"Must Haves" for the first time PUP owner

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by DelorFamily, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I bought mine from Costco. They generally sell them every year for $20-30 I think. I got the basic green one. Sometime I would like to get one with more of a design to it for looks, but this was cheap and relatively lightweight. I did pick up a set of Camco patio mat anchors and use them if it is windy or if I do not have my full kitchen set up on top of it.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. GMa Wee

GMa Wee New Member

I bought a collapsible laundry basket at Walmart for cheap. Just add trash bag.

3. Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul New Member

The Journal is a great idea! very glad I came upon this thread! Thank you!

4. Tanya13

Tanya13 New Member

Aloe Vera added to the first aid kit

5. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

My list:

1. Some sort of spirit level so you can get the camper nice and level.
    2. Some minimally adequate cooking gear.
    3. Camp chairs
    4. Seasonally appropriate clothing and bedding.
    5. A wheel chock or two and several 2x10 board pieces and whatever tools/cranks you need in order to set up the camper.

The goal here is to get you going with just enough stuff so your first trip is successful and not miserable. After a few trips you will figure out what you really need. There are tons of good ideas here, and some of them apply to most people, but others are more of a preference or “nice to have” vs “need to have” ... also doing without some of the niceties will make you appreciate them once you have them.

For example....I camped 4 times with just the 2x10 boards for leveling...and finally “gave in” and bought the BAL leveler - and It has changed my life and I can’t imagine going back...but if I had bought it out of the gate, I would probably still be questioning whether it was really necessary or worth the expense. I suspect a lot of the things you can buy are similar in this respect.

Definitely don’t think you need to run out and spend $1000 on stuff before you can go enjoy the pop up!

Steve

6. Thecampingfish

Thecampingfish New Member

FARKLE!

7. Vanessa Nowell

Vanessa Nowell New Member

We are first time owners also. Just went on our first trip. I don't know if you have a water heater, we don't. We sat our huge portable water container in the sun for hot water for dishes and showers (also need portable shower if site doesn't have them). A radio is a must. It not only gives you music, it will alert you in bad weather. Shade walls for your awning or canopy. And extra paper towels! All of the others mentioned are wonderful. Happy camping!

8. AmyK08

AmyK08 New Member

Great tips listed! I just got my PUP last July, so I am not as long time PUP camper. I have had a 30 ft. TT and tent camped.... My neighbor and I "time share" the PUP as the cost of the unit is now cut in half and we each get to use as we want. But since we do "time share" storage is a bit different as we have some "general" items that are left in the unit and then we each have our own "must haves" which as everyone know are different per person/family. Each time I have camped, I have discovered a new "must have". My newest ones - which I now love..... are the stainless, stemless, wine glass with lid and Tervis tumbler cups with drink shaker lid and Tervis Tumbler wine glasses (which we use for our mid morning prosecco)…. my traveling bar is always ready! As storage is always the hardest thing in a PUP, I recently invested in storage to go on top of the long cabinet. I got an IKEA foldable shoe rack (3 racks) with mud bin. It folds flat and is only about 3 inches high. It is about 36 inches long and I can add more racks/shelves if need be. It is amazing as the set up takes seconds and the added vertical storage for the things you need daily is amazing.

Vanessa Nowell likes this.
  9. Senft78

Senft78 New Member

1981 Skamper 114c with a 97 Bravada

10. Ironmonger

Ironmonger New Member

Some thoughts on packing & preparation:
    1. Always work from lists. Make them ahead of time. I'm lost without them.
    2. Never depart for a trip- long or short- without a thorough check of the camper and the TV. Lights, fluids, tires, etc.
    3. Plan ahead and don't try to leave in a hurry. It's easy to get distracted by departure deadlines and impatient kids. The planning and loadout is a part of the trip. Practice and preparation prevent it from being a miserable experience. If you've got kids of appropriate age, give them lists too. Teaching them is an important part of the camping experience.
    4. Take CASH. More than what you think you'll need. Include some small bills and a lot of quarters. I always have a credit card, but there are times when only greenbacks will do. Cash is the salve for your omissions and mistakes.
    My rig sits in the driveway much more than I'd like, so I have to make the most of my trips. Spontaneity might work once at the camp site, but not on the front end of the trip.

11. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

A high quality cooler.

12. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

I agree.

We did our first several trips with an old Coleman $40 cooler, and although it served the purpose, we were buying ice every few days.

after a good amount of research I went with a Canyon cooler and it has been an excellent purchase.

There are several high end coolers that are very good performers in terms of ice retention, but that’s not the only factor. For me i prioritized size / ease of loading and price. The canyon actually does quite well in ice retention ratings, but the smooth sides were important because I load it into my camper door/step area, and any bits that stick out would catch on things.

I have had the ice last 7 days in one case. Outdoor temps and how often you open it are significant factors, of course.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

When we replaced our old metal Coleman a few years back, the Canyon Cooler was the only one that fit into the space allotted to it in the 4 Runner (our previous tow vehicle). It worked very well for us. The only reason we don't use it much is that we have a good fridge and freezer in the Retro, so no longer need as much cooler capacity on most trips. The Pelican cooler we now have is similar in outside dimensions to the Canyon, but smaller inside, and even better insulated, works fine for tea, Gatorade, and the occasional lunch or shopping trip.
    Canyon makes a good product, a couple of months ago, I realized that the rubber latches on ours were cracking, so they replaced them at no charge. It and the Pelican both have latches that my cranky hands can manipulate, the Yeti, Ozark, and a couple of others are too difficult for me to reliably handle.
    [We have most of the coolers we've had over the years, they come in handy when we defrost the big freezer.]

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Every camper, or camper owner, I've seen has had some version of a "Happy Camper" mug. I think it is a mandatory purchase before the second trip.

15. Econ

Econ Active Member

"Must Haves" for the first time PUP owner

Less is more. Don't buy anything til it is proven you needed it. Don't buy in anticipation of needing something. If an emergency purchase 90% of the US population is within 10 miles of a Walmart. Let proven need see if it works into YOUR way of camping. We sold most of the stuff we were told we would need. Camp in your backyard for 3 nights before buying anything. Maintain a separate inventory for the camper so you don't " I left it at home". Always ask yourself " Do I really need this?" and " when is the last time I used this?".

Always ask "Why did I decide to pick up camping and how does this purchase effect that?" There are no Silver Bullet purchases