"Must Haves" for the first time PUP owner

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by DelorFamily, Aug 7, 2008.

1. aftonini

aftonini New Member

Re:

Didn't read through all the pages, but we learned on first camp, a rug that goes around the metal step to prevent burning bare feet.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  2. Russellth

Russellth New Member

Re: \MUST Have

For me and my wife we take an old coffee maker so coffee is ready for us in the morning, the smell of coffee helps me get out of bed too. We also use the quick meals and a dutch oven. One thing to consider is Aqua shoes they can be found at Wal-mart and other location great for lake swimming and showers. One thing we take as a bonus is Funky flames for the fire at night turns the flames different colors, several brands available but the pine cones seem to work the best not sure of the name but adds a nice touch after a long day hiking while relaxing by the fire.

2005 Ford Ranger
    1997 Coleman Westlake

3. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Re: \

Surge protector, water pressure regulator, an extra hose and/or repair kit and extra fuses!
    Last summer at Ridgeway SP CO, the electrical in the CG kept going out over the four days we were there. It was a hot one! The camp host and Rangers were asking the land yacht owners (many were senior retirees and I mean no disrespect to them in any way - I envy them and hope to be one!) to limit their AC usage because the fuses kept getting blown at the park junction boxes. Keep in mind there was a sea of $100K units in the park. I realized what was happening the first day because my neighbors gathered in the roadway asking who had power and then the Rangers would show up asking which spots were out so they could figure out which box to go to. Then they started organizing how many units could turn back on in step in an attempt to not blow the fuses again. We unplugged the water and electrical (switched over to solar) while out for the day and let the fridge run on gas while we were out. A surge and subsequent low voltage when the system comes back on line and all the units kick in is asking a lot of your camper power supply.
    A few units got spiked by the water pressure. The in-ground sprinkler systems along the entrance, bathhouse, and roadway were on early in the morning then off around 9AM. Interesting to see the number of hoses blowing water from the hose fittings at the city water connection. Gave my extra hose to the family next door.

KamperKel likes this.
  4. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

patience.

Jim Haner likes this.
  5. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Indeed!

6. Alan

Alan Active Member

You forgotten two very important things!
    1. Always have a good fire extinguisher on hand. We needed to use one our first trip out and the one in the trailer was no good! That's a story in itself!

2. We keep a five gallon Home Depot bucket filled with water and placed in a convenient location, just in case we need to put a fire out!

omg3kids likes this.
  7. Symon

Symon New Member

LOL i never forget the coffee! fish would hate hate me if i had no coffee!

8. Colleen Banks-Shanahan

Colleen Banks-Shanahan New Member

I'm sorry if this is stupid. Is an RV extension cord different from a regular estension cord?

Adina*Moo likes this.
  9. Colleen Banks-Shanahan

Colleen Banks-Shanahan New Member

Is an RV extension cord different from a regular extension cord? Sorry had my pup one week now

10. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Not a stupid question, an RV cord (that usually comes with campers) is rated for 30 amps, a bit more than the usual home extension cord.
    It also has the prongs at angles and does not fit in a standard 120 volt outlet.

Alan likes this.
  11. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

That's a Good Idea! Will have to take another tour around a dollar store. Need a bin for recyclables.

12. Alan

Alan Active Member

Don't forget something to chock the wheel on the tongue jack! I recently bought a plastic donut for it off eBay for $5.35. Many of the reviews I read said they didn't last long, because they are hollow. So, I drilled a 1/4" hole and filled it with the yellow expanding foam. If you do this, beware you can end up with a yellow foam explosion and it gets everywhere! Fortunately I had glasses on which kept it out of my eyes. Close call!

13. JeepinAndCampin

JeepinAndCampin Member

Most important needs :)

14. RocketScientist

RocketScientist New Member

I also have a checklist on excel spreadsheet that I've been adding/deleting as needed. I'd have to agree making a checklist is probably the most important camping item, PUP or Tent. Not only is it good for not forgetting something pre-trip, but when you pack up to go home, you can use it to account for all your stuff. I have everything on there, right down to each knife and fork.

omg3kids likes this.
  15. Sls

Sls New Member

16. Sls

Sls New Member

Farkle is the name of the game, one of our favorites when camping

17. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I recommend an atlas from walmart which lists all the stores. If you find you are missing something, find the nearest walmart:)

Muller 5 likes this.
  18. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Great point! I had given up on the atlas a few years ago when I found the GPS in my phone to be accurate and reliable until.......I camped in an area where I had no service. No service, no Google maps!!

19. jswayne92

jswayne92 New Member

Amazon has several types of hanging organizers. Very great idea!

Parker Hansen likes this.
  20. ircommando

ircommando New Member

You can download google maps prior to trip, and use in airplane mode. I do this all the time when I go down to Mexico. In your google maps app of phone just open settings and look at "Offline maps". It lets you define an area of interest and download it.

RDWRER, Garrity and Parker Hansen like this.