my 78 starcraft galaxy swingout new pics!! new paint and new curtains

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by sidepockettroy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. sidepockettroy

sidepockettroy Member

After about 2 years of pleading with my wife to let me get a pop up, she gave in a few months back when i found a 78 starcraft galaxy swingout for $340!!!

replaced a canvas tear on the bed top corner, replaced a broken lift cable, rewired trailer lights and wired for battery and replaced a worn out faucet with a new Attwood pump faucet (off ebay for $36!!)

She repainted the inside from a deep aqua blue turquoise color to a nice National Park Service tan!!
    Her and her mom made new curtains to totally fit the time of the trailer!!
    And we added some new under seat and under bed foam to make a better "cushion feel"

all in all we've spent another $100 on it for a total of $440!!! little bit of elbow grease and some long nights out working on it and it's an amazing rig.

We just spent 4 nights at Lemolo Lake out by Crater Lake, OR and had the time of our lives and the trailer did amazingly.

within the next year we're going to replace the ceiling and work on strengthening the swing out galley area, as it's seen better structural days, but it's going to be in our family for many years to come.

see the before and after photo's here
    http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/sidepockettroy/New%20Tent%20Trailer/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

2. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

I grew up camping in a pup exactly like yours. I think it is awesome you took the time to fix her up. Totally jealous!

3. cyphan

cyphan New Member

Very cool!!! Great job with the curtains! That's the last step with mine and no idea what I want yet. I really like what you did! Your swing-out galley is really cool, too!

4. sidepockettroy

sidepockettroy Member

you should hit sidewalk sales at fabric stores or just fabric stores in general. take a cushion with you and just walk around. my wife found this fabric after about an hour looking around. you'll find something. it really adds some funk to our trailer and is a great conversation piece

5. Girl-Trapped

Girl-Trapped New Member

After getting out of my last popup and into my NTU Hybrid, the one thing I miss about my popup was the ability to cook outside--the hybrid's stove has an oven and thus cannot be moved outside to cook. So I've been scouring the local CraigsList ads to find an old popup stove that I can mount outside my hybrid (it has the mounting rail and quick-connect female propane line. . .) but to no avail. Just haven't found one.

Today, I saw a listing for a guy who had a bunch of RV parts and he told me he had some popup stoves. Turns out that I bought your EXACT stovetop and counter from this camper for $40! I'll put up a picture later to show you, because I'm very interested in how the whole thing is mounted and used, particularly how I can modify it to use on the outside of my hybrid. I LOVE the sink! And mine is that old 70's retro yellow color. . .

Nice work!

6. cyphan

cyphan New Member

Great idea! Going to see what I can come up with!

7. rweber937

rweber937 New Member

Route 66 curtains very cool.

8. freenaz

freenaz Member

Very nice [:D]

9. papachaz

papachaz New Member

wow, love the rig! those curtains are the best, i remember living on RT 66 in Ill for a few years when i was a kid! i'd love to fabricate that swing out galley on mine too, who knows maybe i can come up with something this winter

10. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Great Job!

11. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Very nice!

12. yogi

yogi New Member

Beautiful job!!

13. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Nice job :)

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

WOW! I'm totally taken with those two sliders!! Just too cool for words! [:O] [;)] [A]

Great job! Happy camping!

[:D]

15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Looks great!! Congrats on an amazing deal.

16. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Hello Troy. I commented on your PU when you first acquired it and posted. What a nice camper, and what a terrific job you've done restoring it. I wonder if Starcraft ever considered the same concept, but on the long sidewall behind the door and hinged at the rear corner, and including a full stove, two bowl sink and refrigerator!? It would have to have a fold down leg. Wouldn't it be nice to have the fridge in a position that you didn't have to get on your hands and knees to use it? And like yours, use it at a roadside stop enroute without opening PU. It's a version of my dream mod. But yours is da' bomb, and unlike my dream, it exist! Happy camping!

17. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Great job, sidepocket!
    One question though if you please. The countertop from before photos to after (with the new paint) looks so much brighter! Did you buff-out the countertop with some product or is it just the reflection with the new paint? It looks so much more White.

18. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

It looks great. I never knew that the sink raised and lower. (looks like it does anyway).

19. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Looks great, noce job!

20. Girl-Trapped

Girl-Trapped New Member

Here's the counter top and stove I'm going to modify with the mounting rail on the backside and a swing-down leg for the sink end. Also I'll need to get a quick-connect male hose to plug into my propane connection.

[​IMG]

Later, I'll figure out how to put in a water connection on the front side of my camper to fully utilize the sink!

Unfortunately, it'll NEVER look as good as it does in your '78 Galaxy. . .