keeps everything dry. All that outside stuff can be smelly & dirty so storage in the tote keeps the camper clean when packed up.

I travel with two plastic totes of different colors, one nested inside the other. One is full of things that go between the house and camper (towels, new supplies, etc.) At camp, I uncouple the totes and have an empty one for miscellaneous storage. We call it the "closet". :)

LOTS of clothespins! They come in handy everywhere from closing chip bags to stringing camp lights.

One thing DH added on our last trip was a proper wrench. (Don't ask...)

I keep a supply of small and large zipper baggies and a roll of trash bags for all kinds of uses besides the obvious. We use plastic grocery bags for trash that we dispose of daily due to camping in the wilderness / keep the flies & critters away. A sturdy cardboard tube, like from a roll of paper towels, works well to stuff the bags in to keep them compact in the camper drawer.

We had a small 3' broom but upgraded to a full-sized because sweeping off the outdoor rug was a real pain in the ... uh, back.

Let's go camping! Are we there yet?!

KamperKel likes this.
  4. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Re: "Must Haves" for the first time PUP owner

large paper leaf bags make good trash bags as long as no critters are around

5. Osprey92

Osprey92 New Member

Must have item for Camping

Superglue! You can get a 3 pack from the dollar store. It's not only handy to stick stuff back together, but I have also used it to glue shut a pretty good cut on my son's leg. P.S. Have plastic wrap on your hands before gluing, or you might glue yourself to it!

6. Samovar

Samovar Moving up in the world from backpack tent to popup

Re: \ packing necessities

Thank you so much for this forum, I made a huge list by copying and pasting into my own doc. I will then prioritize, since we don't even have the camper until next week. I am lucky to live 2 miles from a state park to do a trial weekend with the camper, a bit further than the back yard, but a quick trip home for anything forgotten!!! Thank you everyone!! BTW, perhaps Hubby is getting the BAL tire leveler for Father's day.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Keep good notes on each trip (I found a place to add a dry erase board in the TT, which is very helpful to jot things down as we encounter them), and keep tweaking things until they are more or less stable. It took us more than one trip in each pup; we've had the TT for a year and a half, and are getting things about as final as possible. We not only camp through 3 or so seasons, activities vary (DH took his mountain bike last week), and we use it to travel and visit. For us, going from the pup to a TT was a larger change than from ground camping to 1st and 2nd pups. However, both pups required their own supplies never needed before - chocks, Lynx levers, etc.
    We last re-evaluated and changed our food supply boxes two years ago, when we still had a pup, and some of the other boxes after we bought a new TV this spring (we can no longer use the Thule roof tip cargo box [:(]). Road dust invaded the cargo area last week, which has forced us into changing things again. In the end, it will be better, as we will eliminate some things we realized we no longer need and change out totes to more dust proof ones.

8. jack64

jack64 Camping in God's country!

Good info here, compiled my own list with a lot of ideas from here.
    We do our first test run with our camper in two weeks at a popular local lake.
    This will get us ready for our week stay at
    Mt. Adams And Takhlakh Lake, WA in August.

9. HackFamily

HackFamily Member

Thanks for posting this, I am happy to get my 1989 Jayco on Friday so there will be loads of cleaning and loads of lists to be made!!!

Thanks so much.

10. johando

johando New Member

Re: \Must Haves

We are new to PUP. We have not yet purchased our new to us pop up, but there are some GREAT ideas here! Thank you!!

11. Toddler66

Toddler66 New Member

Heading out in our new pup soon. Thanks for these great ideas picked up a few I hadn't thought of!

12. upstate family

upstate family Member

This has been so helpful. I have been gathering items from around the house and on-line in prep for our maiden voyage. DH thinks I am crazy with my list but he knows he'll be thankful for it all when we are on the road. Thank you to all who contributed!

KamperKel likes this.
  13. groffster

groffster New Member

Thanks for this wonderful list. We just got our first PUP about a month ago and at just about done fixing the few things that need done to it. Looking forward to stocking it and getting some miles one it. The information and list on this post will really help us identify what we need to pack. Thanks!

14. windjammer

windjammer Rather be Camping. "All that wonder are not lost!"

We bought a power, surge protector, 30amp, at camping world, on sale. Last year there was a bad thunder storm, and the surge protector, we had for PU worked and saved our electrical things.

Thanks to all for submitting great ideas!!

15. Bob Loblah

Bob Loblah New Member

Re: \Year of Manufacture of My Jayco Travel Trailer

22Aug16.....I have an older Jayco ' Jayrunner ' Travel Trailer. I need to know the year of manufacturer.
    How does one decipher serial numbers....!!!...
    Mine is S/N CS175621062

16. ftfamily

ftfamily New Member

We recently purchased a parachute material hammock for our PUP for when the campsite has 2 perfect trees. Also a sequence game

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

17. HoosierPop

HoosierPop New Member

Bible
    Electric Blanket

18. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

Plastic zip ties? May not be essential, but they are cheap, light, strong, and have hundreds of uses.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mrkrag likes this.
  19. luckycamper

luckycamper New Member

20. mikem12188

mikem12188 Member

Bungee cords