My campground neighbor was astonished!

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by JeepMama, May 12, 2015.

1. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

We too are methodical about our campsites. We always have a broom, rake and shovel with us. Make sure all fire ashes are cold. Clean out the BBQ grill and fire pit. Clean under picnic table. Collect all trash. Always leave cleaner that found. Had a park ranger stop by and thank us. Txbum

2. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Me, too. And let me tell you, I heard my mother's voice in this way so much that it will never leave me. I am hearing her right now - "Clean up. Do it right."

3. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

I find this also applies in life, I am always teaching the kids I coach for soccer and baseball to leave the field cleaner than you found it.

I always have to walk the fields before the games to look for needles and glass, but after every game or practice the kids know to clean up. We have spread this to the entire soccer league, and we stand out from other sports.

4. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

We also have always left our campsite cleaner than when we arrived.
    Recently, while walking from the car to the grocery store, I was complaining to the DW about how much people litter. It hit me that since all I did was complain about it, I was part of the problem.
    I am now trying to make it a habit to pick up any trash I see, no mater where I am, instead of ignoring it or complaining about it.
    At parking lots, where there is trash everywhere, I pick up what is in my path while walking to the store.
    Can't believe I never made the connection to extend the "Keep Your Campsite Cleaner" rule to everywhere I go.

5. dirkdabass

dirkdabass Member

About thirty years ago I was backpacking at Baxter in Maine. After a grueling seven mile hike (including the last half mile labeled "Blister Buster Hill") I finally arrived at my reserved site. The campsite had been raked like a zen garden in swirls and there was a rake leaning against a nearby tree. The previous camper had left me a piece of art and a pallet of inspiration. I was ten miles from my car and probable twenty-five miles from a paved road - yet someone had taken the time and care to leave me a message: this is hallowed ground. I got the message. The places we camp are precious and fragile. They are not simply spaces to park our rigs. We owe it to ourselves and to each other to value these open spaces while we use them for our own enjoyment. Clean up? Sure. No prob. Glad to do my part.

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Would be fun to hear from somebody who leaves their campsite in worse condition than when they arrived.

7. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Ahh the only time it looks worse when we leave is either it was a torrential downpour where we leave tracks in the mud or the fire pit has more ash than when we arrived.

8. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Police the area indeed. All ex-Scouts, by my experience, follow the adage "Leave only footprints, take only memories". Sure, most CGs have staff to clean up after you depart to square the site away for the next campers, but it's a point of pride for me - I leave them no scrap of trash to deal with.

9. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I taught both my girls to love nature and to pick up from others. Long hikes in the mountains and small bag for garbage in the back pack is as important as water an compass.
    Policing camp site is a given.

10. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I love my harbor freight picking tool for just that same task, I have one that lives in the camper. Makes the work a lot easy.

11. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

The rewards for keeping a clean camp are not always in heaven. Some years ago while hunting out of a CG on the west side of North Park in Colorado a USFS ranger stopped to thank us for having such a clean and tidy camp. He had had to have a talk with a party at the other end of the CG.

We conversed for a while, and he said that the weather was about to change, and that the next morning it might be good to be up at the head of XYZ Park. Boy was he ever right! The downhill migration was on. Two hunters, two shots, two elk. Then two days of real work began.

His advice was clearly a reward for a pleasant encounter with hunters who cared about the environment.

When I teach Hunter Education classes, I always preach the idea of bringing out a limit of trash.

Wardog07D likes this.
  12. JaydeRaven

JaydeRaven New Member

I was a Scout mother for MANY years with my older son (all the way from Tiger scout to Boy Scouts). This is ALWAYS our rule. The boys gripe and grumble, but they do it, and I even have my 3 year old granddaughter doing it, too. Our most common camping site is Knoebel's Grove and, if you've ever camped there, you know that the sites tend to be quite messy with little bits of trash left over from previous campers. Our boys grumble that "That was there from BEFORE we got here!" My answer is always, "Well, now it won't be there when we leave."

I'm horrified at the way so many leave their campsites. I figure every little bit we do helps counteract a little bit... and it's a good lesson for the kids we are raising. No, you didn't make that mess, but this is OUR world, so it is *our* mess.

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

People must be different around New England. In my over 35 years of camping I can't remember ever thinking, wow this campsite is messy. I have camped off trail, in National forest campgrounds and private campgrounds mostly in NH and ME. I never see trash in the woods.

14. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I always clean up the campsite but that is partially to look for anything we may have dropped or missed when packing up. I also pick up trash while walking around and I have found many valuables over the years in recently vacated campsites, including camping gear and jewelry. If there is a host, I give it to them.

15. webhannet

webhannet Member

I **HATE** seeing cigarette butts.

When I get bored, I take the dog and my long-reach grabber tool - I pick up all the tiny trash I see - in the entire campground. Sometimes, it takes a few days, in sections.

Was I surprised to find I wasn't charged for the entire Winter's electricity bill! People notice.

More interestingly, I'd patrol the areas to see how many new butts would be left. The tenters were the worst, but the rest of the CG stayed fully clean for a long time - I was pleased to know.

16. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Well, you know, is not that they are easy to get rid off, even if you could "find a fire" anywhere close to you and if those things were "flammable", then maybe.... [;)] [;)] [}:)]

17. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Yes, well...I'd also hope that smokers would use the ashtrays in their cars, but the open window often seems to be the repository of choice... [:!]

18. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Yup, this is our motto too "Leave it cleaner than you found it", we always do one last walkabout and this is the kids camp job.

19. Angelzeyz86

Angelzeyz86 New Member

[;)] Good job! Leave nothing but feet print!! My boys are still on the younger side so I use a scavenger hunt to set up, and def keep them occupied by looking for last min things while packing to go.

20. RoseTheJinx

RoseTheJinx New Member

Our site can become a hot mess easily with so many little ones. We do a general pick up before we leave the site to go anywhere or at least once before bed. My husband only camped a few times and he is not the one to pack up camp. Then we do a once over after we pack everything up.

Cigarette butts... [:(O] [:(!] [:(O] I always do a camp check for those before I even let the littles out of the van. I have 2 little ones who will still pick them up and insert into mouth if they find them. [:(O] [:(O] [:(O]