"Must Haves" for the first time PUP owner

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by DelorFamily, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Josh snyder

Josh snyder New Member

Well all those suggestions are good.
    My suggestion is a pop up hamper, like a trash can it makes the dirty clothes accesible when you get home to launder them.

2. AprilMae

AprilMae New Member

Carabiner clips--they work well with the clothesline or the frame of the pop-up sun shade. I've hung hats, broom, lantern, hand sanitizer, anything I want to relocate easily.
    Walkie-talkies--I always feel much better knowing I can reach the hubby when he solo fishes and I'm alone in camp. And they're fun.
    Also, I used a hula-hoop, and curtains to make an instant privacy "room" that I toss across the bed when not in use. Let me know if you want the instructions!

3. 1800 Blue Ridge Rider

1800 Blue Ridge Rider Passed Camping 101, 202, & 303 Gold Supporting Member

I only saw one other person mention these two items: a folding table for sitting things on while lounging outside and some basic fishing equipment if you enjoy fishing (we like corks and worms better than casting/reeling). Another VERY IMPORTANT thing is to make sure you have a lug wrench that will fit your PUP's wheel lugs and a GOOD spare tire! You can use the tow vehicle jack but you you might not get away with the lug wrench. If you're camping in the back country or boondocking it might take AAA a good while to get to you if you you're not prepared.
    A few other things my wife and I carry (and use):

Hammock (& tree straps or a stand)
    Gas camping lantern (& hanger)
    Bikes (not every trip)
    Kayaks " " "
    Fan & Aux. Heater (seasonal)
    Sm. Charcoal Grill
    Tarp & Poles
    Privacy Tent W/Porta Potty
    Outdoor Rug(s) & Stakes (helps w/keeping inside cleaner)

I am not a fan of the plastic levelers in the kits. I have a few hardwood 2x6's that I beveled the ends on and a few thinner pieces to level the PUP with. I use hardwood blocks under the jacks, not the plastic things. And make sure the spare tire has the same air pressure as the tires on the road. Put a new tire back there and keep a cover on it to help keep UV rays off it; make it an item to check each time you do regular maintenance.

4. 1800 Blue Ridge Rider

1800 Blue Ridge Rider Passed Camping 101, 202, & 303 Gold Supporting Member

I am on the hunt right now for one of these!

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connec...1642338999&sprefix=water+bandi,aps,187&sr=8-5

We have had one, in our climate, the rubber died in a couple of years, and I no longer use one out of concern for possible latex content. We also found we had very little use for them, although it seemed like a good idea. I have gotten more use out of a short hose, to fill jugs on the ground. In some of the campgrounds where there are no threaded faucets, filling water tanks directly is prohibited anyway. We use water jugs (we always carry at least 2 2-1/2 gallon Reliance jugs in the truck, too many years of desert living to not carry water) and a rattle siphon to refill our water tank during a campground stay.