"Must Haves" for the first time PUP owner

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by DelorFamily, Aug 7, 2008.

1. themetells

themetells New Member

Re:New PUP Owners

Thank you for the supply lists. We are new to camping and have purchased a N2U 1984 Coleman Columbia that we are going to remodel. Does anyone know where you can purchase new lettering?

2. tbone42

tbone42 New Member

Re: \

Great thread!
    We will be camping this weekend on our maiden voyage in our N2U pop up. Still need to do a roof rebuild, but otherwise it appears all other issues are fixed. We'll be bringing a tarp and bungies, I recommend everyone carry a few of each.

I am bringing a vast host of tools with me. Since I have a pickup truck with a cap, I have room to spare anyhow. I am making sure if I get a flat or burn out a bearing I am ready for it. Plus my screwgun and plenty of ammo to put stitches in as needed.

Also bringing a ton of rechargeable batteries (and the charger) so my flashlight and camera never want for anything.

Love this website.

3. edh

edh Active Member

Re: \essential items to take with

I may have overlooked this among all the great responses, but also a support pad for under your levelers, to keep them from sinking into soft soil. Also, in lieu of the usual jack, there are some neat new devices you simply wedge under your axle and then pull forward, and as you do they lift the wheel off the ground. Saw them in popular mechanics type of magazine in the past couple months, here's a link:
    http://www.discounttrailerjacks.tk/jacks-unified-marine-50080578-trailer-jack-easy-lift/

Muleteam likes this.
  4. raymonk

raymonk New Member

5. raymonk

raymonk New Member

Re: \must haves

Being a new owner of a 96 pup in great shape, it wasn't too long before reality set in and I started to find out all the little important things that are needed to get the TV in shape. So, I have to say the must haves are: a good proper hitch, oil and transmission fluid/filter change, some good tires and brakes. Luckily a call to the dealer made me aware that my TV already has a transmission cooler, and the suspension seems to be okay. Some of this I would of never have been aware of unless I read it here in this forum.

6. ike129

ike129 New Member

A must have is definitely a weekend backyard/driveway camping trip. A great way for the owner and campers to get used to the ins and outs of the PUP and fine tune your supply list without making special trips to and from the campground to the supply store on your first real outing!!

Enjoy!

7. GaDoll

GaDoll New Member

And I THOUGHT I took a lot of stuff...... [:D] [:D] [:D] (thanks for the list, I'm just kidding with ya)

8. kozmos

kozmos New Member

It's been a while since I've read through this thread, but I'll add a couple items I was very glad to have this weekend: weather alert radio and solar shower bag. We've had a lot of sever weather lately so I added a weather alert radio to our list. It went off several times this weekend due to flooding in the area of our campsite. It didn't affect us but it was nice to be aware of. I've used the solar shower before for hot showers when tent camping, hand washing, teeth brushing etc. but it was really nice this weekend for washing dishes as we cooked a lot and used a GSI dish set we packed. It only took a few hours in the sun to bring the water to over 114°! They're cheap and easily packable.

9. theonlytina

theonlytina Member

Re: stuff to have in PUP

We are tenters gone PUP owners this year - got the PUP in March & have been camping 8 times so far!

We found we needed a broom with a regular long handle - to get the stuff off we couldn't reach before we put our PUP away!
    Tina
    Mom & Dad,12 yr old girl & an 85 lb golden
    2004 Palomino Pony
    2001 Infiniti QX4 [PU]

10. HaloG

HaloG New Member

Re: Must Haves

one i haven't seen listed yet: a collapsible step-stool. but then, i'm short.

stacey short likes this.
  11. fergusonman

fergusonman Member

BEER,BEER, and more BEER

Mrs.Woody likes this.
  12. Pilot371

Pilot371 Member

As a suggestion - a surge protector for 30 amp hookup - Power at campsites an be questionable - a surge protector, which is somewhat expensive, will certainly avoid a much more expensive repair of the campers electrical system

13. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

Re:

I'm tall and still carry a folding step-stool. Just enough extra height for whatever may come up during a camping trip.

stacey short likes this.
  14. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Re: "Must Haves" for the first time PUP owner

Milk crate. Holds all your loose items...ropes,bungies,stakes,etc. Also doubles as a stool when needed.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

15. KathyB

KathyB New Member

Now that we've taken our NTU PUP out for 8 nights so far this year, this electric multi-sparker gadget is a must-have. I especially like to use it with the Mr. Buddy heater because the igniter never worked very well. It's spendy compared to regular lighters but it's great for those of us with weak thumbs (it happens) who always end up burning ourselves because we can't get things lit right away. [:D]

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57533-Olympian-Multi-Sparker/dp/B000EDSTAG/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

stacey short likes this.
  16. Chaviva

Chaviva love the smell of the outdoors and camping

TOTALLY agree with you!~

17. Norfolk

Norfolk Just let me fix this one last thing.....

Do-it-yourself mini-bar

One trip to the camp store can put a serious dent in your budget. The small packages of cookies, nuts, candy bars, etc... often cost more than if they were purchased at an off-site convenience store. The solution - stock your own "mini-bar" for camping. Walgreens and Rite-Aid often have very good sales on these items, all at a fraction of "camp store" prices. Most have a very long shelf life and will end up saving you money on your pop-up adventures.

18. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

Step stool and milk crate are good, and I always buy food stuffs that go directly in the trailer.

19. UrbanCamper

UrbanCamper New Member

- Folding Chairs
    - Collapsable Garbage Can
    - Small Folding Tables (Resin)
    - First Aid Kit
    - Toolkit
    - Rubbing Alcohol (for cleaning electrical terminals)
    - Q-tips (see above)
    - Fireplace lighter
    - Charcoal
    - Charcoal Lighter Fluid (optional)
    - Old newspaper (for starting fires)
    - Bricks (instead of wheels chocks)
    - "Lego"-style stacking blocks for leveling
    - Pots and pans
    - Cups, plates, bowls, silverware (washable or disposable)
    - Band aids
    - Cooking utensils
    - Sheets and blankets
    - Wife and kids
    - Sanitizer for potty
    - RV approved toilet paper
    - Duct Tape
    - Electrical Extension Cord
    - Various Electrical Adapters (not all hookups are created equal)
    - Water Supply Hose
    - Hose Pressure Adapter
    - Drain Hose
    - Elbow Adapter for drain outlet (optional)
    - Band Aids
    - Tarp, rope, stakes
    - Rubber Mallet (for setting stakes, though also good for repairs...)

20. nomoretent

nomoretent Member

I assume that list is NOT in order of priority (wife and kids) [LOL]

Todd Garber and Mrs.Woody like this.